Holidaying in France post brexit

We are in the process of having this confirmed - we have a few bike races lined up in Belgium for July and we were left scratching our heads on being told we can't take bikes..... I think there is a way you can do the necessary paperwork that allows you to declare that the bike was purchased in the UK, so that on the way back it isn't seen to be a belgian purchase (for example) and that we aren't importing a load of bikes back into the UK. I will have to ensure I drink a couple of juicy 'Trappists' before coming back, as i think we could get our hands slapped for bringing anything home..... It's all not terribly clear at the moment...

There is an article on British cycling about competing in Europe. I’m not for if I’ve already copied in the link but I believe you have to get a carnet for each bike

@EdH. Thanks for posting that which I found interesting (saddo that I am). The bits that particularly caught my attention were having to prove that you had enough money to fund your stay in France (but it doesn't say anywhere quite how you prove it - maybe Travellers Cheques will be revived!) and medical insurance (neither of which I was aware of). On insurance, I understood that a current EHIC was still valid for routine stuff but the French seem to be ignoring it. That said, I would never have dreamt in the past of travelling anywhere without full travel insurance before Brexit so I'm not likely to do it now we've left. For those who have not seen it, here's a direct quote from the official French site:

'1) British nationals not having resident status in an EU Member State and who wish to visit France for a short stay or who are in transit to another Member State or from the Schengen area will not need a visa after 31 December 2020.​
They will have to:​
  • Show their passport, which will be stamped on entry and exit from the Schengen area. The maximum period for a short stay will be 90 days in any 180-day period.
  • Be able to prove that they have enough money for their stay. Normally, the minimum amount required for France will be 65 euros per day. [1]
  • Carry a certificate of insurance covering any expenses relating to medical/hospital treatment and death that might be incurred at any point during the stay in France, including medical repatriation costs.'
[1] If a hotel booking is not produced as proof of accommodation, the minimum daily amount for staying in France will be 120 euros. If a hotel is booked for only part of a stay, the daily amount required will be 65 euros for the period covered by the booking and 120 euros for the remainder. For travellers with proof of private accommodation this sum will be 32.50 euros per day.​

@rod_vw. That looks like a useful site - thanks for flagging it up.

As a general observation from my personal perspective, Brexit just seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Since when would it cost €65 / £56 a day to live?
If I go to europe, I usually camp, so maybe €15 a night, lunch/breakfast from Lidl/Aldi/Super U, and a pizza for dinner, so €25-€30 on average a day.
If I stay at my brother's place then subtract the campsite fees (and add the beer)

Was hoping to possibly get over to France in September but with infections on the rise both in the EU and here at home can't see it happening this year.

We’ve pushed our mountain bike trip to Morzine back to Sept 2021 and the venue has been swapped to Finale Ligure in Italy.
We have decided to drive down so I guess we’ll find out about high value bikes nearer the time (if indeed we end up going at all).

It's easy to complain about Brexit when you've had the Covid jab that so many EU citizens are still waiting for! :thumbsup:
That’s fine for all you double jabbers out there!

Hopefully brexit will sort itself out soon and we’ll all know what the deal is, the problem is the lack of info or conflicting info. I think a positive of it will be that going to France will seem like going abroad again instead of just going too far south on a train and missing Kent. Plus, we get a different coloured passports, so many benefits, crazy times!

We’re booking for 2022.

On the van insurance I need to notify them at least 4 weeks in advance to sort the cover (green card I think - I wasn’t really listening!)

Back