Regulating van temperature- windows?

Davefaeporty

Hi, I have a grey T6 with 2 rear side windows and a tailgate window, all retrofitted by someone else previously and dark ish tinted. As soon as the sun is out it gets absolutely roasting inside the van. I have done a decent job of insulating the van walls, cavities etc, and believe most of the heat radiation is coming from the rear windows. They are extremely hot to touch compared with the clear front ones. I’ve tried sticking thermal covers on the inside but these had little effect. What are other folks solutions for this? Does anyone have experience of different tints or films on the windows to help regulate the temperature?

Cheers!

In exhibition spaces and historic buildings, we use a solar film that appears as a partial mirror on the side that faces out and darkens (actually called neutral density) from the inside. It’s used to control solar gain through clear glass, it takes a few steps of direct sunlight out, and filters UV and IR. It’s a pain to fit even to a square window but I’ve seen people who do this day-in-day-out do it very quickly and neatly. It comes in different grades of light rejection.

Not sure about its application in an automotive context and on an already-tinted window. Someone else might know.

Do you have any heater elements on the window that might make film application difficult?

Back