Luke's Caravelle

It's going in to as close to a trusted Mechanic as I can find tomorrow morning at eight. Fingers crossed they'll do a good enough job to at least get me back in about four weeks lockdown/COVID permitting.

She's back. No knocking on the way home which was a mixed drive but only 20 miles or so. There is an ABS fault which a new sensor should sort out. Also, a slight concern was the power steering got very heavy just a s I got home. Seems OK again now. Just need to get it back to UK (with a socket set and some breakdown cover!) but COVID is probably off to see to that.

I'm off to open up the plenum chamber and check the top bolts when I get a couple of minutes too.

200 miles up into Abruzzo at Lago di Barrea for the weekend; van ran very well thankfully and I'm falling back in love with it at last!

It was the first night without a tent as backup and I'm well chuffed with the comfort levels. We slept very well (Red wine might have helped me here a bit!). The leisure battery and heater both worked a treat, again it's the first time I've used either properly.

I did a bit of cross country MTB with Boy No. 2 on the Saturday morning which was pretty rough in some places. We roughly followed a horse track along the waters edge and through some woods followed by some faster gravel track parts. .

20201010_101017.jpg 20201010_121210.jpg20201010_112419.jpg20201009_183135.jpg20201009_183054.jpg

Last edited:
After a bit of an experiment whilst out and about in the van this week I may have found a way to improve my pretty poor MPG. I've been driving it in sports mode on the DSG and 225 miles into the tank on mixed roads with plenty of hills the MPG is showing significantly better returns than driving in D mode! Sure it revs higher but my hypothesis is that the more responsive behaviour of the engine, not labouring in low revs and more use of the peak of the power curve is doing this. I'll not draw any conclusions until I fill up and work it out properly but I'll be well chuffed if this is true!

EDIT: I also meant to say that this is light footed but making progress driving and keeping up with traffic as opposed to driving it like a sports car and booting it everywhere.

EDIT2: A bit of reading of various other VAG type forums seems to corroborate this.

Last edited:
After a bit of an experiment whilst out and about in the van this week I may have found a way to improve my pretty poor MPG. I've been driving it in sports mode on the DSG and 225 miles into the tank on mixed roads with plenty of hills the MPG is showing significantly better returns than driving in D mode! Sure it revs higher but my hypothesis is that the more responsive behaviour of the engine, not labouring in low revs and more use of the peak of the power curve is doing this. I'll not draw any conclusions until I fill up and work it out properly but I'll be well chuffed if this is true!

EDIT: I also meant to say that this is light footed but making progress driving and keeping up with traffic as opposed to driving it like a sports car and booting it everywhere.

EDIT2: A bit of reading of various other VAG type forums seems to corroborate this.
Interesting, will be keen to see how it goes on a tank to tank range.

Well the new restrictions on movement from Italy meant we had to make a dash home Friday/Saturday. 24hrs to do about 1500 miles meant economy was out the window. I'll have to come back to that when normality, if it ever does, returns.

Good news is the shock fiasco seems to be over thank goodness! I've swapped the ABS sensor which was damaged, done an oil and filter change and fitted a new roof rack and some doka mirrors. Just need to figure out the RTT now.

20201020_130400.jpg

Well the new restrictions on movement from Italy meant we had to make a dash home Friday/Saturday. 24hrs to do about 1500 miles meant economy was out the window. I'll have to come back to that when normality, if it ever does, returns.

Good news is the shock fiasco seems to be over thank goodness! I've swapped the ABS sensor which was damaged, done an oil and filter change and fitted a new roof rack and some doka mirrors. Just need to figure out the RTT now.

View attachment 88702
I think the mirrors look great. How much do they protrude out compared with the standard mirror and do you find the larger size gives a corner blind spot?

Back