H4 To H7 Upgrade

Managed to bag these for £50 delivered.

Now just have to brace myself for removing the bumper to swap out my old H4s...
Use the THQ video.

But if you have fog lights, don't forget to undo the connector last thing before taking the bumper off.

I have fogs and parking sensors so I left the bumper on. You can do it by pulling each corner forward just enough to get at the bolts. Be careful of the grill though; very sharp and sliced the end of my finger on it.

Managed to bag these for £50 delivered.

Now just have to brace myself for removing the bumper to swap out my old H4s...
Make sure you get Osram Nightbreakers in before you fit the lights

Bumper can be off in 10 minutes and back on in 10 once practiced.
I have fogs and parking sensors so I left the bumper on. You can do it by pulling each corner forward just enough to get at the bolts. Be careful of the grill though; very sharp and sliced the end of my finger on it.
If you have removed enough fixings to do that, you're almost there to pull the whole bumper off. See comment above, can be removed in 10 minutes once practiced. And fogs + sensors is one connector on drivers side to disconnect.

I did similar. I just supported the bumper underneath so I could lower it a couple of inches once the upper fasteners were undone. No need to unplug my fogs and more than enough room for the headlight bolts.

Reactions: CAB
Holy smokes, how did anyone get these bulbs to fit View attachment 218008
That doesn’t look like the same bulb that I used. It looks longer because the shiny black bit between the connector and bulb head is much larger. The bulb is also black rather than silver (not that will stop it fitting!).

Maybe they have changed the design? Link to mine below. And pic to show it looks shorter.

20Twenty LED DRL Bulbs

IMG_6124.png

That doesn’t look like the same bulb that I used. It looks longer because the shiny black bit between the connector and bulb head is much larger. The bulb is also black rather than silver (not that will stop it fitting!).

Maybe they have changed the design? Link to mine below. And pic to show it looks shorter.

20Twenty LED DRL Bulbs

View attachment 218010
I have sent mine back.. too long.. got to a point for trying "force" them in, which could create a problem when they need replacing

Has anyone tried Osram LED bulbs from ECP as DRL in H7 headlights and its fault free?

Finally getting round to fitting my H7 this weekend.

As soon as I put my handbrake down they lights came on. My van is a 2019 high line, yes, my drive is on an incline with the front end down.. perhaps easier to say a decline??
Carista can be used to alter the behaviour of the DRLs. As factory, mine were on regardless of handbrake position, but I can make them deactivate with the handbrake on if required.

When I looked at theirs a year or so ago none of them were Canbus compatible. Without that they will trigger a fault. The Twenty20 ones from Autobulbsdirect don’t trigger the warning.

DRL bulbs
Regarding these, I recently had to return mine to them as they would not fit. They said that the design may have changed

I went for the H7's because I just wanted a better dipped beam. I know H4 have same 55w but my H4 with 200% Osram bulbs are still terrible, will the H7 beam be much better?

The only way the H7 headlight will be brighter as an headlight overall is with main and dipped beams both running at the same time.
The reflector in the H7 type is simply a smaller conventional reflector than that in the H4 headlight not a projector lens as in the stock VW led or THQ type led lookalike.
Putting a decent H4 led lamp in the H4 headlight will make it more than a match for the H7 headlight similarly equipped during the normal 90 odd percent of driving when dipped. Not many times in the real world where you can drive all guns blazing and if you do drive in the sticks a lot then you're going to be running some sort of add on lighting already.
20191104_202258.jpg

20191104_201030.jpg
That's dipped above and main beam below at the same location from a stock H4 headlight with a Novisight led H4 lamp fitted in 2019.

Last edited:
@Stay Frosty You're not comparing eggs with eggs. The H4s may well have a larger reflector, but that reflector is shaped to do both jobs. The H7s have dedicated dipped and main beam reflectors so are not compromised.

You have improved your H4s with an LED bulb upgrade. People could do the same with H7 headlights and get even better results. Obviously there are varying opinions on the rights and wrongs of LED bulbs in reflector housings, but that's for another day.

Not being funny but you always get the arse when I put the case for my real world experience of having put brighter lamps in the H4 headlight and back it up with pictures showing that improvement.
Might help your argument if you could back up your opinion with something similar for the H7 headlight on dip only showing the improvement otherwise it's just more nay saying... just saying.:whistle:

I went for the H7's because I just wanted a better dipped beam. I know H4 have same 55w but my H4 with 200% Osram bulbs are still terrible, will the H7 beam be much better?
IMHO, Yes is the answer to your question (with the same standard halogen bulbs in both). But as @Stay Frosty and @dubber36 are politely discussing this is a pretty subjective assessment so as they say "your mileage may vary'.
Personally I also like the look of the H7's on the front. If you can find a set cheap on eBay or elsewhere its a cost effective upgrade to the standard H4's.

Back