Map Reading Light in Pop Top Roof

RealGoneKid

Hi

I’m looking at getting a flexicord combined map reading light/usb to fit in my forthcoming conversion.

Something like this

Question to anyone that HAS fitted one. Exactly where did you put It?

Im having a Skykine Aurora roof with a closing sliding panel at the front, and I’ve started to question whether that restricts me from fitting one anywhere. If it’s fitted in the roof on the side I am wondering whether closing the roof will damage it. If it’s cabin side of the roof to “poke up” into the roof how effective would that be?

I’ve seen one fitted a while back but cannot remember exactly where it was!

Cheers

Yes - I’ve got exactly that light with a non-Aurora skyline roof.

9F54E06B-642B-4C08-B8F3-B9F71C0C6C9F.jpeg

you can just see the base in this picture - it’s roof-side. I‘ve done the rest of the van conversion myself, but I had this light installed for me when I got the pop-top put in.
Plenty of space for it, but it’s not an Aurora.

Simon

Excellent thank you, looking at the light design am I right in think the whole stem is completely flexible such that it will lie flat for when you put the roof down?

In which case I‘m sure the maximum thickness of the light base at 15mm is the only thing that would compromise the roof closing, so surely not an issue.

Finally, assuming you just have one light in the roof, is it reasonably bright?

Cheers again.

@RealGoneKid did you go for this? Where did you put it? Have just had a skyline aurora fitted with sliding panel so having the same thoughts as you!

Thanks

@RealGoneKid did you go for this? Where did you put it? Have just had a skyline aurora fitted with sliding panel so having the same thoughts as you!

Thanks
Hi @Richie just had van back from converter with one fitted in the same place, roof side. Fits fine, we haven’t tested it out in full night mode yet though sure it’ll be fine.

Liked the design and USB functionality so much had another one fitted on the side panel by our base rib bed too.

Nice one, thanks for getting back to me! If you do get a chance to upload a pic, that would be great! Hoping to put one in next week :)

Thanks!

I’m just about to install 2 flexi lights in my Skyline pop top. Test fitted them and there’s plenty of room. Have 1 at each end.

I've mounted mine in the front left corner (roof side). It works as some ambient/reading light in the pop top or when angled down as a reading light when I'm sat in the (swivelled round of course) passenger seat.

It works better for when sat in the passenger seat (which was my primary reason for having it). If just for use in the pop top as a reading light then maybe could be a little more rearward (I've a lwb, might be better in a swb?)

Dead handy for charging phones etc too when in bed in the roof.

Reimo roof though and loads of room so can't comment on the clearance in a skyline aurora.

Some pics. You can just see the wires poking through in the second pic.

20210520_213457.jpg20210520_213512.jpg

I've mounted mine in the front left corner (roof side). It works as some ambient/reading light in the pop top or when angled down as a reading light when I'm sat in the (swivelled round of course) passenger seat.

It works better for when sat in the passenger seat (which was my primary reason for having it). If just for use in the pop top as a reading light then maybe could be a little more rearward (I've a lwb, might be better in a swb?)

Dead handy for charging phones etc too when in bed in the roof.

Reimo roof though and loads of room so can't comment on the clearance in a skyline aurora.

Some pics. You can just see the wires poking through in the second pic.

View attachment 116832View attachment 116833
Mounting mine in a similar position but the opposite side.

I like your finish above the cab where the roof was trimmed out. Have just cut my headliner to match the roof line, nerve wrecking to say the least!

Back