[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

What solar controller?

Victron...?

Epever . . . ?

Finally got the chance to get the Lensun solar blanket connected up and try it out! Only one problem, I have no idea what the Bluetooth password is to connect to the MPPT controller and left the instruction book at home so can’t tell you how it’s performing! ‍Oops!

Anyone know if the MPPT Pro has a default password?!

View attachment 123820
Try 000000 (6 zeros)

PV Logic

Unfortunately 6 zeroes didn’t work but good call, it was one I hadn’t tried!
Try this

How do I connect my phone?​

You must first install the software from the App store corresponding to your phone.

Once it's installed, open the app and click on the connect button. This will then search for Bluetooth devices, select the device called PV- xxxxxx (the x’s will be numbers). The app will now ask for a password. This is the numbers after PV-. Once entered you will see the data coming from the controller.

Try this

How do I connect my phone?​

You must first install the software from the App store corresponding to your phone.

Once it's installed, open the app and click on the connect button. This will then search for Bluetooth devices, select the device called PV- xxxxxx (the x’s will be numbers). The app will now ask for a password. This is the numbers after PV-. Once entered you will see the data coming from the controller.
You sir are a genius! That’s fantastic, I’m now connected. Had already disconnected the panels and switched to mains hookup, but I’ll get them set up tomorrow and share some screenshots.

Thanks a lot for finding that for me!

Folks, time to pull the trigger on a portable solar panel, I've looked into permanent fix to the roof but we have a Hilo pop-top and it looks like a bit of a mission to retro fit. We would only need it occasionally, extended camping trips etc. so i think portable will be fine.

All my other kit is Renogy but they don't seem to do the flexible lightweight panels anymore and think one of the suitcase ones (like @Dellmassive recent purchase!) may be a bit harder to store (think i can probably store the flexible one in the roof when it's down as they look pretty slimline).

What's the general consensus on best brand out of the flexible stuff on amazon etc? Dokio, Lensun, Accopower etc. seem to be fairly comparable. From experience do any of them stand out from a quality perspective. Would want it to run loads (mostly fridge and phone charging etc.) and ideally keep the leisure battery topped up so thinking 100-150w.

Probably a toss-up between these?

Lensun 160w - (£202 looks like a special offer for UK only, same one is £379 on Amazon...)
Lensun 160W ( 4 x 40W) 12V ETFE Flexible Folding Solar Panel with MC4 Connector only 4.2kgs/ 9.3 lbs!!! Charging for RV, Boat, Cabin,Tent Car

Lensun 100w

Dokio 150w - £160

Dokio 200w - £203

Accopower stuff seems to be out of stock at the moment, that Lensun 160w one looks like a good deal, question is for the same price you can get a 200w Dokio, are Lensun a better build?? Dokio seems to get pretty mixed reviews on Amazon...(*EDIT and i just saw the post about the burnt cable!)

Probably a question for @Dellmassive, i've got the Renogy DC-DC which has built in MPPT so looking at the Renogy manual i'd be doing something like this:

1626710761863.png

So I'm thinking I would need an M8 eyelet (DC-DC end) to MC4 cable, then put one of these fuses between M8 eyelet and POS MC4 cable.

M8 Eyelet -> MC4 cables don't seem to readily exist so assuming I would have to make one up.

Last edited:
Folks, time to pull the trigger on a portable solar panel, I've looked into permanent fix to the roof but we have a Hilo pop-top and it looks like a bit of a mission to retro fit. We would only need it occasionally, extended camping trips etc. so i think portable will be fine.

All my other kit is Renogy but they don't seem to do the flexible lightweight panels anymore and think one of the suitcase ones (like @Dellmassive recent purchase!) may be a bit harder to store (think i can probably store the flexible one in the roof when it's down as they look pretty slimline).

What's the general consensus on best brand out of the flexible stuff on amazon etc? Dokio, Lensun, Accopower etc. seem to be fairly comparable. From experience do any of them stand out from a quality perspective. Would want it to run loads (mostly fridge and phone charging etc.) and ideally keep the leisure battery topped up so thinking 100-150w.

Lensun 160w - (£202 looks like a special offer for UK only, same one is £379 on Amazon...)
Lensun 160W ( 4 x 40W) 12V ETFE Flexible Folding Solar Panel with MC4 Connector only 4.2kgs/ 9.3 lbs!!! Charging for RV, Boat, Cabin,Tent Car

Lensun 100w

Dokio 150w - £160

Dokio 200w - £203

Accopower stuff seems to be out of stock at the moment, that Lensun 160w one looks like a good deal, question is for the same price you can get a 200w Dokio, are Lensun a better build?? Dokio seems to get pretty mixed reviews on Amazon...

Probably a question for @Dellmassive, i've got the Renogy DC-DC which has built in MPPT so presumably i'd be cutting the built in charger off anything and making a cable with quick connects to go straight into the DC-DC, running the cable out the window etc?

The 160w Lensun doesn't come with a charge controller, just MC4 cables so would need something that goes from MC4 to the DC-DC terminal.
I know you said you had crossed the Renogy suitcase from your list but as someone who in the last few weeks has bought one I just thought a few positive notes might change your mind.
The panels come in a strong high quality zip up case
They hinge open and inside are two strong adjustable brackets so you can angle them
There is loads of room within the folded panels to store all your cables and other bits and bobs
They are sturdy and well made
So they are literally an ‘all in one’ with everything in one place, my thoughts with the thin panels is that by the time you have found a home for the cables, splitters and something to prop them up with then they will probably take up almost as much room?
On a negative the price of them seems to have almost doubled in the past week (sale due next week) and they are heavy.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I was also looking for a more sturdy 100w panel and I decided on the Mobisolar 100w folding panel. It has built in panel supports, magnetic catches, storage pocket etc. All for £136.
I've been testing it for the past few days and it has performed perfectly.

I was also looking for a more sturdy 100w panel and I decided on the Mobisolar 100w folding panel. It has built in panel supports, magnetic catches, storage pocket etc. All for £136.
I've been testing it for the past few days and it has performed perfectly.

Thanks for sharing, are you plugging this into a charge controller to charge leisure battery or just using the direct outputs etc. (USB)? I notice the output for DC is a an XT60 connector, not familiar with that one, have you found a suitable cable to go from that to an MPPT controller?

Lensun 100w

Dokio 150w - £160

Dokio 200w - £203

Accopower stuff seems to be out of stock at the moment, that Lensun 160w one looks like a good deal, question is for the same price you can get a 200w Dokio, are Lensun a better build?? Dokio seems to get pretty mixed reviews on Amazon...(*EDIT and i just saw the post about the burnt cable!)

Probably a question for @Dellmassive, i've got the Renogy DC-DC which has built in MPPT so looking at the Renogy manual i'd be doing something like this:

View attachment 124132

So I'm thinking I would need an M8 eyelet (DC-DC end) to MC4 cable, then put one of these fuses between M8 eyelet and POS MC4 cable.

M8 Eyelet -> MC4 cables don't seem to readily exist so assuming I would have to make one up.
out of the ones you listed i would choose the lensun....

they are a premium brand, Dokio is a budget brand. as such the cells have a better spec with the Lensun and generate a better output.

I've got a couple of these . . . they tested out great.

1626714105566.png

Thanks for sharing, are you plugging this into a charge controller to charge leisure battery or just using the direct outputs etc. (USB)? I notice the output for DC is a an XT60 connector, not familiar with that one, have you found a suitable cable to go from that to an MPPT controller?
It has 2 x DC outputs. 5521 normally used for portable power stations (cable included) and a XT60 which can handle up to 65a. A XT60 to bare wire cable is also included. So I use the 5521 for my portable power station (built in MPPT) and use the XT60 with my Victron 75/15 and leisure batteries. I have extended the XT60 cable with 2 x 5m cables to add some flexibility. They also include a 5521 female to bare wire cable so that you can connect that output to a MPPT. The choice is yours and both outputs can be used simultaneously. You can easily pick up a XT60 or 5521 to MC4 cable if you prefer that type of connection.

I’ve got the lensun 160w one, I’m very happy with it, the extra cables I bought fit in the pocket at the front. Don’t forget they said they would give 5% discount with T6F5 code - every little helps

I’ve got the lensun 160w one, I’m very happy with it, the extra cables I bought fit in the pocket at the front. Don’t forget they said they would give 5% discount with T6F5 code - every little helps
Thanks, tried to put that code in but it says invalid so assuming it's dead now...

I notice there's 2 versions of the 160w, about £30 difference, one is a 4 panel and the other (more expensive) is a 3 panel. Same output but the 3 panel is more efficient technology from the looks of it. It's lighter and smaller fully opened but folded annoyingly about the same.

Is yours the 4 panel?

Thanks, tried to put that code in but it says invalid so assuming it's dead now...

I notice there's 2 versions of the 160w, about £30 difference, one is a 4 panel and the other (more expensive) is a 3 panel. Same output but the 3 panel is more efficient technology from the looks of it. It's lighter and smaller fully opened but folded annoyingly about the same.

Is yours the 4 panel?
I’ve got the 4 panel one, the code should work- email them and see what they say, I’ve attached a screenshot of their email to me64EA146D-2326-401F-959C-865A1EB8E7E3.png

Update, was my fault, was putting the code in the gift certificate section rather than coupon!

Had a reply form the same Mandy and she confirmed the discount etc.

I went for the 160w from Lensun in the end and paid a little extra (£30) for the 3-panel version (rather than 4 panel) to take up a little less space.

Specs for the panel are below:

1626777954110.png

Have purchased one of these to connect to the Renogy DC-DC, 4.0mm cable which if I understand correctly is good up to 39A. Max charging amps of the Renogy Solar input is 25A and if I understand correctly the most i can expect from the panel is 8.89A in ideal conditions.

1626778036444.png

Question, will this extension be OK or do I need something a bit thicker??

The panel is 160w, this suggests its good up to 100w...It's 2.5mm so rated for 28A, yet the description suggests applications up to 8A...is that because they have calculated for voltage drop?? Am I ever likely to exceed 8A...does anyone actually achieve the optimum test ratings in a real world scenario?

OR should I be airing on the side of caution and finding a thicker cable??

1626778469372.png

Just a word of warning for anyone considering buying direct from Lensun Solar, I'm currently having a nightmare with them...

Ordered from their website which states 2-4 days delivery... Several days later and no communication since placing the order so I contacted them after tracking details.

They came back to me to say that the UK warehouse they mention on the website is actually just Amazon and that the order had been passed on to Amazon but Amazon 'hadn't arranged it yet' and that I should contact Amazon myself to chase it....

I pushed back and explained I ordered from them not Amazon and it was up to them to sort out and get me a delivery date...

Several days later, still nothing so contacted them again last night for an update and the latest is, 'Amazon will not deliver to my address can I provide an alternative address'.

I should say I'm a Prime member and get several Amazon packages delivered every week.

This is clearly nonsense and starting to sound very dodgy indeed so have told them they have 24hrs before I contact PayPal to raise a dispute for a refund.

Just beware, they don't have a warehouse in the UK, they're a Chinese company using Amazon for UK fulfilment but clearly something here doesn't add up!

Just a word of warning for anyone considering buying direct from Lensun Solar, I'm currently having a nightmare with them...

Ordered from their website which states 2-4 days delivery... Several days later and no communication since placing the order so I contacted them after tracking details.

They came back to me to say that the UK warehouse they mention on the website is actually just Amazon and that the order had been passed on to Amazon but Amazon 'hadn't arranged it yet' and that I should contact Amazon myself to chase it....

I pushed back and explained I ordered from them not Amazon and it was up to them to sort out and get me a delivery date...

Several days later, still nothing so contacted them again last night for an update and the latest is, 'Amazon will not deliver to my address can I provide an alternative address'.

I should say I'm a Prime member and get several Amazon packages delivered every week.

This is clearly nonsense and starting to sound very dodgy indeed so have told them they have 24hrs before I contact PayPal to raise a dispute for a refund.

Just beware, they don't have a warehouse in the UK, they're a Chinese company using Amazon for UK fulfilment but clearly something here doesn't add up!
That sounds odd. I bought mine direct from them and it didn’t have any Amazon branding on the packaging

That sounds odd. I bought mine direct from them and it didn’t have any Amazon branding on the packaging
Tried calling them several times this morning and the line rings then goes dead...

Got a call back immediately after fr a number in the US, answered, no one on the end, then hung up....

Something very odd going on with them...

Please keep us updated on Lensun as was just about to place my order his week. Will hold off to see how things pan out now.

Back