Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
Now i have my new 6.1 I really miss the sunglasses holder that my T6 had (why did VW take it away !!)
I know theres a couple threads about part numbers and options for adding one but the info is partial/scattered so heres my guide to adding OEM parts with metal mounting bracket etc

Im not going to cover removal of the cabin headlining here as thats discussed elsewhere and i have plans for a new updated T6.1 liner removal coming soon so we are going to start with a parts list and method

I fitted the sunglasses holder but the method and parts are identical for fitting an additional grab handle

7E1 857 465A Y20 - Spectacle holder
7E5 858 688 - Mounting bracket
N 911 995 01 - Pop rivets for mounting bracket (4 required)

Couple things to note in the pictures, i have the optional full airbag system so thats what those weird white things are, i was doing other jobs during at the same time as this so have some non standard wiring that your van wont have and was also adding sound deadening/insulation so thats why the roof has magically turned into tin foil !

Heres a couple pics of the factory fitted left hand side bracket

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

in comparison to the empty right hand side

IMG_4796.JPG

note all the holes are present for the four mounting points so just need to rivet the plate in place

IMG_4797.JPG

its worth noting the rivets are 6mm so a standard pop gun like this is no good as only goes to 4mm or 4.8mm which is not quite enough

IMG_4799.JPG

had a quick scan and found this one at screwfix for £19 and goes one size bigger to 6.4mm

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

next up was the headliner, to mark it out i used a piece of paper behind the factory cut holes and marked with a pencil then cutout to give me a template

IMG_4803.JPG

and used this paper template to mark out the rear of the drivers side

IMG_4804.JPG

then i simply used a stanley knife with a fresh blade to trim it out

IMG_4812.JPG

got the roof lining refitted and this is what it looked like

IMG_4837.JPG

this is the factory side for comparison

IMG_4834.JPG

and last step is to fit the unit with a T25 torx

IMG_4883.JPG

IMG_4884.JPG

now we can stand back and admire our handywork

IMG_4887.JPG

A couple of comments to note

The sunglasses holder comes with fixings screws in place so nothing else is required but i did notice the screws are different for the glasses case vs the grab handle

IMG_4881.JPG

If you are doing the grab handle instead then the part number is 7LA 857 607 Y20

I have never bought one so cant say if the screws are included with this also but if they are not then the screw part number is N 107 445 01

I compared the two side by side and the size and footprint are identical so everything else is the same

Just for reference I purchased a sunglasses holder from Ali Express. Same design and colours available for about £10 inc shipping.

The sunglasses holder comes with fixings screws in place so nothing else is required but i did notice the screws are different for the glasses case vs the grab handle

View attachment 170346

If you are doing the grab handle instead then the part number is 7LA 857 607 Y20

I have never bought one so cant say if the screws are included with this also but if they are not then the screw part number is N 107 445 01

I compared the two side by side and the size and footprint are identical so everything else is the same
Fantastic write up, definitely a worthy addition

View attachment 170346

Hi Pauly
I am just about to do the same thing on my T6.1 i purchased the bracket to fix the sunglasses case to then noticed that the sunglasses case seems to have a different method of fixing to the bracket ie no fixing screws came with the case.I have attached a photo which hopefully will clarify the situation but basically was just wandering if you could offer any advice regarding fitment of the case.

Cheers

Mike

E9D89534-E8F3-4232-B776-906FBD25F083 copy.jpg

Not seen one like that before, all the part numbers are listed in the thread so guessing yours is for a different model ?

Back