Review: CRS Performance - Koni Definition kit

I'm on standard setup (T32) and tbh the ride isn't to bad. Being a camper I take it steady anyway so works for us. The crashiness as you mentioned is a bug bear though. It doesn't appear you've seen much improvement in this area since the upgrade then?
Initially I thought there was a huge difference, but that feeling didn’t last. I’m not sure if there was a bit of placebo effect? I’m sure when the car or van has been on a ramp it feels better initially anyway.
With hindsight I wouldn’t rush out and do it. I’d wait until the shocks needed replacement and then I’d be happy. I think there is a difference- a certain improvement over OE bit is it worth the difference in cost?.. only just in my mind. Knowing this now, if I had other projects/hobbies to spend money my on as well I’d prioritise those.

I still find the ride quality embarrassing to be honest. Standard suspension is a shocker, upgrading makes it better but still poor so knowing I spent not an insignificant amount of cash to get just this far… I’m not happy. I keep expecting to see oil poring out of the shocks, or a broken spring but it’s all as it should be. Bushes are recent too. So I have standard height OE springs, Koni Special Active shocks and 215x65x16 tyres (nice deep sidewall) and the ride is still crashy. Not sure where to go but I don’t see myself spending any more cash on improvements to the suspension as I think it’s throwing money away. Rather put it towards a better van.

Thanks for the honest review @Lubrown :thumbsup: I have a T30 but was looking at pretty much the same setup. Perhaps I’ll save the cash given it’s a 23 plate!

Thanks for the honest review @Lubrown :thumbsup: I have a T30 but was looking at pretty much the same setup. Perhaps I’ll save the cash given it’s a 23 plate!
No problem. If mine were that new I’d definitely save the cash until the current shocks are on their way out.

Initially I thought there was a huge difference, but that feeling didn’t last. I’m not sure if there was a bit of placebo effect? I’m sure when the car or van has been on a ramp it feels better initially anyway.
With hindsight I wouldn’t rush out and do it. I’d wait until the shocks needed replacement and then I’d be happy. I think there is a difference- a certain improvement over OE bit is it worth the difference in cost?.. only just in my mind. Knowing this now, if I had other projects/hobbies to spend money my on as well I’d prioritise those.

I still find the ride quality embarrassing to be honest. Standard suspension is a shocker, upgrading makes it better but still poor so knowing I spent not an insignificant amount of cash to get just this far… I’m not happy. I keep expecting to see oil poring out of the shocks, or a broken spring but it’s all as it should be. Bushes are recent too. So I have standard height OE springs, Koni Special Active shocks and 215x65x16 tyres (nice deep sidewall) and the ride is still crashy. Not sure where to go but I don’t see myself spending any more cash on improvements to the suspension as I think it’s throwing money away. Rather put it towards a better van.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and update your experience. Much appreciated.

Do you still have the standard T32 springs in the rear >?? if so change them they are ridiculously hard and shocks cant help this on their own

Do you still have the standard T32 springs in the rear >?? if so change them they are ridiculously hard and shocks cant help this on their own
Thanks for replying Steve. Mine is a t28 on stock springs. Rear springs were replaced when I bought the van as one was broken, I think Sachs were used but they were the rating for the van. In normal driving set up it weighs 2260kg according to the local weighbridge but the ride isn’t great whether empty or fully loaded up.
Lower bushes on the front arm were also replaced to Powerflex and to be fair that improved the ride a tad.
Then the special actives were fitted and it improved again but I still feel this can’t be as good as it gets. The state of our roads obviously will test anything to the max but a Transit I drive handled potholes much better. Maybe they do anyway?

When I look at my van the wheel to arch height is so different, it could be an optical illusion or just in my head though.
So after reading Steve's advice about measuring from middle wheel vertically to the wheel arch lip, I know I am correct.
All measurements are approximate as I don't own a laser device :
Both fronts show 450 mm.
Rear nearside is 415 mm.
Rear offside is 425 mm.
I'm sure the van was initially used by a builder due to the detritus I have found in nooks and crannies.
So whilst I read contrary experiences that I do find helpful, I do hope my experience will be positive next Thursday.

Thanks for replying Steve. Mine is a t28 on stock springs. Rear springs were replaced when I bought the van as one was broken, I think Sachs were used but they were the rating for the van. In normal driving set up it weighs 2260kg according to the local weighbridge but the ride isn’t great whether empty or fully loaded up.
Lower bushes on the front arm were also replaced to Powerflex and to be fair that improved the ride a tad.
Then the special actives were fitted and it improved again but I still feel this can’t be as good as it gets. The state of our roads obviously will test anything to the max but a Transit I drive handled potholes much better. Maybe they do anyway?
Most users of both vans transporter and transit , say the transit is much better. I don’t have any transit experience so I can’t comment as to why this would be the case. One thing is for sure , when the new model comes out there shouldn’t be any difference. Ha ha.

Last edited:
That was my experience test driving them back to back, although I much preferred the VW power plants especially the 204..
Funny isnt it. This is my first foray into VW vans, and vans in general. I come from a background of driving 4x4 pickups, and must admit the drive and the engine noise and finesse, my knackered old Caravelle with its knackered old BiTDI 180 is amazingly powerful and smooth

Last edited:
Back