[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Please keep us updated on Lensun as was just about to place my order his week. Will hold off to see how things pan out now.
I would certainly hang fire as they've gone quiet on me today, no reply on the phone or email.

@Rapt0rUK Thanks mate. Will investigate other options now. Did like the look of the All Powers 100w originally, so will go back and take a look at that and what availability. If you do get joy from Lensun let us know.

Coincidentally they have just emailed me asking me to post a review- my service from them was good although the panel I ordered was not in stock so I was offered an up grade at a discount and it came quickly. The panels are very good quality so might be worth persevering but it does make me wonder what their aftercare will be like if they go wrong. I’m not rushing to write a review.

Coincidentally they have just emailed me asking me to post a review- my service from them was good although the panel I ordered was not in stock so I was offered an up grade at a discount and it came quickly. The panels are very good quality so might be worth persevering but it does make me wonder what their aftercare will be like if they go wrong. I’m not rushing to write a review.
Last email to them this afternoon was that if I didn't hear something back in the next 24hrs I'd be pursuing a refund so let's see if there's anything by the morning...will keep you posted.

Update this morning - no communication direct from Lensun but received shipping confirmation with a tracking link that goes through to an Amazon website that quickly redirects to Swiship...

After a bit of googling, seems Swiship is a tracking portal for Amazon FBA orders, so it is indeed coming from an Amazon warehouse. Tracking states it's due to be delivered tomorrow so let's see.

I think it could well just be a case of poor customer service/communication which is often the case with Chinese businesses operating in Europe. To be told to contact Amazon myself and then be asked for an alternative delivery address (as Amazon can't ship here) is pretty disconcerting but had they not said any of that and simply said that 'shipping is delayed' I probably wouldn't have been concerned.

Will update tomorrow to let you know if it arrives, assuming it does, may just be a case of taking their 1-2 days shipping estimates on the site with a big pinch of salt. Like you say though, doesn't fill you with confidence should their be an issue, are they going to ask me to contact Amazon if there's a problem!?

So after all that, just turned up out the blue a day earlier than the tracking suggested!

20210729_114616.jpg

Better late than never...

I'd bought one of these cables to connect to the battery charger.

20210729_115227.jpg

The panel comes with an adapter for Anderson connectors... Every day's a school day, I've just learnt that Anderson connectors come in different sizes!

20210729_115235.jpg

20210729_122304.jpg

So looks like I need to make up a new cable, would you guys suggest I cut the end off the one supplied with the panel and fit a bigger plug or vice versa, cut the one at the charger end and fit a smaller plug?

The one that came with the panel (smaller) seems a bit flimsy and the cable is much thinner...the Amazon one is rated to 50A...which may well be overkill.

Any suggestions on which is the best way to go with it??

Last edited:
@Rapt0rUK this really made me smile as I just learnt this to. Collected my van today to find that my installer had installed the smaller anderson connectors and I expected the larger. I've got similar questions to you. The cable seems thin (although Im assured its sufficient) and the actual connectors are flimsy. Wondering if its better to buy the larger anderson connector to put that on?

I think most people use mc4 connectors to connect the panel to the solar controller and Anderson connectors between the controller and the battery- this prevents it be connected wrongly in error

I think most people use mc4 connectors to connect the panel to the solar controller and Anderson connectors between the controller and the battery- this prevents it be connected wrongly in error
Yep that's the plan, the panel came with a short adapter cable, MC4 to (small) Anderson, so my plan was to use the MC4 cable, then where it meets the battery charger/controller, Anderson... but they're a different size...

Seems Anderson connectors come in various sizes dependent on cable size/AMP rating...

This was a pretty useful video from 12v planet

I have a feeling the cable i've got from Battery Charger terminals (M8) to 50A Anderson is going to be too thick to try and fit into the smaller Anderson terminals which will match the cable that came with the panel... There's a pretty big difference in cable size. Vice Versa, I think trying to put the larger Anderson onto the thinner wire that came with the panel might be a bit tricky...hard to say as i don't actually know the wire gauge of the one that came with the panel...

I think most MC4 cable tends to be 4mm but this obviously steps down...

20210729_143855.jpg

One of them is going to have to be re-made....just a case of which one...

@Dellmassive You're the master of this stuff, any advice for us?

thanks @Rapt0rUK , will wait on Dellmassive's advice. Will take pics of mine later and post those up. My mini andersons are situated under the bonnet ready to take my mobile solar (run from my MPPT). So assuming the Lensun panel comes with those connectors like yours then I'm technically good to go I guess if I can get a delivery of the Lensun. I guess others will also be similar.

So the panel comes like this, a length of cable with MC4 connections...

20210729_144100.jpg

And then mine has a few different short lengths/adapters...

20210729_144314.jpg

So the MC4 to Anderson cable should do you.

I've just got to work out how to get from this to this...

20210729_144505.jpg

thanks, brilliant. Yes looks like I would be sorted with the standard connections. 30A cable so should be plenty for my planned 100wx2 panels in parallel

those smaller RED/BLACK connectors are called Power Pole . . . (but made by Anderson ect)

i would just ditch that lead and go with the standard convention..

@Rapt0rUK what solar controller are you using?

i always use MC4 for solar side and 50A Anderson for the power side.

Bear in mind frat the Mc4 connectors are brittle (well mine are) and if you keep plugging them in and out then the clips soon snap off and the case cracks, so these are best used for the more permanent connections.

those smaller RED/BLACK connectors are called Power Pole . . . (but made by Anderson ect)

i would just ditch that lead and go with the standard convention..

@Rapt0rUK what solar controller are you using?

i always use MC4 for solar side and 50A Anderson for the power side.
Thanks @Dellmassive, I'm using the 50A Renogy DC to DC with built in MPPT hence needing to get from MC4 to M8 eyelets somehow... The solar input goes straight onto M8 lugs... So I need some sort of fused quick disconnect solution that's close to the Renogy box under the seat.

That 50A tail lead from Amazon would be perfect but it's a different size connector and cable thickness to the Powerpole adapter/cable that came with the panel...

gotcha . . .

this is what i done with my Renogy DC50,

i just made up my own cables. . . with luggs, cable, mc4, heat shrink etc etc.

1627639137521.png

1627639165380.png

then i added the MC4 solar conection>>>

1627639453056.png

1627639463511.png

1627639485362.png

gotcha . . .

this is what i done with my Renogy DC50,

i just made up my own cables. . . with luggs, cable, mc4, heat shrink etc etc.

View attachment 125430

View attachment 125431

then i added the MC4 solar conection>>>

View attachment 125432

View attachment 125433

View attachment 125434
Thanks Dell, thought it was going to be a case of making up a cable. Just trying to work out the most economical way with the bit sand pieces i've got.

So I'm thinking if I keep the Amazon cable (this one)

1627645202755.png

as it already has an inline fuse and battery lugs so saves me a couple of jobs...

So i'm thinking i would cut at the green circle where its still 2 wires (rather than the thinner cable at the yellow point - assuming the cables cores are actually different) and then put a bigger Anderson connector on there. It's a portable panel so want a quick-disconnect solution, that will be my disconnect point so i'm not having to try and take apart MC4 connectors which are trickier.

That would work right? No issue with putting an Anderson connector on PV wire??

So assuming that cable is 4mm PV wire, I just need to get the right Anderson block and terminal ends...

1627645625606.png

Just got one of these...so hoping i can splice that onto the end of the PV cable.

1627647515110.png

Last edited:
Mc4 conectors are single use... once crimped and fitted... thats it.

So cut them off and fit new.

i would keep theis cable.

but cut off the Anderson connector.

1627653520527.png

that would then be bolted on to the Renogy DC50 MPPT as the solar input. . . . . .

i would then crimp new MC4 connectors on the bare cable ends . .

1627653617612.png

. . .

that will give you the quick - disconnect under the seat . . . or where ever.

+++++++++++++

next id use a MC4 to MC4 extension cable to get out to the location of the panel. - out in the sun away from the van.

1627653996346.png

++++

then plug that into your solar panel . .

i would keep theis cable.

but cut off the Anderson connector.

View attachment 125459

that would then be bolted on to the Renogy DC50 MPPT as the solar input. . . . . .

i would then crimp new MC4 connectors on the bare cable ends . .

View attachment 125460

. . .

that will give you the quick - disconnect under the seat . . . or where ever.

+++++++++++++

next id use a MC4 to MC4 extension cable to get out to the location of the panel. - out in the sun away from the van.

View attachment 125474

++++

then plug that into your solar panel . .
Cheers Dell,

Are MC4 ok as quick disconnects? They're not that easy to take in and out with the pins and saw someone mention that they can be a bit brittle and break over time. I'll be plugging in and out fairly regularly...

Is there any issue with sticking the Anderson connector on the end of these?

20210730_150813.jpg

Bottom cable runs to the DC-DC and then the other cable connects to the leads on the panel (MC4), they can stay connected and then the break happens at the Anderson plugs?

Back