[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Hmmm, I don’t remember if I got a lead with my River 2 Pro. I’ll have to have a look. Edit: I've had a look and can't find one and they're not listed as included with the River 2 Pro. Maybe @Dellmassive knows if the lead should come with the solar panel because he seems to have the entire catalogue from EcoFlow?
You are correct, the New river 2 pro doesn’t come with a solar lead, and according to the EF uk website, our 160 solar panel should of come with the lead, I guess we need to contact EF, from all reports EFseem like a very good company to deal with

Hmmm, I don’t remember if I got a lead with my river 2 pro. I’ll have to have a look?
You are correct, the New river 2 pro doesn’t come with a solar lead, and according to the EF uk website, our 160 solar panel should of come with the lead, I guess we need to contact EF, from all reports EFseem like a very good company to deal with
I've emailed their customer support already. Not expecting to hear back until Monday earliest. Hoping they put a lead in the post with an apology and sort out their website.

I've emailed their customer support already. Not expecting to hear back until Monday earliest. Hoping they put a lead in the post with an apology and sort out their website.
I've had a response from customer support already saying:

Dear David.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused, we have confirmed that we have indeed missed the cable and that it is not a separate purchase as stated in the user manul.

We have arranged the shipment of an XT60 cable to you. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any other questions, please feel free to contact us. Have a nice day!

Grace
EcoFlow Customer Service Team
EcoFlow EU
T: +49 800 0002566 (9:00-17:00 CET, Monday-Friday)

Great work EcoFlow customer support!! :thumbsup:

I've had a response from customer support already saying:

Dear David.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused, we have confirmed that we have indeed missed the cable and that it is not a separate purchase as stated in the user manul.

We have arranged the shipment of an XT60 cable to you. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any other questions, please feel free to contact us. Have a nice day!

Grace
EcoFlow Customer Service Team
EcoFlow EU
T: +49 800 0002566 (9:00-17:00 CET, Monday-Friday)

Great work EcoFlow customer support!! :thumbsup:
Excellent, I’ll ping them an email tomorrow,

Thanks for that info Lee. I will have a measure up later but will probably go with the 30 if it fits.
Things have evolved, as they do reading this forum. My bank account has depleted, as they do reading this forum. :) I've purchased the 100/30 victron MPPT, but also decided to get the Renogy 200W rigid panel to drop beneath my roof bars, stealth style as I go to a lot of highly populated music festivals and I don't want my Renogy 200w suitcase that's sat on the grass to go for a wander. So the roof panel will be a permanent fixture charging the 160ah Roamer battery. Now I still have the Renogy 200w Suitcase that I would like to get out at some more trustworthy campsites/meets for some additional power. Is it possible to connect up, either in series or parallel to the MPPT on the odd occasion?

Things have evolved, as they do reading this forum. My bank account has depleted, as they do reading this forum. :) I've purchased the 100/30 victron MPPT, but also decided to get the Renogy 200W rigid panel to drop beneath my roof bars, stealth style as I go to a lot of highly populated music festivals and I don't want my Renogy 200w suitcase that's sat on the grass to go for a wander. So the roof panel will be a permanent fixture charging the 160ah Roamer battery. Now I still have the Renogy 200w Suitcase that I would like to get out at some more trustworthy campsites/meets for some additional power. Is it possible to connect up, either in series or parallel to the MPPT on the odd occasion?

Speaking of Solar Suitcase vulnerability, ours has the sprung metal flightcase style handles on the side, riveted on, and I use a beefy chain bike lock to secure to my van's front tow bar. Yes it is technically possible to rotate the towing eye but with the bike chain, you would have to rotate the suitcase too, which I would hope causes a few interested campers next to mine to ask what they thief was doing.

We have a similar risk at some of the events we do with our unbraked box trailer where it has to be parked away from the event field and not locked to a vehicle.

For extra security I have a beefy ground anchor similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Q7G14Z7/ that gets wound into the ground under the draw bar and then a big bike dlock over it through the ground anchor. Not foolproof but with a wheel lock should slow someone down and attract attention.

I also have a reinforced wooden strong box with a hole that I can drop over the anchor and lock down for protecting the camera gear onsite.

They are surprisingly effective so long as you can arrange a way they can't be turned easily - one each end of an array maybe.

Anyone got one of these? What do peoples think?Only a few reviews atm. :cool:

I quite like that as a concept but there are a couple of bits about the actual execution that don't seem ideal.

I'd prefer it if the box of connections (and I assume regulators) was a separate item. For one I'd worry about weather protection outside and for two I don't know what the "12v" output is and if this is true 12v, some approximation of a lead acid charging voltage or the raw panel voltage. The talk about modern vehicles having "one way" sockets also doesn't add much confidence, if they are trying to cover themselves around modern stop start systems then in the video of them using the croc clip connection they are placing the negative at the wrong point...

Fundamentally I like the idea, but for me I'd prefer to connect raw panel output to the input of my power pack which is MPPT capable. Don't mind having the box of tricks as a useful option to just charge USB, but I'd rather not connect direct to vehicle electrics without more detail of quite what is being put out on that connection.

Having read so many posts and threads, I am now totally confused. In summary, I would like to use solar to charge or top up my ecoflow river pro.

Will the renogy 100w suitcase portable solar panel be enough or do I need a one with more Watts. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks everyone.

Having read so many posts and threads, I am now totally confused. In summary, I would like to use solar to charge or top up my ecoflow river pro.

Will the renogy 100w suitcase portable solar panel be enough or do I need a one with more Watts. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks everyone.
Yes, that will work. As for whether or not it has a high enough capacity, that all depends upon what your demand on the battery is likely to be, where you are parking, weather conditions etc. However, Renogy seem to have a good reputation for efficiency and the suitcase style with built-in controller is an easy to use option. It might be worth considering extension cable to allow more flexibility for positioning the panels.

Yes, that will work. As for whether or not it has a high enough capacity, that all depends upon what your demand on the battery is likely to be, where you are parking, weather conditions etc. However, Renogy seem to have a good reputation for efficiency and the suitcase style with built-in controller is an easy to use option. It might be worth considering extension cable to allow more flexibility for positioning the panels.
We are off to France and will be on EHU, so the ecoflow will be used to charge phones, laptops and used to power our compressor fridge.

I may be missing something but if you are on EHU, why are you using the Ecoflow?

And if you have it plumbed in, why not charge it from the mains?

I may be missing something but if you are on EHU, why are you using the Ecoflow?

And if you have it plumbed in, why not charge it from the mains?
Very valid. I am just trying to limit the amount of amp usage while on EHU, so the ecoflow will be used to give us flexibility and when we are off site on day trips to give us some power options.

we had such a great time at CamperJam this weekend that i literally forgot to take loads of pics of the power setup, as i normally would do.

1689165350827.png

so ill see if i can put something together hear as a few people have asked what setup i run for the weekener (thurs-sun) . .

++++

we this week i based it all around a Ecoflow Delta 2 ; https://amzn.to/3XQa6Gr

this has a 1500w inverter, 12v and USB outlets and a capacity of 1024wh.

1689165437271.png

i used the EHU leads plugged into this then run them out to the fridges and lights etc etc.

1689165611686.png

+++++++++++++++++++

to feed into the Delta 2 i took my Roamer 230 battery box. . . . which has a Victron 100/20 solar mppt squished inside.

see more on that here >> 4173Wh (330Ah) Lithium Battery Box -- How I Done It --

1689165651808.png

+++++++

we also took four 100w flexible solar panels. . . that i put on the roof, and held them there with Neodymium magnet hooks. .

the solar panels also had some mag stip on the rear . . .

1689165959566.png

example two out of four below . . . .

1689165975157.png

i used MC4 extension cables to link the panels to the MPPT controller . . . which was in the battery box, in the van. . .

1689166057580.png

the mppt was connected to the roamer battery via fused SB50 Anderson connectors.

1689166229609.png

and finally the roamer battery was connected to the EF Delta 2 via a fused SB50 Anderson to XT60 link cable.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

so this is how it worked.

400w panels

to victron mppt

to charge the roamer 230ah storage battery, ( up to 20A/400w)(3000wh capacity)

to then slow charge the Delta 2 (100w slow charge ) (1024wh capacity)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the system worked well, we never run out of power.

why not just connect the solar to the Delta 2?

well there is a chance the delta2 would be fully charged by 11am . . . and will a low load draw the rest of the solar for the day would be waisted, .. . .

untill the following morning, when the fridges had drained the Delta 2 back down again. .

there is also a chance that there could be cloud or rain . . . meaning no solar.

so what we done was to use the Roamer SB230 as a storage battery that has three times the storage capacity of the delta,

this battery allows the Delta to slow charge (100w) 24/7 even through the night.

but allow full use of a full days sunlight by charging the storage battery.

++++++++

the main drawback with all of the mobile power packs is the recharge time (off grid)

you could be in a situation where you are draining power faster than you are recharging (over a 24hr period) - net effect a flat battery.

this is due to the 12v input limited to 8A / 100W to stop the 12v plugs melting.

sure you can give them more solar panels, but ultimately, you either to a fast charge from the mains. . . . ie 600-1500w 240v fast charge

or use a storage battery as a buffer.

so far it seams that you could be fully self sufficient with 200w-400w solar and a 100ah lithium + your portable power pack of choice . . . ( depending on you loads and assuming its summer )

If you have 4 x 100w panels @Dellmassive have you thought about splitting them between the Ecoflow and the storage battery?

You are going to get some losses in the DC-DC charging between Storage -> Ecoflow and I'm wondering if you've ever measured roughly what that might be?

I guess the win of your approach is simplicity, you are going to get some loss but it's largely set up, forget, enjoy yourself.

If you have 4 x 100w panels @Dellmassive have you thought about splitting them between the Ecoflow and the storage battery?
- no, because the Delta2 has only ONE input for solar or 12v car feed. ( so its either or on the delta 2 )

you cant have both.

( there are some slight losses, 1st solar MPPT to DC, then a second dc-dc MPPT in the delta2) ( not measured the losses, but assuming they are minimal)

but as you say its plug and play - fit and forget

delta 2 spec below.

1689169201389.png

1689169270594.png

1689169297189.png

or

1689169308138.png

also you can get a much higher voc voltage from 4x panels in series. ( than in parallel, or two 200w series chains)

so you start charging earlier and run later.,

assuming no shading, its preferable to run you panels in serier.

++++

its always the VOC input limit of your MPPT that's the limiting factor.
that's why i love the Victron gear,

75v voc on the base unit,

i was using the 100/20, so 100v voc with a 20A charge limit.

there awesome solar mppt controllers.

Ah I was assuming the bigger packs had both dedicated MPPT inputs and 12v rather than a single combined one. And yes good point about the voltage on the solar string, that's going to be higher on a dedicated charge controller.

For buck/boost converters at lower power that I'm used to (RC models etc) I'd normally guess at about 5% loss but I was intrigued and went for a quick look. Generally the losses mount under higher current or bigger voltage step up difference. CTEK don't publish figures but Victron do for the Orion. Looks like a reasonable estimate for the loss would be around 10%? I'd rate that as enough to be aware of but not enough to worry about.

Back