Indirect TPMS

Howzat

T6 Legend
Q1: So I can find a thread for activating this on a 6.1 and a even a 5.1 but not for a T6.
Thinking the process for the 5.1 might be the same but can anyone confirm?

Q2: Would it bawk if I had 275's on the back and 265's on the front?

TIA

Q2: Would it bawk if I had 275's on the back and 265's on the front?
That's an interesting question - my guess is the TPMS handles each tyre (or perhaps axle) separately thus it should work just fine.

Agreed, as it works of the ABS sensors after you press the save button it measures the rotation ratio between the wheels and stores it then will alert you if theres any deviation from this ratio, i assume there is a ratio tolerance that you must be within but plenty of people run staggered and oversize setups etc where there is differences in aspect ratio so i think you will be fine

Indirect TPMS monitors the actual speed of all 4 wheels. The system learns the speed pattern/variation within first 20km(approx) after the reset.
Then if one of the wheels looses some pressure its effective diameter reduces and therfore its speed increases.

This speed increase in relation to the other 3 wheels normal(same) speed is detected and indicated accordingly in Instrument Cluster.

I did a test with a diffrent tyre profile on a rear axle of my Sharan 7N(PQ35).
Approximately every 20km my TPMS was indicating a fault and I had to reset it over and over.

I am pretty sure T6 MK100 is going to behave the same(happy to be proved wrong).

Well I'll give the 5.1 instructions a go to see if I can get it activated on my T6 then will see how it goes and report back. Cheers guys.

T5.1 uses MK25 ABS(15 Byte coding)
and T6 uses MK100(18 Byte coding).
T5.1 instructions will not work on a T6 ABS.

I'm using OBD11 so for anybody else........
Went into 03 ABS then in byte 15 bit 4 there's 2 tick boxes. 1 for TPMS enabled with reset via switch and the other for TPMS enabled with reset via MFD.
Selected the MFD option then hit apply and my ABS lights and Tyre pressure warning lamps lit up on the MFD.
Didn't need to code anything else.
Found the tyre pressure option in the MFD and reset the pressures and all the lights went out.
Will see how it goes over the next few days.
Thanks again everyone for the help.

Hoping someone can help me on this. I activated it ages ago on my startline but have no mfd or button to reset. Had a puncture this week and the light came on dash as expected. But when I’ve gone into obd11 I cannot erase the fault. Or find a way to reset the light on dash. So I’ve disabled it for the time being. Wondering if it’s a case of driving it and it’ll clear again? Here is a picture of the fault on obd11.
Cheers

3989E20F-FACE-42F2-A4AD-5E65F9004256.png

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Just for anyone in the same boat. To clear it I changed long coding back to original, cleared the fault in obd11 then did the long coding again to activate.

Done about 80 miles since activating indirect TPMS and no errors or reset requests have popped up so it seems OK with my ever so slightly different profiles on the fronts v's the rears. I guess it logs each individual wheel rotation v speed and pings when one changes. We shall see, but hopefully not.

Done about 80 miles since activating indirect TPMS and no errors or reset requests have popped up so it seems OK with my ever so slightly different profiles on the fronts v's the rears. I guess it logs each individual wheel rotation v speed and pings when one changes. We shall see, but hopefully not.
It’s not a great system. I’ve had it on my golf where two tyres went down and it didn’t pick it up because it was two at the same time. Must compare them against each other ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

front(265/40R20) and rear(275/40R20)
Only 1.4% in overall diameter difference,
so I guess within system limits/tolerance.

Screenshot_20230504_204604_Chrome.jpg

I did a test with a diffrent tyre profile on a rear axle of my Sharan 7N(PQ35).
Approximately every 20km my TPMS was indicating a fault and I had to reset it over and over.

I am pretty sure T6 MK100 is going to behave the same(happy to be proved wrong).

Only 1.4% in overall diameter difference,
so I guess within system limits/tolerance.

My experiment was performed on
225/50R17 vs 225/45R17,
resulting with 3.5% diameter difference.

Concluding, the fault indication threshold must be somewhere above 1.4% in a diameter difference.

Screenshot_20230504_223140_Chrome.jpg

I guess it logs each individual wheel rotation v speed and pings when one changes. We shall see, but hopefully not.
That is how it works. It monitors wheel speed from the ABS sensors. If a difference between wheel speeds is detected, it presumes that is due to the tyre rolling radius changing, ie a deflating tyre, and activates the warning.
It is important to reset the system whenever you adjust the tyre pressures, even by a small amount. The change in the sensed rotation and any tyre tread wear can be enough to trigger the alert.

Back