Well, at least it might not be going into the engine.
Steam Clean / Hot Jetwash the engine bay and look for fresh telltale leaks.
That is exactly what I thought, I’ll be quite happy with a leaking pipe, it was the cracked EGR or cylinder head I was initially worried about.

The coolant has a sweet ish smell and is a bit sticky, slimy to the touch....

Liquid will always find the lowest point and air will blow it rear-wards when driving.....

The point being it looks like a coolant stain on the pipes to the upper right of that picture.

The leak may be higher up, and dripping down.

Last edited:
Update on mine - got it back from dealers on Thursday with EGR replaced. From what they told me on the phone, sounds like they did quite extensive work and testing although the worksheet I have from them just says "Replaced EGR" Been told it should all be ok, fingers crossed it will be :rolleyes:

Update on mine - got it back from dealers on Thursday with EGR replaced. From what they told me on the phone, sounds like they did quite extensive work and testing although the worksheet I have from them just says "Replaced EGR" Been told it should all be ok, fingers crossed it will be :rolleyes:
In another thread I posted that they replaced the EGR. Coolant came back on again this time the charge air cooler was replaced.

It’s been in to the garage, the hose has split because the charge cooler has broken away from the top of the engine mounting. It’s apparently an expensive fix, new cooler, mountings and various hoses.

I don’t just want to replace the hose if the same thing will happen, and having a charge cooler loose in the engine bay doesn’t sound like a good thing.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Evening all, I’ve got my van back today, new hose fitted and no more coolant loss.

the garage have said that the charge cooler has sheared off its mounting which is allowing it to flex a little and this is what caused the pipe to split through fatigue. If I leave it as is then the hose will probably split again. I must admit I suspected there was a deeper reason why the hose split so I’m not surprised by their description.

They say a new charge cooler is required plus some other modified hoses as specified by VW. The list of parts adds up to £1k plus fitting on top.

Is this correct? Should the charge cooler be firmly fixed to the top of the engine? There is definitely a bit of flex but not massive amounts. I would post a video of how much it moves but don’t seem to be able to upload to here.

Can you show us a photo of the sheared mounting ?
Could it be sorted with a DIY repair ?

Pete

Can you show us a photo of the sheared mounting ?
Could it be sorted with a DIY repair ?

Pete

I’ve had a look but think the mountings are underneath so not visible unless the cooler is lifted out.

I’m presuming the info from the garage is good but was posting here to see if anyone knows if the charge cooler is meant to be rock solid on the top of the engine or if they can/should move about a bit.

It's a shame you're not closer, I have aluminium welding skills.

That’s a really kind offer but at the point of spotting this problem I had only owned the car for 6 days. I’ve called the garage that sold it to me and they have agreed to rectify the lot at their cost.

I’ve had that single hose replaced so I can safely drive it the 120 miles to them without spraying coolant all over the engine bay and then they will sort out the rest. Can’t argue with their service really.

what would be a bit embarrassing is if they inspect it and say everything is fine, the charge cooler shouldn’t be fixed solid!

So if anyone knows how it should mount then I’m all ears. Having wiggled the charge cooler this evening it just seems to be held in place by the rubber hoses which does not seem right to me but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong!!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
Looks like it attaches using the rubber inserts on the edges if these pics are anything like what you have.

Back