LOOK At this tyre....

Hi, the T6 van bolts are two pieces and are so because they need to be torqued to 180 nm to achive the relevant clamp load and elastic deformation to retain the wheel, as you can see multiple resellers offer bolts that are 1 piece, have a taper not a conical seat, and will not achieve the correct clamp force or torque when tightened, its a constant annoyance of mine as i used to be responsible as senior engineer for wheels and tyres at a VAG group company and i have done many studies on wheel bolts, wheel retention and underatke the VW standard wheel retention test myself and i know first hand the consequences of the wrong bolts

Really good post, really good to know this kind of info.

Slightly off topic, but the cowboys at *essex Vans fitted 102 tyres to my T32 van. A few months later somebody on this forum noticed the tyres and sent me a pm. After reading up on load ratings and axle weights I went back to the numpty’s and they insisted 102 Extra Load could carry more than the 102 load rating of 850kg’s.
The moron at *essex Vans soon shrivelled up when I got an email from the Dunlop Technical Department specifically stating a 102 has exactly the same load rating as a 102 Extra Load. :rolleyes:

Anyway my point being, some people know what they are talking about and others seem to get away with making stuff up on the spot.

I love this bit from his website -

All of our work is carried out with safety at the forefront. :laugh:

I too am interested in this. So @RayC are you saying we should not use any wheels that use the conical non-VW bolts, I imagine that is all aftermarket wheels. I am genuinely surprised that if they are not fit for purpose that all aftermarket sellers use these and do not machine their wheels to accept the radius collared VW bolts. (I believe you are mistaken in your post where you imply that VW bolts have a conical seat. I am sure they do not, its the aftermarket that are conical.)

Hello, the VW OE seat is what i refer to as conical, the aftermarket stuff is usually a 60 deg taper, all VW OE bolts i am aware of are not 60 taper but rounded, however you wish to describe it, to answer the 2 piece vs 1 piece question, personally i don't fit 1 piece bolts, they are not correct for the application, if i do for show purposes then check the tensile strength of the bolts, i would use 140n/m not 180 n/m so you don't risk shearing the bolt, this is at your own risk

I too am interested in this. So @RayC are you saying we should not use any wheels that use the conical non-VW bolts, I imagine that is all aftermarket wheels. I am genuinely surprised that if they are not fit for purpose that all aftermarket sellers use these and do not machine their wheels to accept the radius collared VW bolts. (I believe you are mistaken in your post where you imply that VW bolts have a conical seat. I am sure they do not, its the aftermarket that are conical.)
sorry i missed the direct question, Dezent wheels take the OEM bolt, others like calibre use 60 deg taper with 36mm longer thread you need to be super super careful, its a messy mine field and second hand wheels missing bolts etc are a recipe for a disaster, if in doubt poke standard bolt through a standard wheel, measure how much is sticking out the back of the wheel and repeat on the after market wheel to make sure you have enough or not too much, thread engagement, i've had Q7 wheels where the bolts jam the rear hubs and they were from ATS with the supplied bolts so the quality control is poor on all this stuff, I know its expensive but shopping around for OEM and getting it repainted to make it unique or something like that would be my recommendation

Thanks for the replies. I agree with you about the length of the bolt having to be correct.
However regarding using non-OEM wheels with 1 piece bolts I am still shocked at your concern. Considering the number of Transporters out they that are running non OEM wheels and I can’t find anywhere on the internet, never mind this forum of a problem caused by this.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with you about the length of the bolt having to be correct.
However regarding using non-OEM wheels with 1 piece bolts I am still shocked at your concern. Considering the number of Transporters out they that are running non OEM wheels and I can’t find anywhere on the internet, never mind this forum of a problem caused by this.
its from technical experience, hopefully most people run around lightly enough loaded for it not to be to prevalent but for me its a big concern, i wont fit aftermarket wheels that dont take the OEM bolts

For info, Mcgard bolts have a cone seat and a floating collar.

This afternoon I have been mostly shortening wheel bolts....

Bolts-1.jpg

Glad this thread has come to the surface again.... as it sort of ties in with my recent post about load rated tyres fitted to the van on standard steel wheels being 107/109, yet the "swamper" style tyres I have looked at are all less than the standard hankooks I have on at present.... wheels and tyres are a personal thing for sure... and there are those that air on the side of caution... and those that only bother about how things look... in some respects... I suppose there is a place in life for both... but it is nice to get "factual" information to enable one to come to the right conclusions on the matter....

"yellowhound" I've got to ask... why are you cutting bolts.... surely that would be a pointer for them being the wrong ones to start with... or is it just me being a dumbnut... please let us know why and your thoughts on this.... if only to put us all in the picture... cheers...

Boysan....

Glad this thread has come to the surface again.... as it sort of ties in with my recent post about load rated tyres fitted to the van on standard steel wheels being 107/109, yet the "swamper" style tyres I have looked at are all less than the standard hankooks I have on at present.... wheels and tyres are a personal thing for sure... and there are those that air on the side of caution... and those that only bother about how things look... in some respects... I suppose there is a place in life for both... but it is nice to get "factual" information to enable one to come to the right conclusions on the matter....

"yellowhound" I've got to ask... why are you cutting bolts.... surely that would be a pointer for them being the wrong ones to start with... or is it just me being a dumbnut... please let us know why and your thoughts on this.... if only to put us all in the picture... cheers...

Boysan....
Why am I shortening them? Simple - they are too long. McGard don't make them in the perfect size for my application.

Back