T5 owner about to buy a T6

Blackfoot

Hi chaps. I currently own a 58 plate T5 factory Kombi with 142K that I've owned for nearly 10 years. It's been a great van but the bodywork is now showing it's age. Not rotting to bits , more bubbling on the edges of the wheel arches, bottom of the doors, tailgate. Mechanically it's sound, been regularly maintained and has never let me down. Its not used commercially.
I've been thinking about a newer panel van for a while and found a very late 2019 2.0 TDI BMT 150 Highline , 1 owner van, 6 speed, fsh, 30k, ex demo which is fully loaded (heated screen etc etc ). It's being bought from a VW Commercial dealer and a small deposit has been put down.
Now the doubts as it's going to cost ( for me) quite a bit of money. The many threads with problems with the dpf, egr, adblue , engine management light issues. Is this a real thing with the T6? OR is this one of those things that can effect any vehicle but is only on the forums due to a few having a problem compared to those many vans on the road with no issues at all.
Never bought from a VW dealer before, it'll come with an MOT, service and warranty. I don't think I can buy a better van but are they a whole lot of problems not far down the line? My non franchise VW mechanic wasn't hugely impressed due to all the sensors and problems that can caused the engine management light to activate along with the cost of new sensors. Any opinion appreciated

Unfortunately, the electronics required on modern diesels do seem to throw up more errors. Whether they’re any worse than other brands I couldn’t say. Invest in a code reader or VCDS. Like most modern vehicles they like to be used on longer runs to allow full regens etc to be completed.

It wouldn’t put me off buying one.

Agree the above seems the most robust.
I still have and I am now converting my t5.1 4motion (bodywork will want paint soon)
Anyway for a couple of years we also had a t6 kombi 204 dsg sunroof, Pearl pair, disnav, heated seats very high spec last year, and I must admit it was nothing but trouble, EML always on and the van got driven well with good fuel etc. serviced every 12month ans oil changed every six months, we had it from Vw Chelmsford. EML came on way home!
Good 3hr blast up the motorway aswell!
We sold it last year as the van wasn’t needed any longer.
But and it’s a big BUT, if I didn’t have the t5.1 I would still be in the market for 150 manual t6 or a well cared for t5.1.
Think the t6 is the best shaped transporter.
The modern vans just have that much on them sensor/adblue etc.
There’s good and bad with all cars but if it feels right and it does what you want and gives you what you want then bloody enjoy it

You can get a 2016 T6 without the Euro 6 rating. Should be less complex, but with the downside of being older (and attracting clean air charges)

Back