Internal or External Front Screen Cover - Insulated Or Not

Pals of mine went with internal on their van. They find they (a) get condensation and (b) have to clean the sucker marks off every morning. In our innocence, we just opted for what the converters suggested (Exploria) and they provided what I now recognise as one of the "Silver Screens" external covers. Reflecting on it, and with the benefit of hindsight and experience in the 4 years we've had the van, I think it's fine. Yes, it's a little bulky, but it lives neatly behind the driver's seat, and yes, it's bit of a faff when it's wet / covered in snow, but realistically it's just one more thing to dry. We roll it so the "wet side" is inside the rolled up screen, if that makes any sense. In its waterproof bag, there's no noticeable leakage in the van, and of course it's only wet on the surface anyway.

All this said, I noticed a nice Teahupoo conversion on a CL near Glenelg a few weeks ago, and their external screen matched the poptop canvas, which looked rather smart. However, it didn't appear to be especially thick, so I've no idea whether it provided any worthwhile insulation or not. I think the color co-ordination may have even extended to their roll-out awning too.

Reactions: CAB
Hi - Sorry, only just seen your post. Minster don't automatically include magnets or ties, but if you ring them and explain what you want (you could say it's what I and my son both have), we have always found them very amenable.

Looking to buy thermal screen covers for our T6.1. I like the price of the Minster ones and they are getting good comments on this forum but I haven’t seen anyone specifically referring to fitting them on a 6.1 and they are sold to fit T6. I read somewhere on here that there is a difference in wing mirror placement between the T6 and the 6.1 so the windscreen covers shouldn’t be the same. Has anyone with a T6.1 got experience of using the Minster thermal screen covers and can give an opinion on the fit? Thanks.

I would call Minster and discuss it with them. If they haven't made screens yet specifically for a T6.1, then I would arrange to call at their works, and they would make you a bespoke set, while you wait.
Personally, I would also choose the magnets and tapes to tie round the mirrors, as I like 'belt and braces'!

Looking to buy thermal screen covers for our T6.1. I like the price of the Minster ones and they are getting good comments on this forum but I haven’t seen anyone specifically referring to fitting them on a 6.1 and they are sold to fit T6. I read somewhere on here that there is a difference in wing mirror placement between the T6 and the 6.1 so the windscreen covers shouldn’t be the same. Has anyone with a T6.1 got experience of using the Minster thermal screen covers and can give an opinion on the fit? Thanks.
I’ve got a a Polar screen cover made by Minster and fits my 6.1 perfectly.

Bought it off a member on here who’d had it for a T6 and rang Minster first to check it would fit, and they confirmed it would. No issues with its fit at all.

Due to the way it’s made, its got velcro all the way along the A pillar seam on both side, as this where you can fold the windscreen section down or up for light during the day if you want. This means you have some additional adjustment if you want it.

Would def recommend the product. Easy to use, dries quickly when wet, and does exactly what it needs to.

I’ve got Rainbow screens front and rear and find them ace. Not tried Minster but no hesitation in recommending the Rainbow screens product, next purchase will be a wrap around for the pop top.

15362923-D095-4CA5-9F04-1679A711BD83.png

Thanks for your reply, I've ordered a screen with Rainbow, with the view to adding one to the pop top later. I read good reviews on both Rainbow and Minster screens...

I’ve got Rainbow screens front and rear and find them ace. Not tried Minster but no hesitation in recommending the Rainbow screens product, next purchase will be a wrap around for the pop top.

View attachment 148656
Another vote for Rainbow. Trying to work out what the boat is - thinking Merlin Rocket??

View attachment 148656
Hi there, random question, do
You have wind deflectors on your driver and passenger window?

Or if not do you think the rainbow screens cover would still fit with them “?

Thanks

Hi there, random question, do
You have wind deflectors on your driver and passenger window?

Or if not do you think the rainbow screens cover would still fit with them “?

Thanks
I’ve got Heko deflectors on both and confirm Rainbow screens fit no problem.

Just wanted to give a thumbs up for Polar screens. Van arrived earlier than we expected, so getting stuff sorted with for weekends away this summer has been a bit of a rush. Rainbow screens couldn’t help for a number of weeks, but Minster products were super helpful and got us some front and read screens ready for the Jubilee weekend in only a couple of days. The weather was pretty wet and the screens performed really really well. Even putting them on after the van had condensates up, it soon disappeared once the screens were in place. I’d also read some posts on here about external screens taking on a lot of water in heavy rain, these obviously got wet but are definitely waterproof and dried really quick. Very happy with them.

Hoping for some help re screen covers. I've tried 2 now: a cheaper uninsulated one (we only camp in the van in summer generally) which didn't fit our cali beach and after asking the manufacturer they said it wouldn't fit a t6 with a pop top.

And today I've tried to fit the olpro insulated one, but it just won't fit. It pulls up at the mirrors as if the cutout is in the wrong place and I can only get the front to velcro onto the sides by the very edges - wouldn't fancy it in any wind!

Could it be:
a: My van is a bit fat. (It does have wind deflectors but they are pretty low profile VW in channel ones).
b: I'm a bit of a eejit and am not fitting it right.
c: They're all like this and I should just accept it and move on!
d: I need to be less tight and buy a Minster or Rainbow one - I might be able to justify this if they actually fit properly.

I notice a lot are generic for t5 and t6 - could that be the issue? What dimensional differences are there?

Hoping for some help re screen covers. I've tried 2 now: a cheaper uninsulated one (we only camp in the van in summer generally) which didn't fit our cali beach and after asking the manufacturer they said it wouldn't fit a t6 with a pop top.

And today I've tried to fit the olpro insulated one, but it just won't fit. It pulls up at the mirrors as if the cutout is in the wrong place and I can only get the front to velcro onto the sides by the very edges - wouldn't fancy it in any wind!

Could it be:
a: My van is a bit fat. (It does have wind deflectors but they are pretty low profile VW in channel ones).
b: I'm a bit of a eejit and am not fitting it right.
c: They're all like this and I should just accept it and move on!
d: I need to be less tight and buy a Minster or Rainbow one - I might be able to justify this if they actually fit properly.

I notice a lot are generic for t5 and t6 - could that be the issue? What dimensional differences are there?
T5 screen covers will not fit a T6 properly. The mirrors are different. A lot of lazy manufacturers have not updated their covers.

Back