Internal or External Front Screen Cover - Insulated Or Not

Thinking about screens, does the colour matter? ie. a silver screen in theory should keep the van cooler in hot days and warmer in the night than a black screen. Think it makes much difference. Think I would prefer a black screen as more stealth but a silver if it is better heat wise.
Just about to order and can't quite settle on black or silver. We are generally fair weather campers but haven't experienced a hot camp in a van yet. Silver could be a godsend, but black might be good for cooler mornings. Presumably the colour doesn't make much difference when it's dark :cool:

Just about to order and can't quite settle on black or silver. We are generally fair weather campers but haven't experienced a hot camp in a van yet. Silver could be a godsend, but black might be good for cooler mornings. Presumably the colour doesn't make much difference when it's dark :cool:
In the end I got a one that’s black on the outside and silver on the inside. Happy with it like that.

In the end I got a one that’s black on the outside and silver on the inside. Happy with it like that.
Went for a silver Minster one, can't think of when black would be best and silver will probably go with the white top half of our van best

Went for a silver Minster one, can't think of when black would be best and silver will probably go with the white top half of our van best
I went black because it’s more stealth for wild camping. The one I got you can fold the top half of the screen down letting light in the van and then the rest of the cover is the silver.

I went black because it’s more stealth for wild camping. The one I got you can fold the top half of the screen down letting light in the van and then the rest of the cover is the silver.
Similar fold down with privacy blind behind, or remove whole windscreen whilst maintaining privacy, but externally silver all round. Will share my experience, as you'd expect :)

Similar fold down with privacy blind behind, or remove whole windscreen whilst maintaining privacy, but externally silver all round. Will share my experience, as you'd expect :)
Mine is from them as well.

Hi All

I’m looking for some info on internal v external front cab thermal screen covers on the T6

I bought a good quality set of internal cover for the cab of our camper. They are Reims and cost around £80. I used them onceand the were fine keeping the light out etc. It was cold and I still got some condensation but probably not as much as I would have got without them

I didn’t realise at the time that you could also buy external screen covers.

What’s the plus and minus with each.

I now have the internal ones but kind of think I would have been better with the external ones.

Opinions would be great

Internal for me.
If it’s pissing down when you pack away, the external one will be soaking.

I have both, internal for “wild camping” in case of the need for a quick getaway, and external for site camping.

I can confirm that Polar Technologies blinds are seriously good on customer service - needed a blind in a hurry (because I have the organisational skills of a particularly forgetful goldfish), and rang Caroline yesterday morning. She made one to order yesterday afternoon and we received it this afternoon.
Went for black on the outside, and it fits very nicely. Excellent light exclusion, but obviously we don’t know how well it keeps the heat in/out yet.

I have used both - The internal one was a massive faff to put and caused major condensation build up on the windscreen which I removed with a Karcher window vacuum before driving (even more faff). If you wanted a quick get away, then good luck as you can't see anything!

I've recently purchased a screen cover from Fuel Lagoon (£35) and used it twice so far, it goes on and off easily, gives total blackout and no condensation! It comes in a waterproof bag which it folds nicely into and sits inside the door card out of the way, so no issues for me if its wet. Only thing its missing is some magnet strips to hold it flush to the doors, for the price I'd recommend it.

Polar here and it's dead easy to put on and off with a good quality bag. Folds up under one half of double bench storage. No internal effects like condensation
PXL_20210529_072524256~2.jpg

Decisions decisions...

Planning on purchasing some internal "silver screen" thermal blinds to stop the van becoming an oven in beach car parks etc.

Got my internal thermal blinds supplier down to a shortlist of 3, but have not managed to see any in the wild or at a show. As a result it is a tad difficult to make my final decision.

Need to decide which supplier to go with.

Any input much appreciated.

External Polar Screens from Minster in Sheffield - with magnets to hold side screens tight to the doors, and fabric ties for the door handles.​
I have decided to go for the minster T6 black polar external blinds. I could do with some help with the following questions
  • Do they come with the ties and magnets built in (see Brom) post above? Or have these been added afterwards.
  • Should I go for the long or short one? - I presume the short one will allow wipers to go on top in extreme weather? (is this necessary?) - I also presume the long one will not allow the wipers on top. N.B the van will be used in heavy snow conditions.

Back