Conversion 'order' of things

MrG

VCDS User
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

So things escalated quickly for me and i now have a wonderful panel van that is going to be my daily drive and i will be turning it into a camper for: just going away, and also going away with one or more of the varios hobbies (mountian bike / or motorbike, possibly with a trailer attached). most likely wont look to put a motorbike in the back but almost certainly will the mountan bike, so in the interest of keeping space in the back i want to put a kitchen in and a pop top to sleep in (a low profile pop top so i can still use car parks).

Most of the work i will be doing myself (windows, insulation, carpeting, heater, electrics, shower etc) but am looking for some advice on the order of things.

Should i get the pop top done first, then do the carpeting / windows or visa versa?

Any thoughts, suggestions / guidance most welcomed.

I have also have been reading up in the forums on the 'Horizon Sport' (new and improved HiLo) or the 'LowLife Stealth' poptops as options, are there any other options out there to consider / research?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Its recommended to do Pop top before carpeting. I've done sound proof/insulation, windows and now im booked in for Pop Top next week.

After pop top, comes carpet lining for me.......

Also consider electrics before carpet lining, route what cables you need to

Hi, I always recommend poptop first. Any cutting is best done before carpet lining gets near the van.
I would ..
Pop top,
Cut windows ( not fit )
Carpet line
Then fit windows.
You can wrap carpet over cut edge, and cut 5mm external. Then fit the glass. Much better finish than knock on trims etc and much easier while glass is out.
Do all ply panels separately on headless clips. This gives easy removal at later date for cables etc.

But when having roof fitted, think of any lights required in fitting frame. These should be drilled out before fitting as vw loom is behind.
Hope that gives you a good idea of how we would do it. Obviously priming all cut edges etc etc it was just a quick guide

Screenshot_20230919_151203_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230919_151356_Facebook.jpg

Thanks for the feedback all!

Looks like its the poptop/insulation first then! - any recommendations of a low profile top?

@AJCConversions with the carpets round the windows, thats the route i want to take, it looks soooo much neater! Although I did read (or saw a video) somewhere that said you end up with 2 panel skins when cutting some of the windows and its easier to fit the larger rubber trim over both skins? Surely you dont just carpet over the gap of the panels or am i over thinking it?
Looks like that pic was just before offering the windows up?

Thanks again,
MrG

But when having roof fitted, think of any lights required in fitting frame. These should be drilled out before fitting as vw loom is behind.

Completely forgot to ask, is this best to do at the time of fitting the poptop because the loom is pulled out of the way to fit the frame in the roof?

Thinking pretty simple but with a great visual effect. Downlights and/or a halo effect with some addressable LED tape?

Sorry I forgot say leave insulation out too. Leave anything that out that swarf can stick to.
Even cutting a window, there are gaps between the adhesive of the 2 skins which swarf could drop down into the insulation. Much easier to clean out when vans empty.

Sorry I don't do the roofs you mentioned. We have been fitting reimo for over 10 years now. Even with these, a 40mm drop still normally puts the van under 2m.

Yes any holes for lights should be done with fitting frame off the van.

The carpet will go over the gap of the two skins and no problem. Don't over think it lol

Reactions: MrG
Back