Meant to have bought a van……

Gordon1702

Gas fitter
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve ment to have bought a new van, well new to me I spoke to the guy selling it 2 wks ago and put a deposit on it. Got a message tonight saying he’d been offered more than the price we had agreed on!! He is now saying he will give me my deposit back or I can pay the 2k more someone else is offering! What would you do?

I love @DXX response but I suggest that you don't get too stressed and walk away!

It is tough dealing with so many greedy folk about and recently I have struggled to avoid going absolutely nuts about people and the current way of the world!

Just remember that it just a big lump of tin and not worth raising your blood pressure over!

You will do better knowing that you are able to join the "not a tw@t club" and hold your head high!

I’ve ment to have bought a new van, well new to me I spoke to the guy selling it 2 wks ago and put a deposit on it. Got a message tonight saying he’d been offered more than the price we had agreed on!! He is now saying he will give me my deposit back or I can pay the 2k more someone else is offering! What would you do?
As already said, I couldn't proceed to do any deal with somebody like the seller. He's proved himself to have no integrity. I'd have to walk away.

Agreed. He’s just pushing his luck, so ask for your deposit back.

He is either bluffing, in which case you’ll soon find out when you ask for the deposit back, or he’s trying to squeeze more than 2k out of you to play you off against the other buyer.

Either way, not a straight guy and you will either end up with the van at the original price if he’s bluffing, or have the satisfaction that you didn’t get bent over a barrel and shafted by a chancer.

It’s fine, you are just being given the opportunity to have the full new VW van experience. Agree price, pay deposit, price goes up. You should ask the seller not to deliver till 2023, then it really will be like buying a brand new one. ;->
Well said, people climbing over each other to do the same with a vehicle that isn’t even built.

Definitely get your deposit back and walk away. A man’s word should be his bond. Good luck to the greedy bugger!

Tbh I’m gutted about it. I’ve had the deposit on it for a couple of wks and was ment to be picking it up nxt wk. The kids and wife were super excited as was I I’ve ordered new wheels for it. Deflated to say the least!

That is gut wrenching to say the least but like others have said, thats fate playing its hand and was not meant to be. Another one will come along in time which will probably prove to be a better buy. Whenever I put a deposit on something I want I go all out to collect asap in case the seller changes their mind for whatever reason.
Good luck with your search!

I can totally understand you being gutted and the family upset, but ca sera sera. As others have said, tell him you want your deposit back and wait for his move?

Back