Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

From what you are seeing this battery would supply a continuous 100mA load OK (eg a tracker) even in sleep mode but the BMS will never see it?
Seems that way.

BMS logs 500mA and above.

I've had a replay back from Renogy about the - Re: RBT100LFP12-BT-UK - sleep/ shelf mode

link back up - Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

++++++++++

Thank you for contacting Renogy. We're more than glad to help you with your concern. Our apologies for the delayed response as we're getting a very high volume of email contacts.

Please be advised that the RBT100LFP12-BT-UK will automatically enter shelf mode after 24 hours if it is disconnected from any loads. This means that the battery should be isolated for at least 24 hours.

When on shelf mode, it has a low self-discharge rate and can hold the charge for a longer period of time. The voltage reading while in shelf mode should be its SoC when it is still in active mode.

The battery's Bluetooth should also be inactive hence it will not connect to the DC Home app. So as long as the battery is in isolation for at least 12 hours and is unsearchable, it means that it is in shelf mode.

Hope this answers your questions. Should you need any help, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,
Jericho

+++++++++++

1649395613196.png
++++++++++

So basically they have conformed our findings,

the battery goes to sleep and switches off the BT module,
the battery voltage stays at the terminals,

this is a nice feature from Renogy and i think i prefer it than the way that Poweroad have implemented there SLEEP mode. as they shut off the power. ( which caused problems with low power devices and monitoring (but is still a brilliant battery)(especially the HEATED version)))

i suppose the long term effect would be that the Poweroad would last much longer in storage mode than the Renogy when in SLEEP mode. - but how often over a 12mnth period would that be? - id bet not much.

so with that said - i think Renogys way it better. ( long term testing will prove or disprove)

+++++++++++

Or this is just a BLAG from Renogy and they have implemented this feature as there BT device was self consuming too much Ah over say a month ( ie static self discharge?)

so maybe they added the SLEEP mode into the BMS FW that JUST switches off the BT module?

we would need to open up the battery to probe the BMS to test this further.

FWIW - Renogy dont seem to state the self-discharge rate of this battery . . . unless I've missed it?

maybe the BT was draining the battery SOC down too much over a month?

++++++

1649396410144.png

ours is sitting here chilling with monitors connected to it . . .

1649396733225.png

1649396767028.png

the BMS (BT) is currently active, as i was playing with low load draws last yesterday.

1649396872690.png

and here on the BM2 7day plot you can see the voltage is rock stable with no drop outs . . . . .

1649396908245.png

BMS logs 500mA and above

I hope the BMS itself is still operating! What would happen if, for example, a 400mA load was left connected. The battery goes to 'sleep mode' and leaves voltage on the terminals, which I agree is good, but there is still current draw.

I hope the low voltage cut off would still work; I.e.the BMS is still active! Is there any information to confirm this?

yes agreed. . .

i believe the BMS is always active as with the other battery's BMS . . .

and that LOW VOLT trigger points are always active, as are other BMS trigger points..

its just the registered SOC % that can drift out of whack. . . . as the BMS might not pickup say a 72hr 200mA draw.

weve had this before where the BMS shows say 100% yet we have drawn 10Ah from a 100Ah battery so in reality is should be 90%.

in any case a Victron BMV712/Smart Shunt can be added to any system to monitor any real usage that the battery BMS doesnt picup.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

1649437431896.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1649437475838.png

in any case a Victron BMV712/Smart Shunt can be added to any system to monitor any real usage that the battery BMS doesnt picup.

Yes, good bit of kit but another chunk of money that should not be needed.

Maybe worth you doing a low current discharge test on this battery and use a BMV as a safeguard.

So has anyone fitted their new Renogy battery under the drivers seat yet ? I haven't had time to unbox mine yet

More info back from Renogy . . .

i asked if the BMS settings is adjustable, if the FW was updateable, what the rate of discharge was in storage ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for the reply.

There is no firmware update available for the RBT100LFP12-BT-UK yet. It is also not possible to change any BMS protections.

We don't have the data for the self-discharge rate of the battery. If the battery is in storage, we recommend charging the battery at least once every 3-6 months to prevent over-discharging.

Should you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,
Jericho

Case Number: 00393***

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1649654000451.png

1649654019165.png

The Renogy app is pure gash ,on android mine will not connect with bluetooth and the app won't let me add the battery . Cruddy apps are infuriating

It all looks like its charging fine but the app should show me all that looking at the play store im not the only one having the same issues .

Last edited:
which one. . .

i use the Renogy Home.

no issues . . . but you need to allow all the permissions it askes for.

i have it running on a few phones and tablets. . . ( all android )

i have mine connected to 3x batteries and 2x dc-dc chargers.

1650652053398.png1650652062829.png

@slocumjoseph had a few issues with the APP, but that worked out to be his phone being to old.

when we tried my phone it worked 1st time.

Last edited:
which one. . .

i use the Renogy Home.

no issues . . . but you need to allow all the permissions it askes for.

i have it running on a few phones and tablets. . .

i have mine connected to 3x batteries and 2x dc-dc chargers.

View attachment 154087View attachment 154088

@slocumjoseph had a few issues with the APP, but that worked out to be his phone being to old.

when we tried my phone it worked 1st time.

Hmm it was the renogy home app I did give it all the information it asked for , mine is a newish phone.
I will uninstall it and try again thanks for that .

Hmm it was the renogy home app I did give it all the information it asked for , mine is a newish phone.
I will uninstall it and try again thanks for that .
if it plays about . .

just switch off BT on the phone and back on again.

or try a reboot.

the APP needs location permission etc etc

. . .

also you need to setup your account before adding any devices.

The price of the Renogy 100Ah Lithium battery with bluetooth is less than the price of the Renogy 100Ah Smart Lithium battery, both before and after 'discount' prices. Is the 'Smart' version superior even though it's slightly older tech? The 'smart' version has a higher cycle count expectancy?

Can somebody please confirm if the Bluetooth version fits under drivers seat?

-- new product --

credit to @eirej for pointing it out.

+++

100A/50A - charge discharge?
Prismatic cells - 3000 charge cycles @?%
No BT or Monitoring

+++

1652810724461.png

Height (mm)

Length (mm)

Width (mm)

20 Hour

BMS Protection
Yes

Brand
Xplorer™

Capacity (Ah)

Charging Temp
-2℃~45℃

Construction
Lithium

Ideal Charge Voltage
14.6v

Lithium Cell Type
Lifep04 Prismatic

Maintenance Free
Yes

Operating Discharge Temp
-20~60℃

Parallel Connection
Yes- 4 Max

Product Type
Battery

Recharge Cycles

Series Connection
Yes- 4 max

Suitable for use with motor mover?
Yes

Suitable for wild camping?
Yes

Terminal Layout
Positive on Left (Layout 1)

Terminal Type
Bolt Through Terminals (Type 2)

Top Up Charge Voltage
13.8v

Voltage
12V

Warranty (Years)

Weight (kg)
1652810742284.png

Am I right in saying that there isn't much need for a BT capable battery if one already has a shunt monitor? Or indeed, vice versa?

@eirej id say having a BT APP enabled battery is MORE important so that you can read the battery data and any alarms or issues,

but then saying that. . . . most battery BMS dont log loads under 0.5A (500mA),

so if battery SOC accuracy is MOST important then a stand alone shunt ( Victron SMART shunt) is preferable.

so having both is the best of both worlds

i run both. . . and always see discrepancies between battery factory BMS data and Victron shunt data.

so the victron SOC is more accurate, but it cant give you battery alarm/temp/cycle count/cell voltage data

+++++++++

id say start with the battery factory BMS with BT APP , , ,

then if you like the monitoring aspect of things, then add in a smart shunt at a later date.

+++++++++

is it only me that see's the irony of Stepoe's Dad doing the Reapers day job.............jees I'm just waiting an clamp meters revisited.......that's preddy much certain death ain't it....there's no win here is there? Reaper 1 stu nil

B*gger

meanwhile back at the ranch

52234246421_05f02c05f0_o.jpg_S2I2447 smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

OMG

it's bed time

an I was gonna post all those pics I made too:(

Dell c'mon a lad needs some clamp wisdom and he ain't going away damn he's even got ya relay temp thing running..( ok much swearing lad was shattered)

..trouble is me lady was too hot 'cause of all the neadles they stuck in her at hos............ so she hogged the B2B space. and held on to the probe like the Gram Reaper

There's so much wrong with the world:rofl:

Oh shoot me how could I not?:p

is it only me that see's the irony of Stepoe's Dad doing the Reapers day job.............jees I'm just waiting an clamp meters revisited.......that's preddy much certain death ain't it....there's no win here is there? Reaper 1 stu nil

B*gger

meanwhile back at the ranch

View attachment 166158_S2I2447 smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

OMG

it's bed time

an I was gonna post all those pics I made too:(

Dell c'mon a lad needs some clamp wisdom and he ain't going away damn he's even got ya relay temp thing running..( ok much swearing lad was shattered)

..trouble is me lady was too hot 'cause of all the neadles they stuck in her at hos............ so she hogged the B2B space. and held on to the probe like the Gram Reaper

There's so much wrong with the world:rofl:

Oh shoot me how could I not?:p
??? Did you forget to take your meds again ?

Back