France for the first time in years...

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
Going to France for the first time in probably 20yrs and never in a campervan so wondering how everyone else goes on with autoroute tolls, paying for fuel and food etc ie. cash or card?
Got our Crit sticker and all sites booked but would be good to have a bit of an heads up to see what has changed since our Keycamp and Eurocamp days, cheers!

A Starling debit card makes it a breeze , soft credit check and accepted everywhere: tolls, fuel, shops etc etc
exchange rate is spot on and on a daily basis (look it up)

toll roads: Travelling with a passenger; use your debit, if you e not got a co pilot, get a toll
Tag (depending on where your going to / from )

Paid at the toll booths as we went along using a prepaid Wise debit card

We used a Post Office pre paid card and got an Emovis tag for the tolls......so easy and straight though with no queuing.

@Stay Frosty. By coincidence, we ordered Emovis toll tags for France and Spain/Portugal yesterday (they arrived about 5 minutes ago!). It costs a little bit more overall than stopping to collect a ticket and then to pay cash or put the card int the other end but I'm hoping it will prove worthwhile in the long run. I bought mine via an offer from Le Shuttle which slightly reduces the price. Cruising on French autoroutes can also be a real pleasure - invariably get you where you want to go very quickly as there's usually very little traffic in comparison to the congested UK motorways plus the Aire (motorway service) network is very good with frequent places to pull over and most have very clean toilet facilities and green picnic areas even when there are no retail outlets present. However, as @JOG says minor roads can be good as well and you do see some lovely countryside.

We use Barclays Reward Cards (Visa) firstly with Halifax Clarity Cards (Mastercard) as backup for spending and ATM cash withdrawals but also tend to keep a few hundred Euros in the safe at home anyway to start us off as we travel over there quite often. When overseas, I've always found having the ability to use either Visa or Mastercard useful as then you're almost guaranteed to have something that works all of the time. Fuel is almost always paid for with cards as are supermarket / shopping bills but with eating out, it usually depends on what sort of place you're in (hence always having a roll of Euros!).

We almost always use ACSI sites and never pre-book. We've found that an ACSI Camping Card can give significant savings out of high season and have rarely been let down by the quality of their sites.

Don't forget to apply for GHIC Cards for all those traveling (it's the successor to the EHIC card that we had before Brexit). That said, I would never travel anywhere overseas, even of a short time, without full travel insurance cover and we always buy annual policy (been with Staysure for the last few years).

It seems very obvious (and I think they all do nowadays) but make sure that your car insurance covers you for Europe and check on-line what else you need to do to be Europe 'road legal' - I'm thinking of stuff like Hi Viz jackets (which must be accessible), UK number plates and /or stickers, spare bulbs etc.

There's a lot of seasoned euro road trippers on here who can advise on specific issues - you just need to ask.

Last edited:
Cheers gents and agreed @JOG the RNs are pretty much like our A roads and I've used them in the past but as I said I've not been to France since 2001 and guessing that things have changed since then.
Is cash still a thing or are my more recent Spanish leftover holiday Euros worth taking?
Edit and I'll read your extensive reply @Ayjay , cheers!

Our experience is that cards are used everywhere, but we always take plenty of Euros just in case.
The best bet is to use your debit card as early as you can in the trip, so you can be confident it will work.
Check that you don't have to tell your bank that you are going abroad too.

Pete

For the past couple of years in France I have been using Municipal campsites which are run by the local town council/Mayor. You will find some cracking sites and with very reasonable prices. One municipal campsite cost me €17.40 for two nights with electricity in August. To find campsites I use the Archies camping app:

I also use these links:

With regards to a tag for the paége I found the charges for the tag from Emovis higher than if you get one from a French operator like Bip&Go or Fulli. Most French tag issuers require you to pay your invoice via direct debit. You can do this with a Starling bank account as it has accounts in GBP and Euros. When I receive my invoice I convert what I owe to my euro account.

IMG20230822174603.jpg

As above the Emovis bip and go tags are well worth it. France is catching on to the Italian telepass tolls where at some you only have to slow down to 30 kph also less/ no queue at the telepass lanes. Do need to watch for height restrictions on some of the telepass lanes ,too low for a camper van, usually on the left as you approach. You can see the telepass signs way back but the height restrictions only when you get closer. We watch which telepass lanes the hgv s take usually to the right and follow them.

Some good points raised here. I would also add, according to many money websites, that if you intend to pay a bill by card, for a meal, shopping, tobacco etc and they give you the choice of making the card payment in euros or sterling, always choose euros or whatever local currency may be.
Apparently the exchange rate works out better in your favour that way.

Travelling tunnel or ferry?

If using the tunnel then play with the vehicle makes to find the best price and then add the registration at the end........it doesnt cross reference once you start the manual process. A Velle is cheaper than a Shuttle.

Reactions: CAB
Very jealous, first year we are not going after 10 years on the run, teenagers eh!
I always pay in local currency. Take a few euros. I have been using a Halifax clarity card for years, no charges. I got caught out the first year, just used a different type of card all the time even for small amounts then my next bill was full of usage and conversion fees! Numerous £1.50 ish charges!!
Never used the toll card thingy, always have a co pilot (the wife!)
Enjoy!

Really fancy doing France this year. might have to get some tips from the threads on the forum

We use the Chase pre loaded card abroad. Better exchange rates and 1% cash back on most purchases up to £15 max cash back max per month.

Just to echo the requirement for a GHIC. I think any travel insurance provider will require you to have one. Mine certainly did (I didn't :whistle:)

Snap, but reading a lot of these threads makes it seem a bit complicated.
Dead easy. We made a last minute decision and left the T6 Bala weekend last year and went straight to France. Have a Revolut card that I use. Took no euros. Avoided tolls and did the west coast from Benodet to Il de Re stopping at aires next to beaches and occasional camp sites. Never booked a site or anything. No problem stopping anywhere.
Nice stress free two weeks.
This was an aire, beach other side of those 2 trees. €9 I think that was.
IMG_4644.jpeg

Last edited:
Back