Insurance Companies

Insurance is such a faff!

Currently with LV for the camper and car. Got a renewal today and despite no claims (well over the 9 year NCD too) in the last year and no doubt a depreciation in value the premium went up by around £140 per vehicle.

Does seem they will renew the camper though so that’s something I guess.

Of course I came straight here to see who others recommend. I tried Comfort using their online quote tool and was told they can’t give a price online.

I refuse to try JK as they pestered me no end when I got a quote last time and I feel they passed my details on. They weren’t cheap either.

Brent are we’re expensive last time I looked but I could try just in case they’ve changed.

Tempted to try and get an agreed value policy this time as I always worry if the worst happens the insurance won’t value the camper properly- any pointers on who is good for agreed value policies?
It could be worth giving Comfort a call. I found them easy to deal with - knowledgeable and helpful.

Not sure if Comfort offer an AV policy (my van's brand new and I was happy with their new-for-old terms for the first 3 years/15k miles), but if your van is worth significantly more than book price I would 100% recommend going down that route.

Just went through the faff with my car. Insurance company renewal had gone up by a similar amount to yours.
Went straight onto ”compare” and literally halved my premium.
Straight to my previous house insurance company who I had left because they had hiked their renewal.
Its just a merry go round.
Was on auto renewal with the car so had to call the present insurer to say I wouldn’t be taking their policy out, so needed to cancel the auto renewal. They immediately reduced my premium offer to that which I had paid the year before.
Worth getting alternative quotes and then take those values back to your existing insurer, to see if they will better their premium, if you wanted to stay put. Otherwise there are savings to be had in moving around.
From the wildly different quotes I’ve had for the car, van and house, I reckon some just try it on to see how much they might be able to bleed from you.
I find it a bizarre business model - try and shaft loyal customers whose risk you know, generally making them leave, only to offer huge discounts to unknown new customers.

Reactions: EAN
It could be worth giving Comfort a call. I found them easy to deal with - knowledgeable and helpful.

Not sure if Comfort offer an AV policy (my van's brand new and I was happy with their new-for-old terms for the first 3 years/15k miles), but if your van is worth significantly more than book price I would 100% recommend going down that route.
It's also my time to renew and having found Adrian Flux awful to deal with these days, I'm looking to switch. I just tried Comfort but they want the vehicle registered as a Motor caravan on the v5c. That's impossible from what I read recently...?

• Wow
Reactions: Bav
It's also my time to renew and having found Adrian Flux awful to deal with these days, I'm looking to switch. I just tried Comfort but they want the vehicle registered as a Motor caravan on the v5c. That's impossible from what I read recently...?
That's odd - no such requirement when I took my policy out with them less than 3 weeks ago.

Is your camper a self-build or was it converted by a company that Comfort weren't familiar with? I only ask because they were definitely familiar with my convertor - they reeled-off the list of conversion designs my convertor offered and wanted to know which one I had chosen.

That's odd - no such requirement when I took my policy out with them less than 3 weeks ago.

Is your camper a self-build or was it converted by a company that Comfort weren't familiar with? I only ask because they were definitely familiar with my convertor - they reeled-off the list of conversion designs my convertor offered and wanted to know which one I had chosen.
I didn't get that far. When I selected a 'campervan conversion' from the drop-down box, a screen flashed up with requirements that you have to agree to. One is that he vehicle is registered as a motorcaravan with v5c amended to prove it.

I didn't get that far. When I selected a 'campervan conversion' from the drop-down box, a screen flashed up with requirements that you have to agree to. One is that he vehicle is registered as a motorcaravan with v5c amended to prove it.
I'd give them a call and speak to a person (or an AI chatbot ;)). Doing on-line quotes for campervans is nigh-on hopeless and I suspect that the V5C requirement that flashed-up on screen hasn't been updated since the DVLA changed their policy on re-classifying vans.

EDIT: I found Comfort were really easy to deal with over the phone and they knew their stuff.

Last edited:
It sure is. I have spent too long doing that. But also too long in phone queues.
I just sucked up the renewal price feeling life’s too short!
I know what you mean; finding the right cover for the best price is akin to having a full time job... except you end up paying out rather than getting paid. :eek:

I know what you mean; finding the right cover for the best price is akin to having a full time job... except you end up paying out rather than getting paid. :eek:
I spoke to Comfort and they told me they don't need a v5c with motor caravan specified but they do need a gas-safe certificate or a habitation check certificate. Got my habitation check booked for next week.

I spoke to Comfort and they told me they don't need a v5c with motor caravan specified but they do need a gas-safe certificate or a habitation check certificate. Got my habitation check booked for next week.
I got my habitation check and certificate the other week but there is a few rectifications needed. Most are simple like I forgot to have the fire extinguisher ready etc. However, there are two which I need to do something about which I wonder how others have done it?

1 - Earth bonding to gas piping missing - Fair enough, I can easily attach this but where do you put it? I am guessing you attach the earth to the gas pipe going into the hob and then down to the chassis?

2 - Leisure battery needs relocating as laid on side & wiring insufficient - I discussed this with the guy who did the inspection and he told me that the battery on it's side would not have full capacity as the electrolyte level would not be reaching the top of the plates. I informed him it's and AGM battery and that they can be laid on the side. I even said that the manufacturer Leoch advertises it as an AGM battery that can be laid in any orientation other than upside down. He then said that the NCC and AWS does not allow it and that I had to move it. I disagree and I am trying to get hold of the NCC to explain. Anyone else had this?

Photo of my battery set-up. Not the best but it's better than some of the professional builders are doing.

20230419_171325.jpg

• Sad
The NCC can't possibly keep abreast of battery development across the industry, so they have no justification for contradicting the battery manufacturer's recommendations. IMO, it's definitely worth challenging them on this, though it would be better to do so armed with a written response from Leoch to the specific question "Can this battery be safely installed on its side?".

I was already insured with APlan for a car I had just sold. Rather than go elsewhere I asked them to transfer the insurance to the T6. Never had to make a claim, fortunately, but the service is very good.

I got my habitation check and certificate the other week but there is a few rectifications needed. Most are simple like I forgot to have the fire extinguisher ready etc. However, there are two which I need to do something about which I wonder how others have done it?

1 - Earth bonding to gas piping missing - Fair enough, I can easily attach this but where do you put it? I am guessing you attach the earth to the gas pipe going into the hob and then down to the chassis?

2 - Leisure battery needs relocating as laid on side & wiring insufficient - I discussed this with the guy who did the inspection and he told me that the battery on it's side would not have full capacity as the electrolyte level would not be reaching the top of the plates. I informed him it's and AGM battery and that they can be laid on the side. I even said that the manufacturer Leoch advertises it as an AGM battery that can be laid in any orientation other than upside down. He then said that the NCC and AWS does not allow it and that I had to move it. I disagree and I am trying to get hold of the NCC to explain. Anyone else had this?

Photo of my battery set-up. Not the best but it's better than some of the professional builders are doing.

View attachment 203179
How did you get on in the end?

How did you get on in the end?
I rectified all the issues other than the battery. I totally disagree with what he said and think the battery is fine on its side as its designed to do that. I'm satisfied the van is safe as I use it for my family. Comfort insurance was a pain in the a. I went back to them and said I now have a habitation cert but then they said the van must always be kept on the drive. I can't do that as only have 1 parking space so they couldn't offer any insurance. I ended up going another year with Adrian Flux for £610 a year. I do have business use included as I use the van for work when visiting clients.

I rectified all the issues other than the battery. I totally disagree with what he said and think the battery is fine on its side as its designed to do that. I'm satisfied the van is safe as I use it for my family. Comfort insurance was a pain in the a. I went back to them and said I now have a habitation cert but then they said the van must always be kept on the drive. I can't do that as only have 1 parking space so they couldn't offer any insurance. I ended up going another year with Adrian Flux for £610 a year. I do have business use included as I use the van for work when visiting clients.
Presumably then, they issued a habitation cert with the battery positioned as was?

Presumably then, they issued a habitation cert with the battery positioned as was?
Yes. It's a bit like an MOT. There was advisories written on the report but he was satisfied it was safe. I understood that if it was dangerous, I wouldn't get the sticker which they issue to verify it was certified in 2023. However, the insurance may insist that the advisories are remedied before they insure. Adrian Flux never even asked for it.

Yes. It's a bit like an MOT. There was advisories written on the report but he was satisfied it was safe. I understood that if it was dangerous, I wouldn't get the sticker which they issue to verify it was certified in 2023. However, the insurance may insist that the advisories are remedied before they insure. Adrian Flux never even asked for it.
Even though they may not have explicitly mentioned it when you spoke to them, it would be worth reading through the policy document as they typically include clauses that obliges you to comply with specific safety requirements.

Even though they may not have explicitly mentioned it when you spoke to them, it would be worth reading through the policy document as they typically include clauses that obliges you to comply with specific safety requirements.
And there is the issue. I have tried to find the regulatory requirements for safety and best practise in campervans, motor homes and caravans but it seems they are only available to businesses registered with the NCC which is not cheap. It seems crazy that there is a secret set of safety rules but we are not allowed to see them. We can get hold of building regs but not campervan regs?

So when I got the habitation check done, I had no idea what is allowed or not and had to try it to see if it would pass.

I have been getting quotes for our new camperking varied from £800 down to £500 some asking for tracker or a wheel lock etc
I guess my high cost is down to the first year as well as value location etc ?
Just surprised as my lotus is about £300

Back