Jim's LWB 4motion Build

jimthevan

T6 Pro
Well I thought it was about time I put a build log together after gaining so much info on here I thought I would share my experiences......

So here is my 2016 LWB 4motion 140 in Indium Grey as I brought it from a lovely guy who was a carpenter in Inverness:

2023-06-14 21.19.49.jpg2023-06-14 21.28.31.jpg

I wont bore you with the usual strip out and insulation pics so after removing the bulkhead a good clean, sound deadning, thermal liner, insulation, it was onto the rear windows..

2023-09-01 17.24.18.jpg2023-09-01 18.52.15.jpg2023-09-02 11.16.55.jpg

I wanted to fit the pop top myself but only one company would supply me the kit - Streamline - and this worked out just as expensive as getting one fitted.
After much deliberation I decided to go with Skyline pop tops - the standard version as I think it looks better than the Aurora model. Moon rock canvass.

Got Simon from Sunset Campers Vw Camper Hire Cornwall | Skyline Poptops | Sunset Campers Lanivet near Wadebridge in Cornwall to fit it and I must say he did a fantastic job and i'm very picky!

IMG_1102.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1106.JPG

Next job was to install a 6mm ply frame to take the LED light strips before carpeting and side windows going in, covering the screw heads in the pop top framework at the same time:

IMG_1128.JPGIMG_1129.JPGIMG_1131.JPG

This took a long time to scribe accurately into the van profile. I didn't get a pic but I then cut slots for the aluminium channels to sit in once carpeted.

I have kept some templates if anyone needs some.

Thanks to

Deaky

for the inspiration:

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Last edited:
Then onto fitting the side windows and lining:

Covering up the large vents on the D pillar with hardboard and ali tape:

IMG_1135.JPG

Now onto more cutting of holes in my nice van!

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

Father-in-law doing a great job of fettling the cutouts after i used a nibbler

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

Carpet lining before fitting the J-trim

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155 2.JPG

Really happy with the result : )

IMG_1160.JPG

Unfortunately the sliding window is leaking from the end cap on the drainage channel : ( - waiting for a response from camperglass.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

Next job is to fit some roof rails to the pop top:

IMG_1177.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Jim - is this something you've tackled previously?

That trip from St Agnes to Inverness and back must have been an epic journey in itself!

Nice work Jim - is this something you've tackled previously?

That trip from St Agnes to Inverness and back must have been an epic journey in itself!
Cheers bud

yeah bit of a mission but had friends up that way so good excuse to say hi. First 2 sunset shots are from on the Cairngorms on the way home - epic scenery - hopefully going back next year in the finished conversion : )

Only dabbled on a few bits on my old T4 before so learning on the job, always tinkered with VWs since I was a kid mind.

Reactions: Bav
Wish I had the skills to tackle a self-build, but mine is paid for, not built (and, given my DIY skills, thank the lord for that!)

I hate cutting windows in… and my next least favourite job is insulating so you are almost through the worst of it in my book :) downhill all the way now…. nice job and I love the roof!

Have you checked the drainage holes for your window as they can accidentally get blocked up with sealant on a self build leading to weird seepage?

Well after a bit of time out from the T6 ( had to get the old T4 MOT'd and sold) - will miss that bus, 12 years of travels and covered 130k in it, T6 has a lot to live up to!

Anyway back on the T6 project, picked up a Califonia bench / bed and rail system from the Lakes, lovely trip up there, so then had the joys of finding all the correct brackets/bolts
and a few missing bits from VW and then marking it all up and fitting the floor:

Load matt
12mm ply
finished off with Altro.

It was a bit of a mission but happy with the results.
IMG_1197.JPGIMG_1465.JPGIMG_1515.JPG

Next big Job on the list is the Electrics so I have purchased :

Renology Core 100AH
Victron 30A
Victron MPTT

to go with 200W solar for the roof

and a load of wiring, wish me luck!

Well after a bit of time out from the T6 ( had to get the old T4 MOT'd and sold) - will miss that bus, 12 years of travels and covered 130k in it, T6 has a lot to live up to!

Anyway back on the T6 project, picked up a Califonia bench / bed and rail system from the Lakes, lovely trip up there, so then had the joys of finding all the correct brackets/bolts
and a few missing bits from VW and then marking it all up and fitting the floor:

Load matt
12mm ply
finished off with Altro.

It was a bit of a mission but happy with the results.
View attachment 233853View attachment 233854View attachment 233855

Next big Job on the list is the Electrics so I have purchased :

Renology Core 100AH
Victron 30A
Victron MPTT

to go with 200W solar for the roof

and a load of wiring, wish me luck!
Luck!

Seat is now in and LEDs wired up.

Really pleased with the seat/bench - to a bit of faffing to get the ali trims in sitting nice - I think I was too precise with the Altro cutout - not giving enough clearance.

Just need to shave a bit off under the seat to clear the wheel arch properly and that's done :)

IMG_1525.JPG

The alternative to shaving the seat is to adjust the wheelarch. I used a block of wood and a hammer to press a channel onto the top of the wheelarch.

The alternative to shaving the seat is to adjust the wheelarch. I used a block of wood and a hammer to press a channel onto the top of the wheelarch.
ah interesting - i'll have a look and see if I can do this as it only needs about 5mm, but I have 10mm sound deadening all over it so may not work

Back