Sunglass holder retrofit

Rob63

Hi all
So I bought the sunglasses holder from a reputable uk based VW enthusiasts outlet, and proceeded to install said sunglasses holder, that apparently takes just 5 minutes to fit. I discovered that there’s a steel fitting/bracket right behind the headlining recess, which I wasn’t expecting. The van’s a 68 plate T6 highline and can only assume that this steel structure is fitted ready to retrofit a grab handle.
Is this steel structure standard on all T6’s or is my VIN on the cusp of the T6.1/some other physical change? Any suggestions on how to proceed without pulling the headlining down?
I could just drill and fit self tappers, but I can just about feel some drilled holes in the plate, unfortunately nowhere near where I want them.
Thanks in advance.

It’s standard and the bolts that should have come with the sun glasses holder should fit the threaded holes in the brackets behind the roof trim.

My one from kiravans only came with 2 self tapping screws but they do the job perfectly. No metal bracket behind the headliner on my t6.1

It’s standard and the bolts that should have come with the sun glasses holder should fit the threaded holes in the brackets behind the roof trim.
Just came with quite long ST screws, not machine screws or bolts as you mention. Looks like there’s some variations in between vans then. Think the linings going to have to partly come down.

Interestingly enough, I was talking to a conversion company about this exact same thing yesterday. They told me that it all comes down to your original build sheet (apologies if this is obvious)...as some vans come with the bracket, others don't. To prove the point, they actually sent me two pictures from their workshop with 2 vans, with & without.

1667956883448.png 1667956915795.png

Interestingly enough, I was talking to a conversion company about this exact same thing yesterday. They told me that it all comes down to your original build sheet (apologies if this is obvious)...as some vans come with the bracket, others don't. To prove the point, they actually sent me two pictures from their workshop with 2 vans, with & without.

View attachment 178595 View attachment 178596
Great stuff. Many thanks for sharing. Don’t suppose anyone knows what thread size they are?

Part numbers for various parts are in here

Is it easy enough to locate the holes if there is the bracket, and what size bolts should be used if so?

@Pauly would you be able to identify whether the bracket is included if I DM you the VIN number please?

I dont think any 6.1 gets the bracket

All the part numbers are listed in the link above your post to the guide thread i made

I dont think any 6.1 gets the bracket

All the part numbers are listed in the link above your post to the guide thread i made
Thanks @Pauly. Mine's a T6 Highline Kombi. Looking at YouTube videos I think I'd be happy just to screw into the headliner with the screws supplied. However, I'm mindful that I may find the screw is impeded by the bracket. However, if the bracket is already in situ I'd prefer to use that.

Thanks @Pauly. Mine's a T6 Highline Kombi. Looking at YouTube videos I think I'd be happy just to screw into the headliner with the screws supplied. However, I'm mindful that I may find the screw is impeded by the bracket. However, if the bracket is already in situ I'd prefer to use that.
My van had the bracket behind the headlining and the self tapper screws that came with my glasses holder from Travelin-Lite worked fine. I don’t think the holes are threaded anyhow.

I removed the grab handle from the passenger side and made a cardboard template to ensure I knew where the holes were. Worked perfectly.
D8709552-1E72-40BF-86F3-631A12F955EB.jpeg

Thanks all.
It all fitted fine in the end. The OEM bracket was already fitted but with no grab handle. To find the holes, I used a pin, pushed through the liner in the area I thought the holes would be, to find them. The rest took seconds and I’ve not thought about it since.

Thanks all.
It all fitted fine in the end. The OEM bracket was already fitted but with no grab handle. To find the holes, I used a pin, pushed through the liner in the area I thought the holes would be, to find them. The rest took seconds and I’ve not thought about it since.
That's reassuring @Rob63. Did you still just use the screws supplied?

Pedro20001 .......About to install on my new T6.1 which does not have a backing plate. Does yours fit secdurely with just the 2 self tapers on just the headlining?
Thanks ...cheers.

Back