Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

and a B2B charger a solar panel an MPPT some cable some heat shrink bus bars chrimper cable cutter stripper( we'll talk about that one later :rofl: ) mega or midi fuses..........it don't matter which type of van you have a combi a camper what ever.....there always gonna be a whole host of other stuff Zave

one fing always leads to another

I got my roamer battery and some blue gizmos working last week............but my battery was full bless 'em Roamer sent it that way.........so I charged all my dewalt batteries. so the sun could fill it back up again I then realised all my dewalt tools will now run for free by the power of the sun............so naturally I've just bought a dewalt polisher gizmo so I can one day polish my bus by sunpower
roamer power an'
blue power

Zave be warned there's a slippery slope here.........I thought my battery was just for camping !! A shunt thing was just for monitoring and a transporter was just a van;)

all the luck

stu
Luckily this is replacing the factory second battery. I've already upgraded the B2B with a CTEK 250 SE with built in MPPT plus a 160 panel. Happy dayz

-- NEW PRODUCT --

12v 100Ah Lifepo4

The NEW Roamer 100SMART2 is a ‘drop in’ LiFePO4 leisure battery with internal Battery Management System (BMS) and Bluetooth monitoring via the Roamer app. The 200A continuous discharge rate (400A peak) and ability to combine up to 4 batteries in series or parallel means this compact, lightweight battery packs a serious punch.

10% PREORDER DISCOUNT INCLUDED. DELIVERY 15th OCTOBER

+++++

+++++

1662299414814.png

+++++

KEY DETAILS​

• Nominal capacity of 100Ah at 12.8V
  • Up to 200A continuous charge/discharge
  • 400A peak charge/discharge (10 seconds)
  • Connect up to 4 batteries in series or parallel
  • Compact and lightweight - just 12kg
  • Integrated Roamer BMS Bluetooth App
  • Low temp charge protection

DESCRIPTION

The premium LiFePO4 cells provide an exceptional amount of power for their size, delivering a continuous charge/discharge rate of 200A. That’s twice the power of most of our competitors and enough to power an inverter up to 2600W. The state of the art cells also ensure stable voltage throughout the charge and discharge curve and a long lifespan of up to 5000 cycles at 80% depth of discharge.

The upgraded BMS will passively balance all internal cells, and also support installation of up to 4 x 100SMART2 batteries in series or parallel, with auto balancing for parallel connected batteries. It provides a complete range of protections including low temperature charging.

Roamer BMS App Integration

The Roamer BMS Bluetooth app allows you to monitor and configure your battery in real time using any iOS or Android device. You can view real time information on the state of charge, cell voltages and power usage, view and edit detailed parameters, and quickly identify problems with the integrated alarms.

Electrical Installation

The 100SMART is designed as a drop in lead-acid replacement and can be installed in almost any campervan, motorhome or boat. Terminals are M8 steel bolts (supplied with the battery along with washers and spring rings). You should ensure that any connected chargers are compatible with LiFePO4 batteries and configured correctly.

WARRANTY​

• 10 year warranty from date of shipment
  • Covers manufacturing faults, cell and BMS failures (terms apply)

TECH SPECIFICATION​

• Nominal Capacity
    100Ah
  • Nominal Voltage
    12.8V
  • Max Charge Voltage
    14.6V
  • Recommended Charge Voltage
    14.2V
  • Recommended Float Voltage
    13.5V
  • Max Cont. Discharge
    200A
  • Peak Discharge (10s)
    400A
  • Dimensions
    325mm L x 170mm W x 220mm H
  • Weight
    12Kg

++++

++++

see Roamer on T6F - @RoamerBatteries

++++

1662299897631.png1662299923025.png1662299916235.png1662299911059.png1662299905559.png

It looks to be quite a bit bigger than the Renogy. I’m not sure this would stand up under the seat?

-- NEW PRODUCT --

12V 160AH LIFEPO4​

++++

++++

The NEW Roamer 160SMART2 is a compact ‘drop-in’ Lithium battery replacement packing 160Ah of lithium power into the same compact case size normally used for 100Ah batteries, allowing for an easy upgrade from lead acid. This little powerhouse of a battery comes with a built in Battery Management System with Bluetooth that protects your battery and can deliver a continuous 2500W of power output (200A).

10% PREORDER DISCOUNT INCLUDED. DELIVERY 12TH SEPTEMBER

1662407466813.png

-- NEW PRODUCT --

The Daddy - 460Ah !!!!!! - i think thats the largest Ah in a single unit I've seen?

12V 460AH LIFEPO4​

++++

007863308cf4e6fc7489f%2F1607469016864%2FChewie-016.jpg

Roamer LiFePO4 lithium batteries for campervans

Roamer provides ultimate lithium batteries for off grid vanlife. UK stock and 10 year warranty...
2ea%2F1597863470814-3Q08IF4ASYFMEFU9SHER%2Ffavicon.png roamerbatteries.com

++++

The Roamer 460SMART2 is our flagship LiFePO4 battery designed for high power users and those looking to spend extended periods off grid. New compact cells with exceptional power density mean it can provide a huge amount of capacity and power, in a case the same size as our 300SMART2 battery.

1662407527451.png

just dropping this here to show how lithium tech has progressed over the last 24months. . . .

Team Blue is strong in this Ford Transit.

+++

DIY CAMPER VAN ELECTRICAL INSTALL (Start to Finish Tutorial)​

57,483 views Sep 25, 2022 This video will show you, start-to-finish, how we installed a full DIY Camper Van electrical system into this 2021 Ford Transit Camper Van.

1665043719483.png

++++

+++++

I was wondering if you could expand on what you run from the 160ah and for how long etc? Do you have a solar install as well?

I am trying to work out if a 100 or 150-170ah LiFePO4 is what I should go for for short non-EHU trips? I don't plan long off-grid trips where the van wont move, as most of our stays are on hook-up, but there are lots of sites we've seen that we'd like to visit for a few days but don't offer EHU. We run a fridge, charge the usual phones etc, LED lights and a diesel heater in the winter. No inverter and no solar setup.

Appreciate people's input and experiences. I dont want to spend more than needed but equally don't want to regret it later if we go for a smaller capacity. Thanks

Hello,
Does anyone have a link to the firmware .bin fil for a 100AH self heating Renogy battery. My BMS seems to be faulty/corrupted.
Thank you.

Renogy will send you the latest FW file . . .

raise a ticket here and they will get back to you.

++++++++++++++++++++

the latest version i had before was V1.1.9 for a RBT100LFP12SH-G1 battery

Thank you for writing back.

I hope this email finds you well. Kindly see the photo below for your reference of the release notes.

1669913606775.png
For further concerns, you can respond to this email or create a different ticket for other concerns. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3 pm PST. You can use the Case ID provided below as a reference

++++++++++++++++++++

I hope this email finds you well.

Please follow these steps in updating the firmware of your Smart Lithium battery:

1. You will be needing the RS485 to USB Serial Cable to complete the upgrade. You can find the item here: https://www.renogy.com/rs485-to-usb-serial-cable/

2. Please download the installer attached to this email. Please note that I've attached both 32bit and 64bit installers however you will only need to download the installer compatible with your PC. Also, this installer is only compatible to download on a WINDOWS PC. Unfortunately, we do not have an installer at the moment that is compatible with Apple Mac.

3. Follow the instructions on this manual: https://store-fhnch.mybigcommerce.com/content/RSCB1.8M24/SCB-Manual.pdf

In addition, I've attached the firmware bin and release notes to this email for your reference.

For further concerns, you can respond to this email or create a different ticket for other concerns. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3 pm PST. You can use the Case ID provided below as a reference.

Thank you,

Hello,
Does anyone have a link to the firmware .bin fil for a 100AH self heating Renogy battery. My BMS seems to be faulty/corrupted.
Thank you.
I guess it depends on what you are runing we have an 100A renogy and never use hook ups however we are only using a compressor fridge and led lights and charging phones ext

Xmas Lifepo4 Battery SoC Drift - - - - 2022

its that time of year again - Christmas & New Year,

a excellent time for me to hang my boots up and chillout for a couple o weeks.

+++

That means a great opportunity for some testing.

one of the tests i done over Xmas was the old - Charging the starter battery with a Mobile EHU battey pack trick,

which you can see over here --> [Guide] Battery Maintainer (for Starter battery) -- How I Done It --

1672920504816.png

++++

during this test i disconnected my "Ablemail starter battery maintainer" - [Guide] Battery Maintainer (for Starter battery) -- How I Done It --

which had the effect of dropping the load on my Leisure Battery ( LB ) to a very low current.

so what happend?

+++

well look at this:

The Battery internal BMS after 3 weeks shows 99% SOC - sweet right , the battery is full and ready to go.

1672920771554.png

well - not so fast,

i also have a Victron battery shunt connected to the LB, . . . this shows 66% SOC after 3weeks

1672920859453.png

so what's going on?

and what reading is correct !!!

well believe it or not the Victron is correct and the battery BMS is wrong !!

(This happens on all lithium battery's, I've witnessed it on all my POWEROAD, Renogy & Valance Lifepo4 batterys I've owned. - that use a BMS where the load draw is under the BMS min rated detectable current, which is normally below 500mA or even 1000mA in the case of the POWEROAD)

whats going on here is the loads on the LB are 0.48A or 480mA, which is BELOW the 500mA that the internal battery BMS can detect.

1672921062153.png

at the same time the internal battery BMS will show 0A being drawn.

in fact we have drawn 92.3Ah worth of power,

drawing the battery down to 66% SOC.

1672921151514.png

here is the 15day BM2 voltage logger plot . . . which shows the VA graph which is the LB.

1672921244739.png

+++++++++++++

so what now? -- what do i do,

i call this BMS drift or SOC drift, and as you can see relates to a drft in SOC from what the internal battery BMS will tell you and what is actually happening in the battery.

the drift will get bigger the longer the battery is left in this state . . . .

infact you can easily drain the battery completely flat like this (which i have done before).

the battery will show its fully charged . . . untill the voltage starts dropping off, which may cause trhe BMS to trigger some other Voltage related SOC charge reading.

but ultimately you will end up with a flat battery even though it shows full, or 50%, or whatever.

+++++++++++++

so what the fix?

well that's easy - just fully charge the battery again. to the real 100%, don't rely on the BMS readout . . . just keep charging until the current drops down to 0 (or bellow 1A with a standard lifepo4 charge profile )

I've tested this before with a Victron IP22 & IP65 chargers as these monitor the Ah capacity that's charged back into the battery.

you will see that even if the battery BMS shows 99% SOC. . . . .

the charger will but back 60% SOC into the battery.

its called TOP -BALLANCING, well that rather refers to balancing the individual cells within the battery pack to balance them selves out,

so its more TOP BALLANCE BMS DRIFT CORRECTION - lol.

++++++++++++++++

this is where im at today.

my Roamer 230SB battery is showing 99% SOC,

but i know that the Victron Smart Battery Shunt reading of 60%

so i need to recharge back to the real 100%. . .

in this case 40% of 230Ah is 92Ah according to quick maths.

1672922007016.png

im taking the van out now,

and I've reconnected the Renogy DC-DC charger . . .

and reconnected the AMT12-2

and know that i need to put about 92Ah back into the battery,

Ill set the Renogy to a 30A charge limiter, so that should be around 3hrs worth of engine run time to recharge.

1672922153829.png

+++++++++

ill update this later.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
For £44 more you could get a Renogy 100a with bluetooth if you use the 6% discount in my signature

For £44 more you could get a Renogy 100a with bluetooth if you use the 6% discount in my signature

thanks for that i was looking at the one i mentioned as its got what looks like the same terminal posts as the batter I've got fitted.

thanks for that i was looking at the one i mentioned as its got what looks like the same terminal posts as the batter I've got fitted.
Terminal posts if needed can be added. 12vplanet have them as do other sites (FYI the thread on my Renogy 100A battery terminals is a finer pitch than most std battery trminals & posts come with. I had to source some seperately)

I can't remember whether my battery came with optional terminal posts and longer bolts.

With regards to your linked battery, personally I'd prefer something from a more established brand. Cheaper offerings are likely to have not as good battery chemistry and a poorer BMS. I'd definitely want to know that the BMS blocked charging below 5 degrees.

I can't remember whether my battery came with optional terminal posts and longer bolts.

With regards to your linked battery, personally I'd prefer something from a more established brand. Cheaper offerings are likely to have not as good battery chemistry and a poorer BMS. I'd definitely want to know that the BMS blocked charging below 5 degrees.
My Renogy came with longer bolts as well but no posts & all the other posts I could find use cap heads recessed into the post top which the hex head Renogy bolts won’t fit :rolleyes:

these lok like the specs
1.Certificate: CE ROHS MSDS UN38.3
2.Upgrade Parts/Accessories: Grade A
3.Material: Lithium iron phosphate
4.Max continuous charge current: 1C
5.Max continuous discharge current: 1C
6.Peak discharge current: 2C in three to five seconds
7.Voltage: 12V
8.Maximum protection voltage: 14.6V
9.End Voltage:10V
10.Terminal: M8
11.Charging temperature: 0℃-45℃
12.Discharge temperature: -20℃-60℃
13.Storage temperature: -20℃-45℃

My Renogy came with longer bolts as well but no posts & all the other posts I could find use cap heads recessed into the post top which the hex head Renogy bolts won’t fit :rolleyes:
I ordered these off Fleebay. The posts fit the thread on the Renogy 100ah LiFePo4 battery I've just recieved.

Back