LifePo4-Request for advice about cell balancing?

1. Yes, 1hr is more than enough absorb at 14.2v. I absorb 40mins at 14v, and get fully charged, and balanced.

2. No, it should balance all the time, the two triggers for balance should be: cell start balance 3.45v and cell delta 5mv. That’s it, and let it balance all the time. Once the delta comes down below 5mv, it will stop balance, and will only start if a cell exceeds 3.45v.
After a while, you will see the cells will be staying in balance better.
My Xiaoxiang BMS will not allow cells to balance all the time. The BMS will only allow cells to "Balance when charging", or when I deselect this option, the cells only balance when there is no current flow from or to the battery.
This is why my cells balanced during an extended period of absorption, as no current flows once in this charging phase. The charge just holds the cell voltage above 3.45V and the cells balance.
Now my battery is balanced, I'm not sure of the best way to keep the cell voltages in balance.

I will leave the "Balance only when charging" unticked and the "Delta to balance" at 5mV, but with the absorption duration limited to one hour, I am concerned that this may result in insufficient time to prevent the cells from getting of shape over time.

That’s a bummer, in this situation balance when charging only it’s you best option. Don’t un tick. You don’t want to balance bellow 3.45v period. So best is to keep the option that balances when charging. Otherwise you will unbalance the pack again. I think this is a jbd bms early version.

Back