H&R Anti Holl Bars (ARB) Front + Rear

The rear has to be done one side at a time as there's no central position strong enough to lift on.
I adjusted my rear ride height easily, one side at a time, in half a day, you need a pair of 21mm sockets for the bottom damper bolts (or a socket and a spanner) so you can pull the arm down to release pressure on the adjustable spring collars to turn them easily, mark position on base and collar and adjust the same amount both sides.
How did you manage to get the arm low enough to release the spring? I’ve had a go at doing it one side at a time today and the roll bar gets in the way and won’t let it drop. I’m going to have to try and find a way of getting both sides in the air at the same time unless you found some trick to do it?

I didn’t have the roll bar attached at either end while adjusting the ride height. You need to remove the bottom bolt of the damper to release the arm and then pull it down to allow adjustment of the collar. Once I was happy with the ride height I reattached the roll bar one side at a time.

I didn’t have the roll bar attached at either end while adjusting the ride height. You need to remove the bottom bolt of the damper to release the arm and then pull it down to allow adjustment of the collar. Once I was happy with the ride height I reattached the roll bar one side at a time.
Ah, I didn’t realise you’d taken the roll bars off first. Looks like I’ll have to find a way of doing both sides at once then :(

Ok, my brain had been busy with this while I’ve been asleep.
I jack one side up, undo the ARB clamp bolts on that side, drop the van down, jack other side up and undo the clamp bolts , drop van down and then fold ARB down out of the way.

I should then be able to jack one side at a time up and drop the hub low enough to free the spring. Sound like a plan? Working today but I think I might be able to finish early enough to have a go tonight :thumbsup:

One other thought, is the front ARB going to cause me a similar problem if I want to wind them down a bit?

Replying on this thread so we dont fill up the other one with ARB chat! :laugh:

I would try and avoid any undoing of the ARB while the wheels are at differing heights as this will mean it is 'loaded up'.

You might be able to undo the rear ARB wishbone clamps while the van is parked level on the ground, then tie the ARB up loosely with some string while you are jacking up each side in turn.

The front will be much the same, undo it while both wheels are off the ground or at least level (which might be difficult because of where the drop links connect).

Thanks, I'm beginning to wish I'd never started now :( I'm not going to be able to get away from work early like I thought and I'm knackered so I'll probably leave it til Sunday now before having another go.

As the owner of a new t32 lwb kombi I went for a proper drive yesterday winding through country lanes in Cheshire and having come from a car I did notice a degree of vagueness going round corners at speed, the missus was gripping the arms of the captain's chair as we went round while making noises which indicated she thought I was going too fast.

I don't drive quickly (when you're travelling in style what's the rush) but I didn't enjoy having the sensation that without lifting off the juice I wouldn't comfortably make it round what was a relatively gentle curve at 45mph

I don't really have a huge amount of cash left so am really having to think about prioritising the changes I make, not too fussed about lowering yet as I want to do that when I can afford to put bigger wheels on simultaneously, but from what I'm reading in this thread most people find that fitting stiffer arbs would improve the handling and give more confidence that you will get round corners without having to lift off?

For info my van is unloaded other than the wife and kids!

As the owner of a new t32 lwb kombi I went for a proper drive yesterday winding through country lanes in Cheshire and having come from a car I did notice a degree of vagueness going round corners at speed, the missus was gripping the arms of the captain's chair as we went round while making noises which indicated she thought I was going too fast.

I don't drive quickly (when you're travelling in style what's the rush) but I didn't enjoy having the sensation that without lifting off the juice I wouldn't comfortably make it round what was a relatively gentle curve at 45mph

I don't really have a huge amount of cash left so am really having to think about prioritising the changes I make, not too fussed about lowering yet as I want to do that when I can afford to put bigger wheels on simultaneously, but from what I'm reading in this thread most people find that fitting stiffer arbs would improve the handling and give more confidence that you will get round corners without having to lift off?

Unless you are hugely concerned about the handling, I would suggest holding off and doing all the suspension work at once. Saves you paying two lots of labour as well as getting tracking done multiple times. Doing wheels, coilovers, and ARB's all at once saves a lot of hassle even if you have to drive the barge for a bit longer (in my opinion).

If your not fitting them yourself, I think Van Style offer free fitting. Maybe check with them. Help save the pennies. I'm definitely pro upgrade on the ARBs. Even with standard wheels and suspension, from a comfort point of view, it makes the van a much more enjoyable experience.

So everyone that say the ARB change is good can you also say which van varient you have? from my research im hearing that the T30 and T32 vans use the same ARB from VW which is only 1mm thinner than the uprated H&R ARB so you may not feel much difference.

The T28 VW bar is thinner and upgrading to the H&R ARB you probably will notice.

Is this the case on here?

So everyone that say the ARB change is good can you also say which van varient you have? from my research im hearing that the T30 and T32 vans use the same ARB from VW which is only 1mm thinner than the uprated H&R ARB so you may not feel much difference.

The T28 VW bar is thinner and upgrading to the H&R ARB you probably will notice.

I have a T32 and definitely noticed a difference. My front arb is set to the stiffest setting of that helps. Rear just has one setting.

my 2018 T6 is on Sportlines springs from new and i'm having the H&R arb's fitted tomorrow. will it need the alinement checking or does it not get effected?

It's not all about the thickness, the material makes a difference, normally after market arbs are a lot heavier than the oem ones. The other benefit is the adjustability, moving the drop link along the extra holes makes a huge difference on the loading the bar gives :)

If I had time I'd find some real numbers, it's not uncommon for after market bars to be 250% stiffer than oem

my 2018 T6 is on Sportlines springs from new and i'm having the H&R arb's fitted tomorrow. will it need the alinement checking or does it not get effected?
Makes no difference to alignment, enjoy!

Just had the H&R arbs fitted yesterday by Paul @ JPL Automotive and what a joy so far. It does feel more planted going round in corners/roundabout and so far a great improvement. My question is whats the next logical upgrade ? in terms of suspension.. Its all standard except arbs and front rear bushes (powerflex). T28 140 highline swb DSG running on Devonports.

Just had the H&R arbs fitted yesterday by Paul @ JPL Automotive and what a joy so far. It does feel more planted going round in corners/roundabout and so far a great improvement. My question is whats the next logical upgrade ? in terms of suspension.. Its all standard except arbs and front rear bushes (powerflex). T28 140 highline swb DSG running on Devonports.
depends on what you intend to use the van for, if you want to go low coilovers are the preferred option

just fitted my H&R anti roll bars this weekend and after reading all of this thread i was looking forward
to the improvement , well to any one who is undecided , Go for it the transformation for me is excellent
im fully campered and with a heavy pop top , i got a lot of corner roll and especially on roundabouts
not now it drive,s fantastic

Quick question,
I have h&r roll bars fitted and H4 headlights but am considering retrofitting oem led's, is there an issue with the roll bars?

Quick question,
I have h&r roll bars fitted and H4 headlights but am considering retrofitting oem led's, is there an issue with the roll bars?
The H&R anti roll bars that you have won't have anywhere to mount the rear level sensor for the LED headlights. On the LED compatible ARBs the bracket for the ARB bush has a plate welded onto it to accept the level sensor, it wouldn't be too difficult for a half decent fabricator to knock something up that would do the job.

The ARBs are identical, it's just the inclusion of the bracket to accept the level sensor that is different.

Back