Noisy Reimo roof?

Arbee66

Bought our brand new converted camper back in the Spring (having never owned one before and therefore having nothing to compare). I am trying to gauge whether the slight noises that my roof makes are 'normal' or need investigation. Silence when going in a straight line but when cornering (especially, say, a roundabout) I get a gentle creaking and/or knocking noise from overhead (first thought was that my brand new van had noisy top suspension mounts but realised it was not noisy enough and above me, not in front). The van has a Riemo pop top with factory fitted Active Rails and is held down by the standard two straps at the front edge of the roof. If I open the window and place my fingers across where the roof and pop top join, I can feel a tiny amount of side to side movement from the pop top. I wonder whether I am maybe hearing two rubber seals working against each other but as an Engineer I need to know! Anyone else have similar or can simply tell me that this fairly normal from a pop top roof?

If a creaking noise is coming from above your head, then it will be the support bar they put in place after cutting the roof.
It's usually riveted on and bonded.
It can be a common issue from a poor installation or the bonding not cured before use.

I have exactly the same issue with mine! I have come to the conclusion it is the issue mentioned by evans1089 as I can replicate the creak by pulling on the frame inside with the roof raised. I’m going to try and find a reliable place to have it investigated and hopefully fixed as the noise is driving me mad. I won’t be able to do that soon so would be interested to hear how you get on. Out of interest which company did the conversion?

Hi to everyone on site at the summer camp. We’re looking at sleeping options for our T6 Kombi and like the look of the stuff from The Ply Guys - anyone here have their seating/bed options fitted we could take a look at. I know there are others who do much the same concept so would be interested in that too. We’re thinking about the Torridon + Clachan SWB Kombi set: https://www.theplyguys.co.uk/product-page/torridon-range
Thanks.

I have exactly the same issue with mine! I have come to the conclusion it is the issue mentioned by evans1089 as I can replicate the creak by pulling on the frame inside with the roof raised. I’m going to try and find a reliable place to have it investigated and hopefully fixed as the noise is driving me mad. I won’t be able to do that soon so would be interested to hear how you get on. Out of interest which company did the conversion?
What roof is yours?
Austops have fantastic customer service directly.

Mine is a Reimo Superflat. Ideally I’d be after someone in the North York’s area but will travel if it means finding a reliable fitter.

I also have a creaking noise when cornering at slow speed. I assumed that it was a suspension mount (mine has been replaced with VB Air). It’s never bothered me too much as I only notice it at very slow speed, but I also have a Reimo roof……..

Check the noise is not from the bed board rubbing at the forward end.
To eliminate this as the cause temporarily put some thin bubblewrap around both front corners where the bed board sits on the roof frame.
If it is the bed board it can be re-aligned by slacking the screws at the rear end and moving the front before tightening the screws. Some feeler gauges or piece of card each side work well to even the gap while tightening.
You may need to fit some small cushion pads as found on kitchen cabinet doors.

I have got rid of the creak on mine! At the weekend I noticed the roof was slightly off centre at the front so straightened it out by sliding one of the hinges back. I hadn’t driven it until this morning and noticed instantly that it was now silent. Same on the way back from work too. I’m glad it was a simple fix as I was worried it may have been a lack of Silkaflex during installation.

So, worth checking the alignment of your roof if you are having problems.

Reactions: CAB
Check the noise is not from the bed board rubbing at the forward end.
To eliminate this as the cause temporarily put some thin bubblewrap around both front corners where the bed board sits on the roof frame.
If it is the bed board it can be re-aligned by slacking the screws at the rear end and moving the front before tightening the screws. Some feeler gauges or piece of card each side work well to even the gap while tightening.
You may need to fit some small cushion pads as found on kitchen cabinet doors.

I have got rid of the creak on mine! At the weekend I noticed the roof was slightly off centre at the front so straightened it out by sliding one of the hinges back. I hadn’t driven it until this morning and noticed instantly that it was now silent. Same on the way back from work too. I’m glad it was a simple fix as I was worried it may have been a lack of Silkaflex during installation.

So, worth checking the alignment of your roof if you are having problems.
My roof has creaked on and off. It was clearly coming from the pop top bed where it sits on the frame. I initially used the sticky pads but found they moved and came off. I then used a strip of this along each length of the frame where the bed rests (As I happened to have it in my shed)

My roof has been out of line until Tuesday last week when it was fixed. No idea whether that was the cause and it was just masked by the sealant strip. I'd certainly recommend trying the strip though.

My roof has creaked on and off. It was clearly coming from the pop top bed where it sits on the frame. I initially used the sticky pads but found they moved and came off. I then used a strip of this along each length of the frame where the bed rests (As I happened to have it in my shed)

My roof has been out of line until Tuesday last week when it was fixed. No idea whether that was the cause and it was just masked by the sealant strip. I'd certainly recommend trying the strip though.
I had a strip of Velcro loop on each side of the frame as delivered by the converter, that’s pretty durable but still wore through.
I doubt that EPDM draught strip will be as tough but keep us updated.
I’m considering removing the bed board and using a bull nose router bit to make a semi-circular groove in the bed board each side. This can then have some hard O ring rubber superglued in.
Another one for the To Do List.

I had a strip of Velcro loop on each side of the frame as delivered by the converter, that’s pretty durable but still wore through.
I doubt that EPDM draught strip will be as tough but keep us updated.
I’m considering removing the bed board and using a bull nose router bit to make a semi-circular groove in the bed board each side. This can then have some hard O ring rubber superglued in.
Another one for the To Do List.
Mine came with velcro, which soon moved and came unstuck. I then tried the PVC cushion things, which worked for a while but got lifted and moved around with the bed board. The draught strip has been on now for around 5-6k miles and is still in place. It is stuck to the base of the roof frame and the bed board sits on it. Initially I had velcro on the sides too as obviously as the van moves there is chance of sideways movement. I haven't needed anything on the sides since I put that strip in.

Re above. I didn't actually mean velcro. It had a felt type of tape on it when I got it (not sure what it is called).

So update on my original post, I contacted Vanworx (who supplied and converted the van), and they immediately said run it over to them, which I did on Tuesday afternoon. They had a look for the problem (while I waited) and soon identified a failed bonding on the roof strengthening beam. As this needed some time to put right they asked me to leave the van with them for 24 hours, they supplied a van for me to use while they worked on the problem and I picked my van up this morning, good as new.
It would appear that the original bond didn’t adhere fully to the coating on the beam. Fair play to Vanworx, they dealt with it as you’d expect. As the old saying goes, you really get to see who your dealing with when things go wrong and Vanworx have dealt with it very professionally - quickly, efficiently and with a minimum of hassle for me. Top marks!

I had a squeek after i fitted my 3rd roof Grrrrr, it only takes one little bit where there isnt enough sealant (glue) or a bit that might just be touching metal of van.
Had to pull all roof lining out and cut bond to get front frame out, on closer inspection i could see where it was probly touching.
re bonded and plenty of bond around anywhere there might be a rub.
All was good after that.

We use around 8 tubes on a fitting frame.
Do it once and do it right.
Also van needs to be kept on even ground and not moved while it cures.
For me a same day roof fit and drive away is not possible.

Reactions: DXX
Back