No actual connectors on the back, so no. Unless you soldered some to the board.
Yeah, I finally managed to find some photos of buttons on eBay with the connectors, so I knew what I was looking for. Now my only problem is I don’t know which of the connectors is for the DSG paddles, since some of the buttons I’ve found don’t have all the same connectors. This set I found seem to have all the connectors but they have the TA button not the driver assist So they’re no help apart from seeing the connectors on the underside.
1704407140138.png1704407121218.jpeg

Nice.
I’m guessing the assist button still doesn’t work? :)
No, I couldn’t identify coding to make it open the menu. So it appears it’s not just an icon change under the touch panel. The signal being output must be different.

No, I couldn’t identify coding to make it open the menu. So it appears it’s not just an icon change under the touch panel. The signal being output must be different.
@nemesis03, I’m beginning to wonder if they actually make a button pad with the driver assist menu and dsg paddles and 6 pin plug - and no heating button. The 3G0959442AB that I’ve found has no plugs on the inside. So that’s more like the original one our T6.1 came with. Vw Tiguan Passat 3G B8 Multifunktion Lenkrad Tasten Schalter 3G0959442AB | eBay

I haven’t bought this 2nd new wheel yet - and never plugged the first one in since we talked about it in April.
Sorry, I forgot that we already talked about that
Our van doesn’t have lane assist, thanks to having twin “barn” rear doors instead of the tailgate - they remove the option for lane assist.
The barn doors should not be a roblem for lane assist. I guess you confuse lane assist (lane departure warning, lane centering) with side assist (lane change assist). I guess the barn doors do not have the lane changing assist. The lane assist use the front camera (control unit A5). But if you don't have a front camera, you cannot use lane assist (you would have a camera if you have traffic sign detection)
Now my only problem is I don’t know which of the connectors is for the DSG paddles, since some of the buttons I’ve found don’t have all the same connectors.
The connectors for the DSG paddles are the small two pin connectors that are present on both sides

@nemesis03, I’m beginning to wonder if they actually make a button pad with the driver assist menu and dsg paddles and 6 pin plug - and no heating button. The 3G0959442AB that I’ve found has no plugs on the inside. So that’s more like the original one our T6.1 came with. Vw Tiguan Passat 3G B8 Multifunktion Lenkrad Tasten Schalter 3G0959442AB | eBay
My list tells me that the button pads with the following part number might be correct (no guarantee): 3G0959442Q (search for it on ebay)
But if you forget about the assist menu button (that you do not really need) there are more options

Sorry, I forgot that we already talked about that

The barn doors should not be a roblem for lane assist. I guess you confuse lane assist (lane departure warning, lane centering) with side assist (lane change assist). I guess the barn doors do not have the lane changing assist. The lane assist use the front camera (control unit A5). But if you don't have a front camera, you cannot use lane assist (you would have a camera if you have traffic sign detection)

The connectors for the DSG paddles are the small two pin connectors that are present on both sides

My list tells me that the button pads with the following part number might be correct (no guarantee): 3G0959442Q (search for it on ebay)
But if you forget about the assist menu button (that you do not really need) there are more options
Lol
I can’t believe you forgot a conversation ~8 months ago!
3G0959442Q Is definitely the closest match - except they have the heater button on the right side.
Is it possible to just swap the button pad on one side if I bought the Q version?
I didn’t realise lane assist was something different to side assist. Thanks for explaining that. We do have ACC so I guess we do have / can have lane assist. What a shame the user manual is less use than an internet forum.
I just bought another wheel with the TA button and 6 pin plug. I reallly hope this one just works!
I might still swap the left buttons with a Q type as above if everything else works out ok.

So this set of “Q” type buttons would be ideal if I can just swap the left side but I can’t tell if the ribbon cable between the two sides can be unplugged.
Anyone know what the missing white plug on the inside is for - where there is a space for a white plug but no plug is in that space.

Is it possible to just swap the button pad on one side if I bought the Q version?
I am not sure, I think it is some kind of plug. I have to take a look at my spare one. And that it physically works does not necessarily mean, the the logic works. But I would think the chances for success are quite high.
Why are you so interested in the assist menu button?
We do have ACC so I guess we do have / can have lane assist.
No, ACC uses the radar sensor, traffic sign detection and lane assist use the front camera.
Anyone know what the missing white plug on the inside is for - where there is a space for a white plug but no plug is in that space.
The missing white plug is to connect the control unit for the hands on detection. The Q version does not have hands on detection (if I remember correctly there is no version with hands on detection and assist menu button)

I am not sure, I think it is some kind of plug. I have to take a look at my spare one. And that it physically works does not necessarily mean, the the logic works. But I would think the chances for success are quite high.
Why are you so interested in the assist menu button?

No, ACC uses the radar sensor, traffic sign detection and lane assist use the front camera.

The missing white plug is to connect the control unit for the hands on detection. The Q version does not have hands on detection (if I remember correctly there is no version with hands on detection and assist menu button)
I guess my only interest in the assist menu is so all the buttons work? In case some vw service workshop tries to tell me my wheel is faulty? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can’t remember now if we have traffic sign detection- I don’t think we do.
The wheel I bought is the BP version with HOD. I just have to wait and see if it works!
Thanks for all your help.

Hey, if you do have time and can be bothered to check your spare buttons to see if they can be separated without damaging them, that would be brilliant. It’ll be a couple of weeks before I get our new wheel but if it works then I’ll be tempted to swap the left buttons so it looks and works just like the original one - with bonus DSG paddles. :)

I have just remebered the thread and found my spare buttons. The are easy to open, just a couple of clips on the sides that can be carfully bend with a small screwdriver.
20240123_072043.jpg

The red connectors can be pulled out. So it ist physically quite simple to combine different left and right keypads. That does not necessarily mean that they will work together.
You may try swap you right keypad (with the button for heating) for another right keypad (without the button for heating), as long as the new keypad also has the white two pin connector for connection the right paddle (alternatively you an just change the front case). Then you won't have the additional button for heating on the right keypad.
I don't think that you can swap the left buttons, because then you will be again missing the connectors for the paddles and HOD. You can of course swap the case with the buttons of the left keypad. Then you have the assistant menu button on your keypad, but unfortunately the keypad does not know that and thinks that you are pressing the travel assist button and does not know what to do. So instead of having a non funktioning travel assist button you will have a non functioning assist menu button.

I have just remebered the thread and found my spare buttons. The are easy to open, just a couple of clips on the sides that can be carfully bend with a small screwdriver.
View attachment 226616

The red connectors can be pulled out. So it ist physically quite simple to combine different left and right keypads. That does not necessarily mean that they will work together.
You may try swap you right keypad (with the button for heating) for another right keypad (without the button for heating), as long as the new keypad also has the white two pin connector for connection the right paddle (alternatively you an just change the front case). Then you won't have the additional button for heating on the right keypad.
I don't think that you can swap the left buttons, because then you will be again missing the connectors for the paddles and HOD. You can of course swap the case with the buttons of the left keypad. Then you have the assistant menu button on your keypad, but unfortunately the keypad does not know that and thinks that you are pressing the travel assist button and does not know what to do. So instead of having a non funktioning travel assist button you will have a non functioning assist menu button.
Thanks heaps for that. The wheel I bought is still saying it’s in Poland. It hasn’t changed status since Jan 11th.
Assuming that the new wheel arrives and all the buttons and DSG paddles work, then I *might* buy another button set that has the correct 6 pin plug, DSG paddles, travel assist, and heating buttons - then just swap the left side buttons. I guess I’ll have to think about how much i care about that assist button that doesn’t work, since I never use it anyway. At this stage I just want to see the dsg paddles work!!! The new wheel has almost been stuck in transit long enough for me to ask Ebay to chase it up.

Can someone give me tips or point me at the appropriate video / instructions for removing the black trim around the lower loop of the steering wheel?
Like everything in these new vehicles, I'm worried about damaging parts while I try to unclip them.

I am not sure which part you mean. Why do you want to remove the black trim around the lower loop of the steering wheel?
For changing the keypads, you have to remove the keypads together with the silver element that runs around the theypads and the steering wheel, this has do be one carefully, I used the VW set T10383. Then you can unscrew the keypads from the silver element using a torx screwdriver with a size of 9. There are som fotos in my thread in the german forum.

The black trim I need to remove is the trim below the horn / airbag, inside the silver trim that you're describing.
This trim is missing from both the replacement steering wheels I've bought. I couldn't see how to remove it from my old wheel when I looked last year.

1706080075513.jpeg

Unfortunately I did not make any pictures of the lower side of the back after disassembling the trim. I think you first need to take off the silver trim, before you can remove the black trim. The VW intructions show that there are latches on the bottom side of the black trim.

Have done this mod thanks to excellent instructions and how to on here. Turned off heated wheel button illumination, but does anyone know what coding is needed to turn off this button illumination on the wheel?

@Pauly
@MK2Golf24v

Screenshot_20240318_094549_Chrome.jpg

Have done this mod thanks to excellent instructions and how to on here. Turned off heated wheel button illumination, but does anyone know what coding is needed to turn off this button illumination on the wheel?

@Pauly
@MK2Golf24v
I can't recall exactly, but i'm pretty sure its done via adaptation in the CAN, turn off anything to do with Travel assist.

Note down the MFSW button Module coding before you do it, and after, and you'll likely see the coding change.

I've been unable to get that button to operate the driver assist menu, so you'll need to access that via the dash MFD

Unfortunately I did not make any pictures of the lower side of the back after disassembling the trim. I think you first need to take off the silver trim, before you can remove the black trim. The VW intructions show that there are latches on the bottom side of the black trim.
With the airbag removed, it just slides up a bit then can be popped out towards you.

Back