Holidaying in France post brexit

@EdH. From earlier today:
As mentioned in an earlier post we have recently returned home from a nearly three week trip down to the South of France. In simple terms, we got fed up hiding from Covid for the last two years and decided that we needed to head south for some sunshine and beach time.

As I said before, when it came to Covid, the French seemed to take it a bit more seriously than a lot of people do here. We had our NHS ‘Covid Certificates’ on the phones and our double vaxxed status was checked by French border officers at the tunnel. I reckon that there was only about 25 - 30 cars on the train (a 1020 departure). Mask wearing was enforced everywhere when indoors unless eating or drinking and with the exception of two restaurant that we went to in the south, the QR codes were scanned either before sitting down or soon after when outside or before going indoors. Indeed, on the way home, we stayed a few nights in Montreuil Sur Mer and were eating in the covered pavement area outside a restaurant (Le Caveau – very good) when 4 dutch people turned up - three of them had their phones scanned with no problem but the fourth couldn’t find the QR code on his phone and the restaurant wouldn’t let him sit until he could show it (which he did after much screen swiping, swearing and searching!). As an aside, Montreuil is highly recommended as is the campsite situated just below the town walls (and a short stroll to the main town square).

We also noticed that people seemed to give you a bit more space when out and about and when we camped in La Grande Motte (The Camargue) for 6 days, there was a free Covid testing station on the beach. I’ve no way of knowing how well used it was (other than seeing a fair few mostly younger people queuing!) nor the vaccine status of those on the large and uncrowded beach (inc. at the weekend).

For our last two nights, we stayed at Chateau de Gandspatte which is a convenient 30 minutes from the tunnel. This was the only pre-booked site that we used and I booked it purely because it’s popular with Brits and the reception staff usually speak good English - I didn’t want my command of French to confuse things when it came to them booking us our return Covid Tests in the local pharmacy (in Watten). Julien (a really nice and helpful guy who spoke better English than me!) made a quick call for us when the pharmacy opened at 1000hrs and we were in and out with negative Lateral Flow Test about 40 minutes later. The pharmacist sent us a text before we left with a link to the 'official' negative test certificate pdf download and also gave us a hard copy.

With the exception of La Grand Motte, every Campsite that we stayed in was reasonably quiet and there were hardly any Brits anywhere (at least that we saw). Indeed, at the first site that we camped at (Camping au Bord de l'Aisne in Guignicourt), we got chatting to a nice old chap who was walking his dog along the river bank and who moved there from Northampton 25 years ago. His opening line when he heard us talk was ‘you’re brave’ and he went on to explain that we were the first Brit tourists that he had seen this year . As mentioned above, Gandspatte was the only site that we booked in advance and the rest we selected from the Camping Card book en route (thanks again to @Nigel W). That said, I think we just got lucky at La Grande Motte (the campsite was called La Petite Motte) as we got a pitch when we arrived but the next day they were turning people away.

As I said in my previous post, we had a great time despite a few nightmares:

The roof mounted solar panel flew off on the motorway near Lyon when we were doing a very French legal 70 MPH - I can only pray that it didn’t cause any havoc behind us but there were very few cars on the road. I have already contacted the firm that installed it by email and had a positive initial response which expressed their regrets and willingness to sort it out and I’ve no reason to doubt them at the moment – they’re a local firm with a very good reputation. That said, if I have any trouble with them I would have no problem with naming and shaming.

The wind deflector in front of the West Dubs pop top roof started debonding. The first we know of it was a thump on the roof and when I pulled over found that about 30 cm had come away and was flapping in the wind so I pulled the rest off. It’s already been fixed FOC by West Dubs who fitted it themselves 2 years ago. When I called them, they immediately offered to put one in the post but when I asked were also very happy to do the job themselves if I wanted to make the 70 odd mile round trip to their workshop which I did (luckily, I had filled up just as we got home to do the overall consumption calculations and before the fuel started to run out at my local garage!).

The end piece of the Reimo Multi Rail came loose (the part where the Kador enters). I fixed that myself while I was at West Dubs getting the wind deflector replaced – they let me borrow a tube of Sikaflex and strip of tape to hold it down while it the stuff went off.

I could bore you all about the various campsites / restaurants that we used and places visited but decided that I have already gone on for long enough. That said, if anybody does want more information either say so here or PM me and I’ll be happy to help.

@EdH. From earlier today:
Wow, that's a reply and a half. Thanks for this really informative. Maybe one day we attempt a similar road trip in our new campervan, our daughter would love to go to France. She is obsessed with it, no idea why to be honest, I never had any desire to visit it. Having spent my childhood summer holidays on Croatia's coast. But I am leaning towards the France roadtrip.

I was travelling in Europe in August and a green card was needed together with an international driving licence - only if you have the old paper licence. As mentioned UK (not GB) stickers now required.

@EdH. Our original intention this year was to head to Croatia but my wife got cold feet about the distance and number of countries involved in the journey in these Covid days. I didn't agree with her but didn't want to argue over an issue that affected both of us! The compromise was to do the road trip to France and he experience seems to have persuaded her that Croatia could be back on the cards for next year so that's now my planning goal. I would also add, just don't turn your nose up to France as it's a very nice place for a holiday with lots of options depending on the time of year - it's also very campervan / motorhome friendly.

Green card not needed for the majority of places. Certainly not for the countries you are likely to be driving in.

Just got back from 4 weeks in France and I must say it was all very easygoing, eurotunnel was just as easy as ever, maybe a bit easier 'cos of lack of punters.
just the normal checks, passport etc. We did fluster before we left about what foodstuff to take, as we normally empty our fridge when we leave and take it with us, but we only took a few things and could've taken all as normal.Masks had to be worn in any public space, shops and markets etc, some people didn't in the markets but the shops were very strict even telling people to pull them up over their nose.
Weather was friggin' great as well, high 20's most days with a few + 30's. :)

Green card not needed for the majority of places. Certainly not for the countries you are likely to be driving in.
a-plan, said that a green card would be needed. I think your insurers prefer you to have it. most insurers also limited the time you can spend abroad In your vehicle.

My insurers Comfort told me there was no such thing as a physical green card any more and that I'm automatically covered for all the countries listed on the back of my certificate (basically all of Europe plus a couple of adjoining ones), subject to the usual 90 day trip limit.

My insurers Comfort told me there was no such thing as a physical green card any more and that I'm automatically covered for all the countries listed on the back of my certificate (basically all of Europe plus a couple of adjoining ones), subject to the usual 90 day trip limit.
According to Gov.uk and they should be the ‘go to’ for info’ there is still a Green Card, although not required for all countries.

Just found a couple of as new Ikea yellow childrens hi viz vests if anyone needs them. I understand all occupants travelling in France need them by law and they have to be within reach when seated in the vehicle.

Happy to post FOC - all I ask is you make a small donation to a charity of your choice. (Smoke free home but we do have a guinea pig so technically not pet free :) )

Ian

Has anybody else come across any issues with booking on P&O ferries Dover to Calais. We were looking at a quick trip to the other side of the channel sometime before Christmas and I went on line to compare tunnel-v-ferry costs. Although we've not actually used the ferry for donkeys years, my first stop was P&O and imagine my surprise when the fare quoted one way on the website for a motorhome under 7M (there's no campervan category) travelling next week was £1K (yes, you did read it right!). A van of the same size was £65 and a car £36. The equivalent fare on Eurtunnel for a campervan was £113. I'm assuming that I could have booked onto the ferry as a van with no problems (particularly as their system picks up the registration number as a 'Transporter') but TBH, I would probably be happy top pay the extra to go via the tunnel as it's just a lot more convenient.Motorhome.pngVan.pngCar.pngTunnel.png

Has anybody else come across any issues with booking on P&O ferries Dover to Calais. We were looking at a quick trip to the other side of the channel sometime before Christmas and I went on line to compare tunnel-v-ferry costs. Although we've not actually used the ferry for donkeys years, my first stop was P&O and imagine my surprise when the fare quoted one way on the website for a motorhome under 7M (there's no campervan category) travelling next week was £1K (yes, you did read it right!). A van of the same size was £65 and a car £36. The equivalent fare on Eurtunnel for a campervan was £113. I'm assuming that I could have booked onto the ferry as a van with no problems (particularly as their system picks up the registration number as a 'Transporter') but TBH, I would probably be happy top pay the extra to go via the tunnel as it's just a lot more convenient.View attachment 133157View attachment 133158View attachment 133159View attachment 133160
The accountants outlook on the pricing will be as long as the ferry is full the price is too low.
There’s high demand and they lost millions in the lockdowns.
Try DFDS Newhaven / Dieppe

On my recent trip I got flashed a couple of times and was expecting the speeding fines to be on my doormat as usual, But no, nothing as yet and it's been nearly 2 months. Normally they would come in 2 weeks.Maybe they will still arrive, with delays due to brexit.
Are we still sharing this sort of data with the french?

On my recent trip I got flashed a couple of times and was expecting the speeding fines to be on my doormat as usual, But no, nothing as yet and it's been nearly 2 months. Normally they would come in 2 weeks.Maybe they will still arrive, with delays due to brexit.
No mention of fines on Gov.uk (maybe it’s there but in Latin) but you can guarantee that the French authorities will follow it up next time you’re in France and I’m sure it will be with ‘interest’.
It’s a bit challenging keeping to the constantly varying speed limits especially as most French drivers don’t but when in Rome……
IMO relax, basically respect the local rules, there’s plenty of opinionated Brit’s ready to ship strangers home for not following the rules.

No mention of fines on Gov.uk (maybe it’s there but in Latin) but you can guarantee that the French authorities will follow it up next time you’re in France and I’m sure it will be with ‘interest’.
It’s a bit challenging keeping to the constantly varying speed limits especially as most French drivers don’t but when in Rome……
IMO relax, basically respect the local rules, there’s plenty of opinionated Brit’s ready to ship strangers home for not following the rules.
normally stick to/below the speed limits in France but was doing 92 on a road that is now 80 not 90 Doh!

Considering a big outcry was the ending of the Shengen agreement where wanted offenders details were shared, I’d hesitate a guess at this having fallen by the wayside too.
But don’t quote me on it when a NIP lands on the doormat or you get swifted at Calais

Back