Luggage On A Tailgate Bike Rack?

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
I’ve seen a storage box on the tailgate of a T6. Is this just a converted bike rack or is there a dedicated box rack available. I’ve had a search and can’t seem to get a definitive answer

Last edited:
The box looked like it was hard plastic. It may have been a big cool box? But it was the rack I was more interested in

The box looked like it was hard plastic. It may have been a big cool box? But it was the rack I was more interested in
I suspect that it was just the VW bike rack with a box such as the one I linked sat on it.

I’ve had a search on eBay and I think you’re right. It looked very much like the powder coated black ones a guy is selling.

It is different and a T5 won’t fit a T6. VW now do a T5 style for the T6 if you prefer the style of it though.

Not sure how much variation there is. I got an as new t6 one on eBay so they do come up, jonny75uk often has new ones (sells on behalf of jct600 a vw main dealer in York) at a bit of discount.
Happy hunting

Davenjo on a post above mentions the Fiamma Box which does fit on a T6 rack.
I have one here and it’s a bit of a beast, not sure where you are but if you want to have a test run you can borrow my box (not the rack) for a month or so to see what you think. We are in Glos.
To be honest we thought it looked awful and decided to buy a LWB instead.

Davenjo on a post above mentions the Fiamma Box which does fit on a T6 rack.
I have one here and it’s a bit of a beast, not sure where you are but if you want to have a test run you can borrow my box (not the rack) for a month or so to see what you think. We are in Glos.
To be honest we thought it looked awful and decided to buy a LWB instead.
That’s really kind of you but after looking at the weight limit I think I’d probably just strap stuff to the rack as I’m guessing the box is pretty heavy. Sometimes when I’m leaving a job I have cable and tarps that are covered in wet mud. I’d rather leave them on the rack than in the back of my van. :thumbsup:

That’s really kind of you but after looking at the weight limit I think I’d probably just strap stuff to the rack as I’m guessing the box is pretty heavy. Sometimes when I’m leaving a job I have cable and tarps that are covered in wet mud. I’d rather leave them on the rack than in the back of my van. :thumbsup:
Box is very light, you can easily lift it with one hand but you are suggesting just what we now do, Chuck everything on the rack and then put elastic bungies over - much simpler.

I've got a T6 with a factory bike rack. I wondered if anyone had used this as a luggage rack and if so any tips on bags, security, waterproofing etc?

Have Caravelle rails in the rear and the seats are quite far back and limiting carry room. Any suggestions/guidance?

(Could always go for an LWB lol)

Back