How many underslung tanks

It would be hard to get my shower to drain into an onboard tank without pumping so that would not work.

Wow, a shower in a T6 - does the T stand for Tardis? I struggle to get a wash in my sink, so absolutely no chance of showering unless the whole inside becomes the cubicle! It often does when the dogs come in though...

One of the reasons for upgrading to a T6 is to have a less stressful & more relaxing experience with a bit more luxury so I'm afraid the foot-pump for water is a no no. Anyway, to get back to the water question. We do a lot of wild camping & rarely go to campsites so our priority is be able to store as much fresh water as possible whilst keeping the interior as spacious as possible. As for waste water - I much prefer having a decent sized tank that I can empty every few days rather than a hole and a bowl. I've already experienced that when I had a bay 20 yrs ago. I wasn't keen then & am not so now. I'm now looking at this option. Gas-it underslung tank in front of spare wheel, Propex 1600 gas heater outside under the driver's seat, CAK 204 & 205 freshwater tank giving a 48L capacity (on a par with the 50L in my t25). For waste I'm now looking at this 27L tank by Reimo which fits under the window on the drivers side.

61105.jpg

One of the reasons for upgrading to a T6 is to have a less stressful & more relaxing experience with a bit more luxury so I'm afraid the foot-pump for water is a no no. Anyway, to get back to the water question. We do a lot of wild camping & rarely go to campsites so our priority is be able to store as much fresh water as possible whilst keeping the interior as spacious as possible. As for waste water - I much prefer having a decent sized tank that I can empty every few days rather than a hole and a bowl. I've already experienced that when I had a bay 20 yrs ago. I wasn't keen then & am not so now. I'm now looking at this option. Gas-it underslung tank in front of spare wheel, Propex 1600 gas heater outside under the driver's seat, CAK 204 & 205 freshwater tank giving a 48L capacity (on a par with the 50L in my t25). For waste I'm now looking at this 27L tank by Reimo which fits under the window on the drivers side.

I do like the look of the Reimo tank - wish I'd seen that. Great use of 'dead' space. I think I'd be tempted to use it for fresh, along with one of the underslung for the extra capacity that you need (we can only manage 2 or 3 days without finding a tap / hose). Your problem (you'll probably already know) is emptying waste tanks if you're not staying on a site - our ruse is to take the small container to public toilets and empty down the sink - given that there's nothing that's not already gone down our sink!

The 204 tank sits where the heater (or exhaust) would go (VW T5 FRESH WATER STEP TANK ONLY KIT + WHITE FILLER, MOTORHOME CAMPER) - which is why I didn't get both tanks and so have less water capacity than I'd like. Too late to add the Reimo one!

We use a Whale Galley Gusher pump. Even with the water filter on it has a good flow rate. Takes a bit of space, but the waste tank sits on it... We had one of those 'bladder' foot pumps in the T25 and that WAS tedious!

Looks like Propex have a new toy - the HeatAir 3GT - which is probably the one to look at for external fitting on a T6. It claims to modulate between 3.3 and 1.4kw. Wish that had been available when I was fitting my heater! I think DaveyB fitted a 2211 which is also designed for external use, but not set up for a T6. The 1600 is meant for internal fitting :whistle:...

Just a wee note - parking up by the roadside not on a campsite is not wild camping. We do it ourselves, so I'm not being negative or judgemental. But it's the wrong name! Wild camping is going off with a tent, well away from the road... We also do that :)

The Reimo is advertised as waste water only but I can't see why it can't be rigged for fresh. I guess getting a level indicator for it could be tricky.
Has anyone managed to fit a CAK 204 alongside a heater of any sorts underneath?

Hi,

You can have a heater (gas or diesel) under the drivers seat underslung, a skirt tank such as the 21ltr cak and a propex gas bottle underslung in front of the spare wheel.

** (just to point out, if you go for the underslung heater under the drivers seat and want the outlet under the drivers seat, you DO NOT have to sacrifice using the space under the drivers seat as well for a leisure battery,chargers, etc) **

think about whether you want a diesel heater or a gas heater. There are pro’s and con’s like everything but I chose the gas option (HS2000 external) as it ties in with the gas hob and rear gas bbq hookup point.

If you are getting the underslung propex gas bottle fitted I can recommend propex direct down in Hampshire. Shorter wait list and they manufacture the thing...

Ok thanks. I think I'm there... an underslung gas tank in front of spare wheel, propex heater inside with stealth kit, CAK 204 & 205 freshwater tanks giving 48L capacity. The Reimo 27L waste tank which fits under the window on the drivers side. Not sure yet where to put the propex & the leisure battery but one thing at a time!

I’ve got an underslung lpg tank and a diesel heater being fitted under a new 6.1 SWB T28. So as you're looking at a LWB you should have an extra 400mm of length underneath to play with as well. So sounds like all three might be doable, depending on size of units for each.

The Reimo is advertised as waste water only but I can't see why it can't be rigged for fresh. I guess getting a level indicator for it could be tricky.
Has anyone managed to fit a CAK 204 alongside a heater of any sorts underneath?
@Fish’s build thread shows his simple mod of a CBE tank gauge to make it work. He used the Reimo for fresh water (I think) whereas I use it for waste.

I've been looking into underslung tanks a bit myself but as with most people I also have a heater under the drivers seat area.

I came across this on a self build camper forum, it won't be for everyone and I'm not necessarily going to use it myself but I thought it was a good idea, more so for waste water, house drainage pipe and some additional fittings, can be made to any size so could be made to fit in spare space.

IMG_0645.jpeg

Reactions: mmi
Back