ISS and Space-related discussion

Just for future reference:

You can add names to the missions to Mars.

Sign up with NASA and add your kids or your name to the list and it gets etched on to a plaque that is attached to the probe/rover. Both my kids names are on Perseverance. They get a ticket/boarding pass that you can print out too. The kids think it's cool (and I do too).

Here's the link.to sign up for the next one although I'm not sure when it will be..

Just for future reference:

You can add names to the missions to Mars.

Sign up with NASA and add your kids or your name to the list and it gets etched on to a plaque that is attached to the probe/rover. Both my kids names are on Perseverance. They get a ticket/boarding pass that you can print out too. The kids think it's cool (and I do too).

Here's the link.to sign up for the next one although I'm not sure when it will be..

Nice one! Thank you

Has anyone found a NASA video feed more suited to grown-ups? Fed up of the dumb hype presented by the NASA kindergarten ;)

NASA are going to play the actual video of the Perseverance Rover landing at 7pm tonight on youtube.

I watched this presentation last night, about the Apollo 11 Guidance Computer. Its long but fascinating, and clears up a few misunderstandings such as that Armstrong 'saved the lander by taking manual control at the last minute'. Of interest to nerds like me, it shows the "verb/noun" interface ("read xxx", "load yyy", "show zzz etc") and the fact that it was integer-only 15-bit maths (ie no floating point maths) so it had half the precision of PA Tiny Basic. With only 2k of memory, each program was loaded when required, these programs were named "P" and 2-digit number, eg P63 was the Braking Phase, P64 was the Approach Phase. With no programs running, the empty parse loop was program zero zero - P00 - and was known as 'Poo' :D:D:D

1969-tech at its best, well worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starlink Satellites will pass over the UK from the west from around 18:30 this evening for 40 minutes.
@Loz , do you have a tracker link please?

I don’t know how bright this pass will be, but they will all be going in the same direction.

Starlink Satellites will pass over the UK from the west, around 18:50 this evening for around 50 mins.

Hope it’s clear, and not foggy like last night.

Last edited:
Haha :) i seen 20+ going over, and it’s not that clear here, I’m spotting them more to the East.

Last edited:
Back