Dropping a few notes in here as I just finished fitting an Atoto F7 headunit to my T6 Transporter and it was tough getting DIY details.
I bought to Atoto F7XE unit from Amazon and I figured it was worth an effort trying to fit it and have wireless carplay and 10in screen for a fraction of the Kenwood or Pioneer equivalent screens. Aswell as the headunit and ancillaries that come with, I also bought a conversion kit (Connects 2 CTLVW17) from CEN Automotive.

There were a few hurdles; wiring the FM amplifier for power, choosing the right wiring loom to connect the head unit to quadlock adaptor and wiring in the steering wheel controls.

Firstly, the wiring loom; I originally went with option A and found the steering wheel controls kept losing configuration, so I tried loom B and this worked much better.

Steering wheel controls; after some googling and guestimation, I connected the Key 1 to Steering wheel control wire and Key 2 to Steering wheel control#, then GWD to the ground wire. This did the trick, once I'd programmed the buttons in the Atoto menu.

For the FM amplifier power I soldered this to the 12v power pin on the adaptor. However I haven't got the FM radio working successfully yet, so this will need more looking over.

The other point to note is that while the unit works great and connects to my phone via Bluetooth when I get in the van; when I ran VCDS for issues, there are a number resulting from the new headunit fitment, for instrument, radio and electrical system (missing message). None of this causes any noticeable issues with the van, but if anyone has any tips on what might be needed to get rid of these, it would be much appreciated!

Overall really happy with the unit; screen is bright, connects automatically and 10inch display makes the system feel really modern. Hopefully this is helpful for anyone attempting similar!

IMG_9407.jpeg

Good to see someone doing something different and reporting their findings on it. I'm sure the Kenwoods and Alpine units that get heavily recommended are great, but if no one else try's anything different how are you to know if there are any other options and as you say the Atoto is a fraction of the price for some pretty good specs.

Personally not a fan of the sticky outie screen myself, although i understand does result in less reflections in the screen than the normal arrangement.

Hope you manage to get the final bugs ironed out!

Dropping a few notes in here as I just finished fitting an Atoto F7 headunit to my T6 Transporter and it was tough getting DIY details.
I bought to Atoto F7XE unit from Amazon and I figured it was worth an effort trying to fit it and have wireless carplay and 10in screen for a fraction of the Kenwood or Pioneer equivalent screens. Aswell as the headunit and ancillaries that come with, I also bought a conversion kit (Connects 2 CTLVW17) from CEN Automotive.

There were a few hurdles; wiring the FM amplifier for power, choosing the right wiring loom to connect the head unit to quadlock adaptor and wiring in the steering wheel controls.

Firstly, the wiring loom; I originally went with option A and found the steering wheel controls kept losing configuration, so I tried loom B and this worked much better.

Steering wheel controls; after some googling and guestimation, I connected the Key 1 to Steering wheel control wire and Key 2 to Steering wheel control#, then GWD to the ground wire. This did the trick, once I'd programmed the buttons in the Atoto menu.

For the FM amplifier power I soldered this to the 12v power pin on the adaptor. However I haven't got the FM radio working successfully yet, so this will need more looking over.

The other point to note is that while the unit works great and connects to my phone via Bluetooth when I get in the van; when I ran VCDS for issues, there are a number resulting from the new headunit fitment, for instrument, radio and electrical system (missing message). None of this causes any noticeable issues with the van, but if anyone has any tips on what might be needed to get rid of these, it would be much appreciated!

Overall really happy with the unit; screen is bright, connects automatically and 10inch display makes the system feel really modern. Hopefully this is helpful for anyone attempting similar!

View attachment 223409
Useful info, thanks. I'm yet another person who has encountered the discovery media screen failure issues (2017 T6). I've also decided that a 2023/24 aftermarket head unit is a far more attractive option than repairing or replacing a 2017 OEM discovery media unit. And far better value than Kenwood etc. It's great to read your description of installation issues and the pic of the installed 10" screen is very helpful. Yesterday after a gallon of tea and a packet of biccies to aid my research and thinking, I finally went for the 7" Atoto S8 as I didn't think I could make the 10" F7 fit OK. You've shown it can be done. I'll see how I get on next week and try to post an update.

View attachment 223409
A follow-up question please, from your comment "wiring the FM amplifier for power", assuming that you removed a discovery media system. Does this mean that the Atoto does NOT have any amplifier built in? Or just that you added an extra amplifier to your system? Thanks.

A follow-up question please, from your comment "wiring the FM amplifier for power", assuming that you removed a discovery media system. Does this mean that the Atoto does NOT have any amplifier built in? Or just that you added an extra amplifier to your system? Thanks.
For the benefit of anyone else reading this, later I now know that my Atoto S8 and most Atotos have an integrated amp for "standard" speaker arrangements, and lots of outputs for extra speakers and amps. 8 wires for the usual F&R and L&R pairs of speakers going to a pair of ISO connectors, and several RCA outputs (and inputs) for other video and audio.

Back