Interior light wiring route

drooke

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've installed some LED courtesy lights in the rear of my campervan conversion and need to find the nearest courtesy circuit to tap into. Original rear lights removed as part of conversion, not sure what they did with the wiring.

The new lights are fitted into the nearside rear quarter hardboard panel. Is the side step wiring the best option to tap into?

They are only inches away from each other but I can't see a neat way to route from the side step without going back to the B pillar, up, along the roof line and back down again - I had a go with my cable routing rods but couldn't seem to route this way easily. Ideas welcome!

Thanks

I've installed some LED courtesy lights in the rear of my campervan conversion and need to find the nearest courtesy circuit to tap into. Original rear lights removed as part of conversion, not sure what they did with the wiring.

The new lights are fitted into the nearside rear quarter hardboard panel. Is the side step wiring the best option to tap into?

They are only inches away from each other but I can't see a neat way to route from the side step without going back to the B pillar, up, along the roof line and back down again - I had a go with my cable routing rods but couldn't seem to route this way easily. Ideas welcome!

Thanks
When my roof was done, the centre courtesy light switch was wrapped up on the loom and left redundant. Yours could be, too.
You’ll find it roughly above the sliding door area - that’ll mean you can run the cable down the c-pillar / d-pillar in to your new LEDs.

I found a fairly easy way to route the cable.

Rear quarter up through to the C pillar, then at the bottom of the C pillar I have a panel clipped in behind the carpet lining which I popped out and cut a small hole in the carpet lining at floor level. Cable then routed under floor to under the side step and the courtesy light there. Note that mine is a LWB and so that panel might not be there in SWB vans.

Next up, find an ambient light circuit and make these lights switch between courtesy and ambient :)

@Ads_Essex Cheers, the ceiling rear light loom will be there somewhere, could be in the B pillar, still hard to route to that C pillar though I think. Thankfully I found a fairly painless option.

I had a poptop fitted by a company and they covered up all lighting wires.
Is it possible to put new wires in from the switch in the photo. The guy said I could get to the light wires by drilling into the aluminium cover that goes down each side but I’ve carpeted the lot. Would the carpet ruin around a circular cut? He said I should drill toward the bottom edge. He didn't even ask me.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2DC5C5EC-83F0-4B3B-B5DA-7229BD68D932.jpeg

I had a poptop fitted by a company and they covered up all lighting wires.
Is it possible to put new wires in from the switch in the photo. The guy said I could get to the light wires by drilling into the aluminium cover that goes down each side but I’ve carpeted the lot. Would the carpet ruin around a circular cut? He said I should drill toward the bottom edge. He didn't even ask me.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 151463
If it’s lights you want, I wouldn’t tap in to the ambient lighting from that occupancy switch, but rather chase out the interior lighting loom.
You’ll likely have it laying redundant in the ceiling void above the nearside slider between the b & c-pillar as per post #2

My van has had a camper conversion but the rear interior lights do not come on when the side door opens. Can anyone tell me where the original wiring runs for the side door interior light so i can try and trace it to add another light
Thanks in advance
Paul

Last edited:
Are you fixing the light to come on when the door opens, or adding another light?

My van has a pop top roof with led lights but all have to be turned on individually. I was hoping to be able to find the supply from the original interior light so that I can add another separate light that will come on when the door is opened as it did originally
Just wondered where the wiring ran for the original light (i.e through roof, up pillar etc.) so I can try and find it. Looking at your picture it seems as though it runs through the roof somewhere?
Thanks

I have the same issue. Could you please could you confirm what is shown here? Also is this RHD with sliding door on the left?
Many thanks
The picture shows the route that the wiring harnesses follow around the van.

I’ve found to lights in tailgate useful also … I have flexi reading lights in rear pillars from the original rear light

Back