[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Dellmassive please can I tap into your seriously impressive knowledge for some advice?!

My converter has fitted an MPPT charge controller for me so I can use mobile panels, it's this one (PV Logic MPPT Pro). This is rated to 15A, and in various places I've seen it saying it can take anywhere from 180W to 225W.

I've just ordered the Lensun 200W solar blanket, is this going to be ok to use with my charge controller, or is it too close to the top end of its rating and would I be safer with a lower output panel? Thanks!
You need to have a look what the open circuit voltage of the panel is, Voc and then see if the mppt can handle that.

It looks like the panel now comes with a MPPT controller. I think in the past it had a PWM controller. Worst case, you can use the MPPT that comes with the panel if the one in the van isn’t up to the job. Both are rated to 15A but I couldn’t see what the VoC rating on the PV Logic one is.

Thanks both, what would the relevant voltage rating for the controller be listed under? From the handbook it's got:

Nominal System Voltage 12/24VDC (automatic system voltage recognition)
Battery Voltage Range 11-36V

And then another section

The below information is based on a 12v/24v Lead Acid battery however can change depending on the type of battery being charged

Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage 16V/32V
Charging Limit Voltage 15.5V/31V
Equalize Charging Voltage 14.8V/29.6V
Float Charging Voltage 13.8V/27.6V

Are any of these what I'm after? For the panel: Open Circuit Voltage [Voc]: 21.24V

@Nigel W

Your welcome.

For everyone else.... here is your 10% discount code.

@Dellmassive forgive me but can you help? My Renology panel is due this week and I tried to buy the Anderson parts you suggested to extend the lead from the battery but the long extension lead part is out of stock until August.
all I want is something to go from the leisure battery to the controller which, as you know, is fixed to the back of the panel. Can you suggest an alternative method?
I guess as a short term fix I can cut the croc clips off the lead supplied and crimp on battery connector but will it be long enough? Hopefully as you have one of these panels you can understand what I am trying to do - keep it simple for an idiot.
many thanks in advance
Nigel

update……..

just bought these - thought I will cut off the croc clips and then use this inbetween the supplied cable and controller?

D76FE78D-A2C7-499E-B63B-7068BB8854CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh hang on, I found something else which looks more relevant?

Maximum PV input voltage 40V DC
Edit: I cant even find the Voc on the manufacturor website:

15A MPPT Dual Battery Charge Controller

Edit: Misread previous post.

If the panel is this Lensun you linked in the earlier post then from the description:

Item Specifications:

Model: LS-200BK-MPPT-WE
Rated Power Output: 200W
Optimum Operating Voltage [Vmp]: 18V
Optimum Operating Current [Imp]: 11.11A
Open Circuit Voltage [Voc]: 21.24V
Short Circuit Current [Isc]: 12.22A
Cell Technology: Monocrystalline Solar Cells
Solar Cells Efficiency:22.5%
Production Tolerance: +3%
Output Type: Solar Cables, Solar Controller
Dimensions(unfolded): 1770 x 1100 x 5 mm/70 x 44 x 0.2 inch
Dimensions(folded): 380 x 380 x 75 mm/ 15 x 15 x 3 inch
Net. Weight: 7 kgs/15.4 lbs
All Technical data at standard test condition AM=1.5, E=1000W/mm, Tc=25℃

Oh hang on, I found something else which looks more relevant?

Maximum PV input voltage 40V DC
I found a copy of the manual on-line. I agree the VoC is 40V. Should be fine with the panel which looks to have a VoC of 21.24V

8A15E345-1D4C-413C-9C73-49FFC63B027F.jpeg

I found a copy of the manual on-line. I agree the VoC is 40V. Should be fine with the panel which looks to have a VoC of 21.24V

View attachment 119773

On the last line before the IMPORTANT SAFETY INFO heading it specifically stated 40V (VOC)

Brilliant, thank you all so much for clearing this up for me, I'm now very excited for my new panel to arrive!

Does anyone offer a solution that lets you plug into the vans hook-up to charge the leisure battery?

Mine does this anyway. Do you mean to charge a starter battery when on EHU?

I guess, sorry I haven't a clue about power supply. I had to google EHU!

So my current set up is Hook up/Starter battery/leisure battery/smart charger with various power sockets.
I'm installing a kitchen pod, with Dometic CRX 50 fridge and Water pump for Sink/Hob is a Dometic MO8221R.

What what I have been reading online, I will get 3ish days with the utilities on via the leisure battery, so when off grid 5 days I'm looking for a simple solution to give me that great juice I need?

@Mike Dean

if you EHU has a charger for the starter . . . then you can charge your leisure battery off that with a black box.

have a look at this thread:

@Dellmassive thanks for that.
I think the smart charger (I say smart but its just for the start stop highline?) is charging the leisure battery as I drive.

I'm looking for a simple solution that would be a direct solar set up plug and play into my EHU without touching the van wiring etc.

@Mike Dean

EHU is the 240v connection at the campsite . . .

so are you asking for a Solar setup (thats plug and play) for when you are OFF Grid and not on a camp with the 240vac?

prob best if you post a few pics of your vans setup.

starter battery,
leisure battery,
sockets, charger etc etc.

FYI simple plug and play are shown on post #1

Back