SWB internal bike rack solution

@Barnstormer , well they look great! Perfect really. I may need to see if I can get someone to make me some. Under seat canvas bags are a great idea too!! I'm looking for soft storage for underneath my triple bench as well as under the 2seater in the mid row.

I'm working on something similar myself - A bike storage pull out presentation drawer!Photos to appear soon!

Do you have any mounts that take a 15mm Maxle? if so where u get em from?

I'm working on something similar myself - A bike storage pull out presentation drawer!Photos to appear soon!

Do you have any mounts that take a 15mm Maxle? if so where u get em from?

Once again Tredz seem to do something useful (for flat surface mounting):-

Buy Delta Bike Hitch Thru Axle at Tredz Bikes. £18.99 with free UK delivery

And these would sort out wheels on fork mounts

Buy Minoura Thru Axle Adapters at Tredz Bikes.

Both available in 15 & 20mm diameters. Remember to wait for the £5 discount code pop up before you order!

If you want an adaptor for an occasional thru axle fit (I have one for my mate's fancy bike) then one of these fits a conventional fork clamp:-

Yakima 15mm thru axel fork adapter no. 8002099.

I'm sure cheaper baling twine alternatives are available for plywood enthusiasts.

Just received one of the Thule bag things from Tredz, They are just the job for the van, thanks for posting the details, I might order the bigger one too.

Gave my Saris Traps internal rack an outing down to BikeParkWales today.

Picked the rail out of a Halfords clearance bin a few months back, then bought the Saris fork mounts. We had the through axle adaptors from the old roof racks. My sons bike has a boost front fork, so I need to find a wider version of the adaptor.

I'm going to look to see if the D Ring is tall enough, that if I machine a slot in the rail, I could just use an R Clip to secure the rail and make it a bit more QR.

As my restrictions on space are now unrestricted (to an extent) I think I'm going need to buy some Thule bags to organise my kit a little better!!

IMG_0065.JPG

Gave my Saris Traps internal rack an outing down to BikeParkWales today.

Picked the rail out of a Halfords clearance bin a few months back, then bought the Saris fork mounts. We had the through axle adaptors from the old roof racks. My sons bike has a boost front fork, so I need to find a wider version of the adaptor.

I'm going to look to see if the D Ring is tall enough, that if I machine a slot in the rail, I could just use an R Clip to secure the rail and make it a bit more QR.

As my restrictions on space are now unrestricted (to an extent) I think I'm going need to buy some Thule bags to organise my kit a little better!!

View attachment 5036
That's pretty neat, using those fork mount brackets. They would be fine even mounted to a piece of wood and then anchored with the rear lashing eyes. I'm thinking you could use some longer pieces of wood at right angles to stagger the bikes so the bars don't clash and therefore get them closer together

Not got my Kombi yet but I plan to use it mostly with the second row removed.
I bike about 3-4 times a week so a solution that is supper quick and easy is my target.
I will try to make one of these babies.

View media item 685
This will mean no need to remove the front wheels and I assume enough room for 3 bike.
As I have ordered 3 seats up front all should be swell.

Full instructions can be found here Make your own Bike Rack
I have quite a wait for the van so won't be trying it soon but will post pictures etc when I do.

Not got my Kombi yet but I plan to use it mostly with the second row removed.
I bike about 3-4 times a week so a solution that is supper quick and easy is my target.
I will try to make one of these babies.

View media item 685
This will mean no need to remove the front wheels and I assume enough room for 3 bike.
As I have ordered 3 seats up front all should be swell.

Full instructions can be found here Make your own Bike Rack
I have quite a wait for the van so won't be trying it soon but will post pictures etc when I do.
I don't know if its too late for you to change but if you go for the 2+1 rear seat you can leave the single seat in and still have room for three bikes with both wheels on, plus a passenger in the single seat

Thanks @Captain Mainwaring, Yep ordered the 2+1, so together with the 3 seats in the front I have a lot of flexibility.
Have to say hadn't thought of leaving the single rear in.

Yep, tidy. Does it lift out easily?

I have a friend building similar for his Mercedes sprinter to sit underneath a permanent bed, he found fitting pairs of bikes top to tail on a drawer allowed tighter nesting as no handlebar clash. Dropper posts on his bikes reduce vertical height to minimum.

Where did you get your draw runners? I managed to buy a pair of 90 cm extension for just over £20 in Hong Kong for a demountable canteen unit I have planned.

£20? Please - I feel sick! Got them from Ironmongerydirect at around £45 a pair. I have placed the fork mounts like you said, top to tail to avoid bar clash, only got two bikes so not enough to test. A perfect excuse to buy another two!

If I go camping without the bikes, I simply put the top piece on and boom - Theres the bed (photo attached). Everything at the same height.

It pulls in and out like a perfect fit. it's all bolted together and pretty heavy - but with bikes and camping kit it needs to be decent ply I reckon. As soon as the lightweight melamine crap gets chipped thats it. And we aren't neat tidy Airy Fairy campers. We bike, hike, and camp wild! If it was a precious Oak faced MDF kitchen and leather convertible seat/bed combo (which, don't get me wrong, look the biz) it would get trashed, and i'd be an anal badger about it!

IMG_0454.JPG

@ehuplad I recognise the "plumber's" rack as you published the details before. It has turned out very well so can I be cheeky and ask what was the all-up cost of your rack please? Have you fastened it down to the floor and do you plan on securing the rear wheels for travel? A great, neat rack - a job very well done :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:. Makes a nice stand at a camp site too.

Back