@nemesis03 am I correct in understanding that “Taste LH” is the heater button, which I don’t have and don’t want.
So as I understand it, if your table is correct () then I would need the 3G0959442AB keypad, which is the one at the top of your list of keypads.
This is assuming I understand the difference between AM and TA, and I have the Assist Menu button, not the Travel Assist button. (As per my original wheel photo)
(EDIT) AND that I’m correct that your “Connector SW” column means it has the tiptronic connections that I want/need to make this wheel worth buying!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

IMG_9988.jpeg

I found a picture of a white 5 pin plug in a russian forum: Установка сенсорных кнопок мультируля для платформы MQB
I think that might be the correct plug for your new steering wheel. But it does not solve the problem of where to get this plug.
EDIT: maybe that is not the original plug but a different plug that is connected to the wire and compatible to the pins.
Wow. I wish I could understand more of that guy’s post.
Do you speak / read Russian??
That looks like he even tried 3D printing a replacement plug.
(EDIT) Then it looks like he’s actually converted his 6 pin button pad to work with 5 pins - kind of the opposite of what I want. :-\
Damn this is all crazy messy just because of one dumb plug.

@nemesis03 am I correct in understanding that “Taste LH” is the heater button, which I don’t have and don’t want.
So as I understand it, if your table is correct () then I would need the 3G0959442AB keypad, which is the one at the top of your list of keypads.
This is assuming I understand the difference between AM and TA, and I have the Assist Menu button, not the Travel Assist button. (As per my original wheel photo)
(EDIT) AND that I’m correct that your “Connector SW” column means it has the tiptronic connections that I want/need to make this wheel worth buying!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

yes, "Taste LH" means "heater button", "Connector SW" means connector for tipgronic

My OBDeleven tells me that my original keypad is a 3G0959442AB (it is a subsystem of the gateway). I googled that part number and found pictures of this keypad which does have connectors for tiptronic (e.g.
So I thought that the 3G0959442AB has the connectors for tiptronic (although my old steering wheel does not have paddles). Now I took a picture of the inside of the old steering wheel:
20230512_083837.jpg
In that picture I cannot see the white connector for tiptronic. So either my keypad is not 3G0959442AB or the linked spare parts has an incorrect label or VW is producing this part number with and without the connector for tiptronic. That is a little bit confusing.

Wow. I wish I could understand more of that guy’s post.
Do you speak / read Russian??
No, I used google translate

Damn this is all crazy messy just because of one dumb plug.
If you have some time, I would buy the airbag wiring loom and check whether it fits the keypad and wheter the pins from the airbag fit the plug. The airbag wiring loom should be much cheaper than a new sets of keypads and you do not have to take your steering wheel apart (and risking damaging the steering wheel or the silver frame). If that is working it would be wonderfult to have pictures of the plug, maybe there are some markings that we can use to find the manufacturer of that plug. On the other hand it might be a dead end if the plug does not fit the keypad or the pins from the airbag.
Maybe you can find a supplier where you can return the part, if it does not fit.

yes, "Taste LH" means "heater button", "Connector SW" means connector for tipgronic

My OBDeleven tells me that my original keypad is a 3G0959442AB (it is a subsystem of the gateway). I googled that part number and found pictures of this keypad which does have connectors for tiptronic (e.g.
So I thought that the 3G0959442AB has the connectors for tiptronic (although my old steering wheel does not have paddles). Now I took a picture of the inside of the old steering wheel:
View attachment 198734
In that picture I cannot see the white connector for tiptronic. So either my keypad is not 3G0959442AB or the linked spare parts has an incorrect label or VW is producing this part number with and without the connector for tiptronic. That is a little bit confusing.

No, I used google translate

If you have some time, I would buy the airbag wiring loom and check whether it fits the keypad and wheter the pins from the airbag fit the plug. The airbag wiring loom should be much cheaper than a new sets of keypads and you do not have to take your steering wheel apart (and risking damaging the steering wheel or the silver frame). If that is working it would be wonderfult to have pictures of the plug, maybe there are some markings that we can use to find the manufacturer of that plug. On the other hand it might be a dead end if the plug does not fit the keypad or the pins from the airbag.
Maybe you can find a supplier where you can return the part, if it does not fit.
Thanks for the tips. We’re going away for a while so I’ll look when we’re back.

Hi @Pauly I'm wondering whether an MFSW could be retrofitted in a 2020 6.1 factory equipped with absolutely dumb plastic steering wheel. I miss the media controls and as the car has front assist (it's just indicating how far the car in front is) I wonder if ACC (adaptive cruise control) could be coed in as well? Head unit is also the dumbest, smallest screen one which has the CAR button on it to set select car functions which makes it complicated to retrofit anything else - I don't know whether this is related though.

I've found same steering wheel but no airbag. Can you tell me part number for airbag assembly dont want to get the wrong one.

Has anyone got the long coding for this wheel?
ACC works as it should but I can’t select Speed Limiter and also the assist’s button on the wheel doesn’t function.

Speak to MP vag solutions in Luton, to bloke for this kind of thing. He coded and fitted my golf r mk8 wheel in 30 mins

Does anyone have a view as to how to fit a MFSW to a startline T6.1 2020 DSG? It has cruise on the stalk already.

Yes it does
Hey Pauly,
Sorry to drag out this thread again. I’m still trying to find a MFSW with DSG paddles that will work on my T6.1.
As noted above, II bought a wheel April that looked the samen but it had the white five pin plug into the button pad.
I am still investigating the option of just getting a different wiring loom so I can use this second wheel that I already have but it seems easier to just buy a wheel that works with the wiring in our existing wheel / airbag.
I have found another wheel now that looks the same except it has the Travel Assist button instead of the driver assist button. Otherwise it has the same air bag fittings as our existing wheel I my understanding is that I won’t have to change any wiring. It has the heating and hands on detection but I don’t care about them so I would just ignore those functions, as long as the existing functions and the dsg paddles still work. I simply want to add dsg paddles to the original wheel.
As I understand your guide, you only had to change the wiring because you used the Golf airbag, because it has different mounts. If our existing airbag fits and the new wheel has the same black six pin plug, then it SHOULD just work, yeah?
As far as I can tell, our existing wheel is the same as your original one. So the one I’m looking to buy is the same part number as our oringal one, except with /t/H/HOD on the end.
And your travel assist button works just like the driver assist, just with a different label on the front, yeah?
If I hadn’t already bought one wheel, I’d just buy this one and try it but I really don’t want a collection of useless steering wheels. :)
Thanks heaps for your help!
1704358405265.jpeg

Hi DMcCook,
I bought a 3G0419089CR (M/T/H/HOD) for my T6.1, but it had the 5 pin plug, so I switched the key pad to part number 3G0959442S (with 6 pin plug), before I could fit it in the car.
If your airbag has a 6 pin plug and the key pad of the steering wheel has a 6 pin plug paddles should work plug and play.
The TA button does not work (nothing happens). This does not bother me, because I do not regularly access the assistant menu while driving. And if I have to I can navigate to the assistant menu with the left/right buttons.
I have done some documentation in the gernan forum: Bericht Umbau auf Lenkrad mit Schaltwippen und kapazitiver Berührungserkennung

If you use lane assistant with intervention early, you should try out hands on detection, because you don't have to move the steering wheel every few seconds but can just rest one hand on the steering wheel and the car will stop complaining. That makes driving on the highway a lot more fun. You will have to activate hands on detection in the coding:
  • control unit "19 Gateway", long coding "Sollverbau_KLR" to installed (Byte 01, bit 3 active), after that you can delete the error "additional installation detected" in the gateway
  • control unit „A5 Driver Assistance“, long coding „Klr“ to „coded“ (Byte 05, Bit 2 active)
If you have the new steering wheel installed, I would like to know the part number of the key pad. The part number can be found in OBDeleven as a subsystem of the gateway. The name of the subsystem should be something like "E221__MFL-PR6" and info should show the hardware number.

Hi DMcCook,
I bought a 3G0419089CR (M/T/H/HOD) for my T6.1, but it had the 5 pin plug, so I switched the key pad to part number 3G0959442S (with 6 pin plug), before I could fit it in the car.
If your airbag has a 6 pin plug and the key pad of the steering wheel has a 6 pin plug paddles should work plug and play.
The TA button does not work (nothing happens). This does not bother me, because I do not regularly access the assistant menu while driving. And if I have to I can navigate to the assistant menu with the left/right buttons.
I have done some documentation in the gernan forum: Bericht Umbau auf Lenkrad mit Schaltwippen und kapazitiver Berührungserkennung

If you use lane assistant with intervention early, you should try out hands on detection, because you don't have to move the steering wheel every few seconds but can just rest one hand on the steering wheel and the car will stop complaining. That makes driving on the highway a lot more fun. You will have to activate hands on detection in the coding:
  • control unit "19 Gateway", long coding "Sollverbau_KLR" to installed (Byte 01, bit 3 active), after that you can delete the error "additional installation detected" in the gateway
  • control unit „A5 Driver Assistance“, long coding „Klr“ to „coded“ (Byte 05, Bit 2 active)
If you have the new steering wheel installed, I would like to know the part number of the key pad. The part number can be found in OBDeleven as a subsystem of the gateway. The name of the subsystem should be something like "E221__MFL-PR6" and info should show the hardware number.
Hi Nemisis,
Thanks for your quick reply. :)
I’m curious that you don’t think the TA button will work, since Pauly said his button did work - in the earlier post that I replied to above.
Our van doesn’t have lane assist, thanks to having twin “barn” rear doors instead of the tailgate - they remove the option for lane assist.
I haven’t bought this 2nd new wheel yet - and never plugged the first one in since we talked about it in April. If I get one that I can plug in I will definitely let you know the part numbers I find.
I’m very close to buying yet another wheel, but still hoping Pauly can confirm my questions above.

Hi DMcCook,

Hey Nemesis,
can you tell if these buttons have the connection for the DSG paddles?

I fitted my wheel quite soon into ownership and without many miles on the clock so if im honest i not 100% what menu that button took me into before i swapped the wheel, when originally asked i just thought yes the button works and takes me into a/the menu, retrospectively that was a bit of a throwaway comment and i guess it behaves the same as everyone elses like @MK2Golf24v button does
Apologies if i have mislead anyone with this :(

I fitted my wheel quite soon into ownership and without many miles on the clock so if im honest i not 100% what menu that button took me into before i swapped the wheel, when originally asked i just thought yes the button works and takes me into a/the menu, retrospectively that was a bit of a throwaway comment and i guess it behaves the same as everyone elses like @MK2Golf24v button does
Apologies if i have mislead anyone with this :(
LOL.
Evil Pauly!
I don’t think I’ve ever used that button myself. I only tried it today because I’m looking at buying one with the Travel Assist button instead of Driver Assist, just because that’s all I can find. Frankly that seems like they had a spare button and someone had to choose a function for it. I’ll probably keep my original wheel in case it matters one day.
I even wondered if the buttons can be picked off like computer keyboard keys, so it could be swapped.

Hey Nemesis,
can you tell if these buttons have the connection for the DSG paddles?
No actual connectors on the back, so no. Unless you soldered some to the board.

LOL.
Evil Pauly!
I don’t think I’ve ever used that button myself. I only tried it today because I’m looking at buying one with the Travel Assist button instead of Driver Assist, just because that’s all I can find. Frankly that seems like they had a spare button and someone had to choose a function for it. I’ll probably keep my original wheel in case it matters one day.
I even wondered if the buttons can be picked off like computer keyboard keys, so it could be swapped.
I’ve not got round to fitting the RevA buttons to see if that’s all it takes.

I have since swapped the wheel for a red stitch with big paddles though, looks much better.

IMG_6873.jpeg

Back