Luke's Caravelle

I think the mirrors look great. How much do they protrude out compared with the standard mirror and do you find the larger size gives a corner blind spot?

Thanks, I've flogged my old ones but will measure them in the next few days for a comparison. Importantly, they don't feel any wider when driving. I rate the view higher than stock, especially for reversing as I can see more. I have just bought a 2" blind spot mirror however but that is something I've been meaning to do prior to installing the dokas.

I fitted some new mudflaps over the weekend with my assistant, he works for biscuits! They are originally designed for a Land-rover so took a bit of adjusting to fit but we got them on and I reckon they're looking good now.

20201112_163408.jpg20201115_164037.jpg20201115_111907.jpg

Anything branded Britpart, needs adjusting even to fit the Landrover it was intended for, so there's no wonder you had to modify them to fit your van.

Anything branded Britpart, needs adjusting even to fit the Landrover it was intended for, so there's no wonder you had to modify them to fit your van.

Really, that is interesting!? They seem very hard wearing and heavy duty. That said, I know very little about the Land Rover after market scene except that it is big!

Thanks, I've flogged my old ones but will measure them in the next few days for a comparison. Importantly, they don't feel any wider when driving. I rate the view higher than stock, especially for reversing as I can see more. I have just bought a 2" blind spot mirror however but that is something I've been meaning to do prior to installing the dokas.

Thanks for the feedback, I shall buy a pair for my van.

Sorry Luke another question. I can see the three screws securing the mirror To the door. Once I’ve taken these out I assume the mirror assembly will come away. Will I need to remove the door cards to disconnect the wiring?

Sorry Luke another question. I can see the three screws securing the mirror To the door. Once I’ve taken these out I assume the mirror assembly will come away. Will I need to remove the door cards to disconnect the wiring?

No worries @Unimog, glad to help.

Yep, the door cards need to come off. I'd recommend having some of THESE spare too. It will make refitting go way smoother. Depending what electrics you have for your mirrors will determine what cables there are. Mine are heated and electrically adjustable and this carried over into the doka style mirrors which was good - just plug and play.

One note worth mentioning is that I had to pop the back cover off both mirrors and loosen the allen bolt to adjust the whole mirror assembly ever so slightly to put my preferred view in the middle of the settings if that makes sense. I also checked the wife's settings too, a must! I used a trim tool for this and it left no scars but I was worried it would break when popping the cover off.

Last edited:
Got the headliner, A, B & C pillars off today to dye them all dark grey. Its going well so far. 2 more coats to apply, then 72 hrs to dry properly. I might get one more done tonight or I might crack a beer...

20201128_164921.jpg

I also took the opportunity to improve on the factory soundproofing and add some insulation.

20201128_164758.jpg

I've got a pile of light grey plastic which needs painting now too.

20201128_164722.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, are you using Buzzweld paint?

I might do for the plastics. It's this stuff...

Just wipes on. There's a bloke on YouTube used it on his T5. Caravelle has fabric on the a,b & c pillars, need to work on rear headliner. That will be fun!

Scrap my last - if anybody does this I would advise against wiping it on. I ended up with streaks on the headliner. I spoke to the company I bought it from and they said to get an old spray bottle and spray the dye on. They even sent me another bottle to try it with. Anyway, the result is much better and when I eventually pluck up the courage to do the rear headliner I'll be spraying from the outset. Here's a photo, need to get some buzzweld for the plastics and it'll be complete in the cab at least.

20201224_160740.jpg

Loving the front runner & alucab combo! How're you finding the alucab? Is it a gen 3? Any idea on how much the combo dents fuel economy?

Having looked at all sorts of roof top tents, i've steered towards this one on your suggestion and it's definitely on the horizon ... somewhere

Loving the front runner & alucab combo! How're you finding the alucab? Is it a gen 3? Any idea on how much the combo dents fuel economy?

Having looked at all sorts of roof top tents, i've steered towards this one on your suggestion and it's definitely on the horizon ... somewhere

It certainly is a Gen 3. I've only used it once in Oct in the UK and I was too hot, really surprised by the insulation. I'm 6'7'' and fit comfortably in it. It kills fuel economy though. High 20's on my last long haul. I'm hoping to use it more from next spring.

Scrap my last - if anybody does this I would advise against wiping it on. I ended up with streaks on the headliner. I spoke to the company I bought it from and they said to get an old spray bottle and spray the dye on. They even sent me another bottle to try it with. Anyway, the result is much better and when I eventually pluck up the courage to do the rear headliner I'll be spraying from the outset. Here's a photo, need to get some buzzweld for the plastics and it'll be complete in the cab at least.

View attachment 96235
Did you end up using Buzzweld for the plastics? I’ve taken some of mine off today to give it a go. Any tips?

5CBA4106-7696-41C5-9A64-D31C93477331.jpeg

B8261E64-33F3-40F4-9CB0-5E05A6A982AC.jpeg

I'm struggling to get buzzweld to a BFPO mate. I'm bringing my lad back to school soon so might order some to go in the hold on the way back. Be interested to see how you get on.

A few updates; it's been a while but moving back to UK and working on my house has been top priority. I can however finally can see light at the end of the tunnel on the house project.

Anyway, the van has been to EcoMax Tuning in Peterborough. They did a DSG tune and a couple of other little jobs for me making the van much better to drive and more economical; No lurching from stand still, in either direction, or on a slope any more. Also, the gearbox uses the power much better and holds on to each gear for longer. It drives more like how I would drive a manual. And, to top it off, I'm getting a genuine 36 mpg instead of 28! I'm also finding the sweet spot speedwise for fuel economy now I'm doing about 300 miles a week again, so this figure will hopefully go up.

Also just got back from seeing Steve @CRS Performance to get the H&R ARB treatment and some adjustable drop links fitted to replace the cut and welded hack job I had to settle for in Italy. Needless to say the service was excellent and the van now runs like it's on rails. Well happy!

Still loads more I'd like to do when funds permit.

A few updates; it's been a while but moving back to UK and working on my house has been top priority. I can however finally can see light at the end of the tunnel on the house project.

Anyway, the van has been to EcoMax Tuning in Peterborough. They did a DSG tune and a couple of other little jobs for me making the van much better to drive and more economical; No lurching from stand still, in either direction, or on a slope any more. Also, the gearbox uses the power much better and holds on to each gear for longer. It drives more like how I would drive a manual. And, to top it off, I'm getting a genuine 36 mpg instead of 28! I'm also finding the sweet spot speedwise for fuel economy now I'm doing about 300 miles a week again, so this figure will hopefully go up.

Also just got back from seeing Steve @CRS Performance to get the H&R ARB treatment and some adjustable drop links fitted to replace the cut and welded hack job I had to settle for in Italy. Needless to say the service was excellent and the van now runs like it's on rails. Well happy!

Still loads more I'd like to do when funds permit.
Was it the TVS DSG remap? I am genuinely surprised that is makes such a difference. I feel my DGS is ok, but posts like this do make me wonder if it could be better.

Was it the TVS DSG remap? I am genuinely surprised that is makes such a difference. I feel my DGS is ok, but posts like this do make me wonder if it could be better.
Not TVS, he was a bit evasive when I started asking questions but it's made it much more 'normal' to drive, if that is the right word!?

Quite chuffed with my recent MPG figure on a 120 mile journey down the A1, must have been a tail wind. It's usually not far off when I work it out. Hopefully it's blowing northwards on Friday! Not bad considering I've got BFG tyres on.

I know, I must clean the interior this weekend.

mpg (2).jpg

Back