importing from the EU

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I am looking to buy Seikel 30mm lift suspension for my new 4motion (getting seikel as its vw approved and wont affect the warranty) and get it sent on to NZ in a container.
does anyone know the process now since brexit? do you have to contract an import agent and pay import tax etc??
set is about 1200quid so comparable to other sets sold here.

am not looking for replies on the merit of the suspension etc, just want to know the import process if any one has done it?

Thanks in advance.

Brexit will not affect you importing from the EU. What country are you importing from? Presumably Germany. I would ask the supplier about the ins and outs from Germany.

What's the relevance of Brexit if you're importing to NZ from the EU?

He said get it sent on to NZ so I’m guessing the person sending it is in the UK.

Not sure why you would want to pay two sets of import charges? Just have it despatched via DHL (other couriers are available) from Germany, and pay the fees on arrival.

Reactions: Bav
You could bring it into UK as a temporary import but it's a lot of paperwork and cost. Any freight forwarder can do this but I don't see any advantages to this method on a relatively inexpensive / easy to transport item.

Not sure why you would want to pay two sets of import charges? Just have it despatched via DHL (other couriers are available) from Germany, and pay the fees on arrival.
Precisely

Putting aside why i want to import to the UK then on to NZ.
has anyone actually bought anything of value (1000quid) from EU or Germany? did it just get sent to you or did you have to get a import co involved?
from the little info i can find i may have to pay 2% duty and VAT is reclaimable on export.
it may prove to be less hassle just getting it sent direct to NZ, but via UK will be by far the cheaper option for me.

You pay import duty and vat over £135 equivalent value. It's collected at the point of delivery by the delivery company who add their fees for the service. Under £135 the UK now expects foreign companies to register to collect VAT on the UK's behalf and, unsurprisingly, many smaller companies don't want the bother and simply refuse to ship to the UK regardless of value.

I'm a little confused you are asking here and not the EU suppliers or your UK shipping contacts.

I’ve bought a few bikes from Canyon in Germany, but they are able to use DDP, and included the VAT.

Other items I’ve imported I just get a call or mail from FedEx or DHL to pay the tax, duty and fees, then they send it on.

At work, I operate the reporting processes for Inward Processing Relief and for bonded warehousing. I wouldn’t want to do either of these for my own personal stuff, but if you are familiar with the VAT reclaim process, and if the UK import duty is significantly less than the difference between the DE-NZ freight and DE-GB, then fair enough.

You will know more about NZ import than me, but suspension parts under 8708.80.01, the NZ tariff appears to be free, and similarly for import to UK. This is for specific parts intended for OEM build though. Important thing is to make sure the right tariff code is used.

You pay import duty and vat over £135 equivalent value. It's collected at the point of delivery by the delivery company who add their fees for the service. Under £135 the UK now expects foreign companies to register to collect VAT on the UK's behalf and, unsurprisingly, many smaller companies don't want the bother and simply refuse to ship to the UK regardless of value.

I'm a little confused you are asking here and not the EU suppliers or your UK shipping contacts.
EU supplier only want to send it, and my shippers only export, NOT import. so not getting much help on that side of things.

I’ve bought a few bikes from Canyon in Germany, but they are able to use DDP, and included the VAT.

Other items I’ve imported I just get a call or mail from FedEx or DHL to pay the tax, duty and fees, then they send it on.

At work, I operate the reporting processes for Inward Processing Relief and for bonded warehousing. I wouldn’t want to do either of these for my own personal stuff, but if you are familiar with the VAT reclaim process, and if the UK import duty is significantly less than the difference between the DE-NZ freight and DE-GB, then fair enough.

You will know more about NZ import than me, but suspension parts under 8708.80.01, the NZ tariff appears to be free, and similarly for import to UK. This is for specific parts intended for OEM build though. Important thing is to make sure the right tariff code is used.
Thank for that answer, yes it does seem like there is possibly a bit a scaremongering about needing an import agent, so i think i will take a punt and just get them sent - what can possibly go wrong.......

At work we’ve not ordered from the EU since Brexit, instead opting to find UK distributors for those products. However we import from other countries such as the US. We order, they send it, it gets held at customs til we’ve paid the import duty then it gets delivered. Can take a couple of weeks from the US. The delay is mainly getting it processed by UK customs.

EU supplier only want to send it, and my shippers only export, NOT import. so not getting much help on that side of things.
So is your actual question who can I pay to receive a delivery in the UK and send it to my shipping agents to send on to New Zealand?

Because up to this point I think we all assumed you were sending to a friend in the UK?

Back