[Oz] Achtung conversion with Pop Top

ScottFreedom

Greetings campervaners. My first post. New to campervaning arena. Had 2 caravans in the past and just recently travelled around Australia in my Navara with a rooftop tent. Was fun. Now looking to move on to a campervan, as a mostly solo traveller, for my retirement years, long may they last

Just put a deposit down for a new VW transporter t6.1 LWB 450 4Motion and conversion through Achtung campers in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. They look a quality outfit. My van is due to be completed during 2024. I am not sure whether to install the pop top they use. I cannot get any details of there pop top. That worries me.

If there are any Achtung customers who've had there poptops for several years, can you please provide some feedback on there quality and any issues that you have experienced along the way?

After reading several concerning posts regarding faulty pop tops, I am very reluctant to cut most of a beautiful new roof out of this new VW. I understand there are 1000's of these vans with poptops and they are almost a must have for resale, but the thought of what can go wrong scares the beegeebies out of me to be honest. There's no going back. I was hoping to keep this van until I depart this earthly existence, so resale may not be an issue for me.

I spend my day time mostly outdoors, especially for cooking and general relaxing. The van will be mostly for some meal prep, reading, tv, sleeping and keeping out of bad weather, so a pop top roof is not really essential for my needs and they are expensive.
Happy and safe travels. Thanks Scott

Greetings campervaners. My first post. New to campervaning arena. Had 2 caravans in the past and just recently travelled around Australia in my Navara with a rooftop tent. Was fun. Now looking to move on to a campervan, as a mostly solo traveller, for my retirement years, long may they last

Just put a deposit down for a new VW transporter t6.1 LWB 450 4Motion and conversion through Achtung campers in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. They look a quality outfit. My van is due to be completed during 2024. I am not sure whether to install the pop top they use. I cannot get any details of there pop top. That worries me.

If there are any Achtung customers who've had there poptops for several years, can you please provide some feedback on there quality and any issues that you have experienced along the way?

After reading several concerning posts regarding faulty pop tops, I am very reluctant to cut most of a beautiful new roof out of this new VW. I understand there are 1000's of these vans with poptops and they are almost a must have for resale, but the thought of what can go wrong scares the beegeebies out of me to be honest. There's no going back. I was hoping to keep this van until I depart this earthly existence, so resale may not be an issue for me.

I spend my day time mostly outdoors, especially for cooking and general relaxing. The van will be mostly for some meal prep, reading, tv, sleeping and keeping out of bad weather, so a pop top roof is not really essential for my needs and they are expensive.
Happy and safe travels. Thanks Scott
Scott - I am on my second pop top - a new Trakka version in the same model T6.1 you are waiting on - after thirty years with a T3 pop top. I have also owned a number of hardtops Kombis (all split windows) - and would never go back. The air movement, light and space just change the whole experince of the van. We will regularly pop ours up for a quick coffee stop as the car is so much more pleasant to be in when open. I have spoken to a quite a few Achtung owenrs - and nearly bought one myself - their roof is good quality and will cause you no issues. I'd strongly recommend fitting the roof.

Scott - I am on my second pop top - a new Trakka version in the same model T6.1 you are waiting on - after thirty years with a T3 pop top. I have also owned a number of hardtops Kombis (all split windows) - and would never go back. The air movement, light and space just change the whole experince of the van. We will regularly pop ours up for a quick coffee stop as the car is so much more pleasant to be in when open. I have spoken to a quite a few Achtung owenrs - and nearly bought one myself - their roof is good quality and will cause you no issues. I'd strongly recommend fitting the roof.
Thanks Quirky. That's terrific you've had a T3 for 30 years. Would be hard to say goodbye to the lady. I hope my T6.1 lasts that long, as I'm planning/hoping for it to be my last vehicle.

Good to read a few Achtung owners are happy with these. I just find it hard to get my head around cutting a woping hole in one of these and to expect similar structural integrity. I asked Achtung if their poptops are TÜV approved, though no answer as yet.

I've watched various YouTube videos on the topic to way up the pros and cons. The advantages I can truly understand. Not sure about canvas life and ease of replacement when the time comes, as well as noise while travelling and water ingress. I would like to inspect one of these that's over 5 years old.

I visit Acthung next month and will go over it all and finalise my conversion options. They have been excellent to deal with so far and have a 5 year warranty except for the poptop canvas.

The vehicle delivery from Germany is looking like the second half of 2024, which is fine by me.

I am considering underbody rust treatment and body treatment from EndRust after the conversion is completed. However I read that the bodies of these Transporters are galvanised and VW offer a 12 year warranty against rust through paint, however I'm not sure about the chasis. I will try to find out more from a dealer.

Current vehicle options I've included are; Appearance package, LED light upgrade, VW suspension upgrade, Comfort package, 4motion with diff lock and Hill descent. Will review these options during the Sept visit. Looking forward to my first Transporter.

Good luck with your new T6.1 and may she provide you with many happy travelling years.

I have a T6 that I had Achtung convert to a full campervan in 2018. We have travelled 100000km and nothing has gone wrong, the pop top is a quality fitment by the guys at Achtung.
Everything from the cupboards, bed , fridge, pop top is well finished and professionally done.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
I know it sounds like an advert but I hope it puts your mind at rest.
Get them to show you a finished van and inspect it yourself.

I have a T6 that I had Achtung convert to a full campervan in 2018. We have travelled 100000km and nothing has gone wrong, the pop top is a quality fitment by the guys at Achtung.
Everything from the cupboards, bed , fridge, pop top is well finished and professionally done.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
I know it sounds like an advert but I hope it puts your mind at rest.
Get them to show you a finished van and inspect it yourself.
Thanks for your response and feedback AussieMick. It gives me confidence in their work. I will go over the conversion mid Sept. I understand I have several months to finalise the conversion details.

Do you treat the poptop canvas material or have you had to replace or reseal the canvas? I understand the canvas must be kept dry especially during storage.

The Darche rooftop tent on my Navara was replaced last year after 2 years of extended use travelling around Aus. This was due to water leakage while travelling south down the WA coast. Fortunately it was replaced under warranty.

I'm currently awaiting an update on the vehicle build schedule via VW, though it's looking like mid 2024 at the earliest. So my priority at the moment is finalising the Transporter options spec. This forum has been terrific. Thanks

Just picked up a second hand 2019 T6 with the Achtung fit out. Done a few modifications already such as a draw slide under the back.
First time owning a poptop and do find it noisy and not a snug down fit. Surprised it doesn't have any sort of wind deflector that other brand pop top conversions have.
Overall though pretty happy

Are you folding the pop top canvas out of the way of the roof. It should pull down all the way to fit flush with the roof and that should stop wind noise.
My Achtung roof has a small rubber strip spoiler to stop frontal wind noise.
Are you sure it hasn't fallen off or been removed by previous owner.

Back