How You Wash Your Van?

I was looking at the aqua wax today. My van is a month old so I figured it shouldn’t need polishing. I’m not up for spending 50 odd quid on ultra hd wax or spending loads of time waxing on and off! How do you rate the Aqua Wax?
I use auto Glym aqua wax. Wash rinse spray on a mist of aqua wax and dry. Works perfectly for me and keeps the depth of the shine.
I only polish mine twice a year, spring and autumn.

Aqua wax is nothing more than a rinse aid.

If you want a "spray on wet and rinse off" product try either Gyeon Wet coat or carpro hydrolite, these are brilliant and give up to 3 months protection.

You could also try a quick detailed spray, nothing beads like Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

If you want a "spray on wet and rinse off" product try either Gyeon Wet coat or carpro hydrolite, these are brilliant and give up to 3 months protection.

You could also try a quick detailed spray, nothing beads like Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Carlax

It's a bit more than a simple Rinse aid, and does contain a percentage of carnauba wax, albeit very small. I use this on my Black T6, after a general wash, and once dried, it does leave a film that needs buffing off, but I wouldn't really class it as a decent protection, more a very temporary one that's ideal as a maintenance product. It's also great if you have hard water, to reduce water marks.

Autoglym do a specific Rinse aid, but i've never used it personally.

Last edited:
Here's how NOT to wash your vehicle. £100,000 S-class convertible, 68 reg and having a dirty water wash in Sainsbury's.

IMG_0386.JPG

Q.
What is the point in paying for an expensive grit guard bucket?

Surely you don't actually need a grit guard? If your washing your van and have picked up grit,then the mitt and water needs changing(or washing out). If you get to the point of not being able to see the bottom of the bucket then the water is too dirty!

Is it me or am I missing something?.

Q.
What is the point in paying for an expensive grit guard bucket?

Surely you don't actually need a grit guard? If your washing your van and have picked up grit,then the mitt and water needs changing(or washing out). If you get to the point of not being able to see the bottom of the bucket then the water is too dirty!

Is it me or am I missing something?.

A grit guard is just an extra failsafe to help reduce grabbing the grit from the bottom of the bucket whilst dunking. In reality, most grit in a mitt won't be falling out on each dunk with a quick general wash, (unless you throughly washed out the mitt each time you dunked, which most people won't do) but if you look at the bottom of your bucket after washing a filthy vehicle, you will notice a build up of sandy gunk, and the grit guard stops you dragging that back into the mitt whilst cleaning.
There's loads of different methods to clean a vehicle, but i've yet to find a way that totally stops swirling. These preferred methods only really help to reduce them.
Grit guards are not expensive anymore, and I pay around £6 for mine, but I wouldn't be without one.

Lastly in my opinion, if a vehicle is covered in mud and general grime as you're washing, then you're going to end up with damaged paint regardless of how many different tricks you use. A good blast off with the pressure washer or snow foam as the first step is always the best practice.

Back