[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

I've not had any issues.. with them.

I like them as the lock together.

Are designed for purpose.

And are waterproof...

But.... you need the tool to get them appart...... that where most people get issues with the MC4 conections.

I've not had any issues.. with them.

I like them as the lock together.

Are designed for purpose.

And are waterproof...

But.... you need the tool to get them appart...... that where most people get issues with the MC4 conections.
Oh I see...that's probably why I struggled...

20210730_151547.jpg

I was going to basically add the Anderson block on the bare cables above...

I'll look into the tools need for the MC4 connection... Would the Anderson block do as a temporary or not advised?

Is there any issue with sticking the Anderson connector on the end of these?

No issue physically... you can fit an anderson onto those solar mc4 cables..

But ... conections should be foolproof. Not just for you after a few beers at a campsite.... but also for anyone else, who might not know what they are doing, and just randomly plugging things in.

Ie solar side = use mc4.

Power side = use andersons.

That way there is no possibility that someone could plug something in incorrectly... which is a fire risk, so a Saftey concern IMO.

Keep the correct connections and your giid to go.

Oh I see...that's probably why I struggled...

View attachment 125481

I was going to basically add the Anderson block on the bare cables above...

I'll look into the tools need for the MC4 connection... Would the Anderson block do as a temporary or not advised?
As a temp measure sure... it will work.

But id look at swapping the connection over to mc4 at your earliest convenience.

Thanks Dell as always, very much appreciated!

Will take your advice and have just bought these so will check your other post on making up the wire again.

1627655576800.png

Always keen to learn, might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but what's the safety difference between the 2, isn't there are only one way the Andersons can go together like the MC4 so no chance of reverse polarity etc or am I missing something obvious? Or you mean someone plugging another Anderson into that, connected to something else, because they can essentially.

Thanks Dell as always, very much appreciated!

Will take your advice and have just bought these so will check your other post on making up the wire again.

View attachment 125484

Always keen to learn, might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but what's the safety difference between the 2, isn't there are only one way the Andersons can go together like the MC4 so no chance of reverse polarity etc or am I missing something obvious? Or you mean someone plugging another Anderson into that, because they can essentially.
No you are correct . With that one specific instance in time and just that one conection, you would be ok.

Untill the point you have another cable.... say a neighbour has a Anderson extension lead. ..

Or a you get a second panel...in future..

Or any other connection in future...

Basically at any point in the future you are eliminating any risk of miss connecting a solar panel direct to a battery. . . . Or misconecting a solar side to a power side.

Do it right first time then you are good and safe moving forwards.... even when you sell the van onwards.

No you are correct . With that one specific instance in time and just that one conection, you would be ok.

Untill the point you have another cable.... say a neighbour has a Anderson extension lead. ..

Or a you get a second panel...in future..

Or any other connection in future...

Basically at any point in the future you are eliminating any risk of miss connecting a solar panel direct to a battery. . . . Or misconecting a solar side to a power side.

Do it right first time then you are good and safe moving forwards.... even when you sell the van onwards.
Got it, makes sense, thanks again as always!

So does anyone sell a kit that you can simply attach to the positive/negative on the leisure battery, turn on and it’s being charged? I see a fuse is required, so why don’t people offer this?
I want to add to the battery then have a smart looking connector on the seat base, what’s the go to stylish plug option? Thanks

Last edited:
Folks, time to pull the trigger on a portable solar panel, I've looked into permanent fix to the roof but we have a Hilo pop-top and it looks like a bit of a mission to retro fit. We would only need it occasionally, extended camping trips etc. so i think portable will be fine.

All my other kit is Renogy but they don't seem to do the flexible lightweight panels anymore and think one of the suitcase ones (like @Dellmassive recent purchase!) may be a bit harder to store (think i can probably store the flexible one in the roof when it's down as they look pretty slimline).

What's the general consensus on best brand out of the flexible stuff on amazon etc? Dokio, Lensun, Accopower etc. seem to be fairly comparable. From experience do any of them stand out from a quality perspective. Would want it to run loads (mostly fridge and phone charging etc.) and ideally keep the leisure battery topped up so thinking 100-150w.

Probably a toss-up between these?

Lensun 160w - (£202 looks like a special offer for UK only, same one is £379 on Amazon...)
Lensun 160W ( 4 x 40W) 12V ETFE Flexible Folding Solar Panel with MC4 Connector only 4.2kgs/ 9.3 lbs!!! Charging for RV, Boat, Cabin,Tent Car

Lensun 100w

Dokio 150w - £160

Dokio 200w - £203

Accopower stuff seems to be out of stock at the moment, that Lensun 160w one looks like a good deal, question is for the same price you can get a 200w Dokio, are Lensun a better build?? Dokio seems to get pretty mixed reviews on Amazon...(*EDIT and i just saw the post about the burnt cable!)

Probably a question for @Dellmassive, i've got the Renogy DC-DC which has built in MPPT so looking at the Renogy manual i'd be doing something like this:

View attachment 124132

So I'm thinking I would need an M8 eyelet (DC-DC end) to MC4 cable, then put one of these fuses between M8 eyelet and POS MC4 cable.

M8 Eyelet -> MC4 cables don't seem to readily exist so assuming I would have to make one up.
My wife and I are thinking the same in relation to buying the portable solar panel as opposed attaching to the pop top for the same reasons. Being a non tech person, what do I need to buy apart from the panel. I assume I can attach directly to my leisure battery located under the seat but I have read I need to be mindful of over charging the leisure battery. Please can I have a list of what to buy, do's and don't and instruction videos. As I said, non tech person so help needed. Happy camping

So does anyone sell a kit that you can simply attach to the positive/negative on the leisure battery, turn on and it’s being charged? I see a fuse is required, so why don’t people offer this?
I want to add to the battery then have a smart looking connector on the seat base, what’s the go to stylish plug option? Thanks
I'd like the same. Lol

@GazGringe what you need is a starter kit that has all you need.

this will be:

a mobile solar panel,
a solar charge controller,
a link cable to connect to the battery.

NOTE: - You must NOT connect a solar panel direct to a battery . . . . a solar controller must always be used.

+++++

have a look here, there are a few examples for you to choose from.

+++

short cut --> get this budget 120W Blue Fusion kit. --> clip onto battery terminals --> job done.

1628146985584.png1628146993887.png1628147002778.png

or get the Premium Renogy solar suitcase kit :

1628147070675.png1628147104633.png1628147113332.png1628147122915.png1628147170311.png

As someone who followed @Dellmassive advice and bought the Renogy all in one in one suitcase I can report that I am absolutely delighted with it.
It is literally plug and play, strong, well made and comes in a good case. OK it’s heavy but that also has the advantage that it wont get blown over.
Price wise if you ask him nicely he can give you a code for a nice discount and if you time it for one of Renogy frequent sales then you can get a decent saving.

As someone who followed @Dellmassive advice and bought the Renogy all in one in one suitcase I can report that I am absolutely delighted with it.
It is literally plug and play, strong, well made and comes in a good case. OK it’s heavy but that also has the advantage that it wont get blown over.
Price wise if you ask him nicely he can give you a code for a nice discount and if you time it for one of Renogy frequent sales then you can get a decent saving.
Could you confirm how you get the discount code please? I want to buy one of these.

Could you confirm how you get the discount code please? I want to buy one of these.
Mike, I have a horrible feeling that they are currently sold out direct from Renogy where you can use the discount code dellmassive will probably give you.
the one listed is the one which does not have the controller which you must have,

@Mike Dean

The 10% discount is valid on the Renogy UK site

I can get you a discount at Renogy United Kingdom

they are currently only showing the 200W version in stock . . 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase

and the WO - without controller version of the 100W kit ... 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase w/o Controller

+++++

so atm you are better off going to Renogy store on Amazon.

1628158073482.png

Here is a link back to my 100W Renogy suitcase . .

FYI . .

here is a link back to my 200w version of the Renogy solar suitcase.

FYI . . .

this is my 100w Renogy suitcase in its current role. . . Solar powered swimming Pool.

its running the pool filter pump...

its connected to a SLA AGM battery in the battery box. . . . which has a small inverter thats running the pump.

1628158849460.png1628158859423.png1628158872007.png

easy job:

parts are:

++++

Back