France for the first time in years...

I get with the trepidation but this is really one of those age things that creep up on you.
In our case we've ridden a Suzuki GS750 one year then four up in an XR2 the next year both times to La Napoule just outside Cannes back in the mid 80s followed by family trips to Euro and Keycamp sites over the years until the teenage years when the kids abandon you.
We're crossing from Poole to Cherbourg rather than the chunnel after being scarred by that Titan submersible implosion horror, I figure I'll be able to swim the first 100yds if anything goes wrong as I've got that on a certificate.
I'll be honest I'm getting a little bit excited about the prospect of striking out a bit further afield even if it's a bit squeaky bum!
Edit, no there weren't four of us on the Suzuki.

I get with the trepidation but this is really one of those age things that creep up on you.
In our case we've ridden a Suzuki GS750 one year then four up in an XR2 the next year both times to La Napoule just outside Cannes back in the mid 80s followed by family trips to Euro and Keycamp sites over the years until the teenage years when the kids abandon you.
We're crossing from Poole to Cherbourg rather than the chunnel after being scarred by that Titan submersible implosion horror, I figure I'll be able to swim the first 100yds if anything goes wrong as I've got that on a certificate.
I'll be honest I'm getting a little bit excited about the prospect of striking out a bit further afield even if it's a bit squeaky bum!
Edit, no there weren't four of us on the Suzuki.
I get that. 2017 I rode to Turkey and back on a GS. Nothing booked just rode for the day and booked a campsite, or hotel if in a big city. I guess I’m just over thinking things and letting anxiety takeover.

0775DC11-B956-41BE-9CB6-7FD0E776D0F4.jpeg

We never book and just follow the weather. We are fortunate not to have to travel during school holidays and have never had a problem finding sites with the ACSI Camping Card. Just be aware of national and local holiday days (of which there are many) when sites can be busy so best to arrive on Thursday and stay put over the weekend.

We get cash from the ATM’s just to cover small expenditure and use our credit card for everything else.

We try to avoid toll routes wherever possible because the local roads provide a much better experience such as stumbling across fantastic markets, restaurants, and attractions.

Take your time and have fun.

If using Portsmouth or Poole to France then consider their friends and family club voyage. For an annual payment you get 30% off fares. Plus friends and family can get 10% off.
PM me if you want to be my friend!

The french autoroutes are brilliant if you want to get somewhere quick, I did Freiburg in Switzerland to Kent in a day on a Honda VFR a few years ago. One good thing about living in the SE is that I can be on the continent in about 2 hours from leaving my door.

Monzo card for anything overseas, I've used mine in France, Italy, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium...

The standard of driving over there is also so much better than the UK.

Back