Hi I'm Solow Suspension, here to help.

Haha, you got me!!! Jokes aside i'm not here in disguise being Solow Suspension. I've just joined to answer suspension related questions, as I've been told about lots of lies being said on here about Solow, Bilstein and Twin Adjust Projekt. I Couldn't Really Stand any more so had to come here to let people know the truth. If i join as Transporter HQ, i'd spend all day answering questions about everything Transporter related. :D

To answer your question, yes! We have a habit in the Transporter world to buy suspension and set it as low as it will go for looks. The trouble is its not designed to run like that. It shouldn't be set that low. Either wind your ST's up and enjoy a more comfy ride (its a decent suspension after all) or go for a set up thats designed to go lower, like the NSL you mentioned.

I hope this helps

Andy (possibly from Transporter HQ) ;)
I've just bought some Eibachs (B14) Komfort Coils from you.

I would go with LOW set high over NSL set low. I hope that make sense. Its a fine balance between looks and comfort but going really low will always have its sacrifices other than going on AiR. What its impossible to do, is factor in every van type into spring and damper development. Empty SWB 102 manual will be very different to a LWB 4motion DSG full camper for example. It would be an interesting experiment to try the NSL rear spring with your current us set. It would all work and fit as they use the same adjust platform.

Its worth noting, you may find your wheel and type combo could also effect this.
Hey, I’m in the same predicament, what did you decide JB? I’m running 18’s as well. Looking for 90-100mm drop on 6.1 t32.

I've just bought some Eibachs (B14) Komfort Coils from you.
Thanks for your business

Hey, I’m in the same predicament, what did you decide JB? I’m running 18’s as well. Looking for 90-100mm drop on 6.1 t32.
What is in the rear of your vehicle?

Another Solow user. Changed from Stance+, which I'd convinced myself were good. Such a good ride on the Solows, especially for how low the vans sitting! It was night and day the difference in ride quality!
View attachment 216428

Stunning! Love the wheel and colour combo.

I’m also on solow suspension and a fully converted camper

Tbh I had to raise mine to the max but still got the look I wanted :)
Love it and the ride quality is great

To think I could drop it more

View attachment 216063

View attachment 216064

View attachment 216065
Hi Andy, van looks great. I'm curious though, are you saying you're at full height ? What tyres are you running, 255/35 ?
I have mine (T5.1 T28 camper) at nearly full height and its not that low
vc_2.jpg

Thats a strong look. Looks proper smart that.
Thanks, I do love my SoLows but found that the original SoLow rear springs were a bit soft for my camper as even at full height they hit the bump stops and the tyres rubbed the top of the inner arches. I did trim the rubber stops some what but didnt want to cut the metal holders. I ended up fitting my original Eibach Low 60mm rear springs with no collar (adjuster delete) and am very happy with the ride and look. I think the picture I posted above was with the adjuster fitted but with no rings. Here's a few from a show I did recently with adjuster delete. When measured it's exactly the same height as it was on the SoLow springs near max height, 355mm.
I think it was me that may have unwittiningly started this debate/thread when I posted the issue with the rear springs on my camper.

IMG_6956.jpgIMG_6960.jpgIMG_6962.jpg

Last edited:
SoLow all the way, swapped out my ABP front and rear Air for SoLow and even swapped out my ABP stealth, so called quiet compressor for one of the SoLow versions which are lighter, smaller and quieter.

One of the biggest bonuses for me is the 24month warranty whereas you only get 12 months warrantly with other Air products.

IMG_8563.png

IMG_8561.jpeg

Hi Andy, van looks great. I'm curious though, are you saying you're at full height ? What tyres are you running, 255/35 ?
I have mine (T5.1 T28 camper) at nearly full height and its not that low
View attachment 216600
Hi Ben

Front is at full hight yes
Rears have around 10mm more to raise
Tyres
front 255/35/20
Rears 275/35/20

No rubbing wing screw removed

Another SoLow member here, been running them for around 4 years and I can’t fault it.

I run it at max height due to towing a caravan but it’s perfect.

If I wasn’t selling the van soon I’d be going for the SoLow Air next.

View attachment 216654

View attachment 216655

View attachment 216656
Sell it for another van, or leaving the Transporter scene? :(

It looks stunning by the way. We get the towing question asked a lot. As your's shows, lowering can really help towing as it brings the van down, to keep the tow hitch in a nice straight line with the caravan.

SoLow all the way, swapped out my ABP front and rear Air for SoLow and even swapped out my ABP stealth, so called quiet compressor for one of the SoLow versions which are lighter, smaller and quieter.

One of the biggest bonuses for me is the 24month warranty whereas you only get 12 months warrantly with other Air products.

View attachment 216613

View attachment 216614
Now thats beautiful. A lot of work gone in to that front end!! Yes we've tried our compressors side by side, with all the other compressors we've found out there so far. When testing with a DB meter, the Solow SSH compressors are considerable quieter.

For comparison, this is mine on Solow's at full height. 225/55/17 which is 20mm smaller in diameter than the 20's that @BenT5 has.
View attachment 216652
I do love a lower swamper. I had the same wheels on my old van on air suspension a few years ago. Strong look, love it :)

@The Bear78 Great stance, I notice you have a tow-bar, what do you tow? any issues being on SoLow?
See the post above with the caravan. Lowering the van helps when towing, as it bring the hitch down to match the caravan height.

@The Bear78 Great stance, I notice you have a tow-bar, what do you tow? any issues being on SoLow?
No. No problems towing in general but our horsebox hitch was a little higher than the tow bar. It was quite noticeable how much more weight was on the front wheels of the twin axle trailer.
I've since switched to a different Bilstein coilover which give about a 70mm drop but, this was mainly because of ground clearance issues. Towing to horse events and my recently taken up hobby of trials riding means a lot of trips along rough tracks and through forests and the van was just too low. I've also fitted AT tyres so the van is about 30mm higher than previously which is ideal. The bigger tyres really fill the arches too so it doesn't actually look any higher at first glance.
I can't fault any of the Bilstein products that I've had.
20231012_081158.jpg

Last edited:
Back