Front End Suspension Clunks - Im Losing My Mind!!

TeamD

T6 Pro
Today I had the top mounts replaced but still have terrible clunking sound at low speed especially when turning.

Just to recap:
New knoni suspension fitted allround
New drop links
New top mounts
New Front ARB Bushes

Still sounds and feels dreadful at low speeds especially when turning over speed bumps, pot holes in carparks etc

Also get clunks sometimes when changing between forwards and reverse

Its driving me mad and really taking the shine off the a van I’ve only had 8 weeks!

(I won’t mention the new Egr valve and cooler I’ve just had fitted - that’s another story!)

Any advice or tips anyone??

Thanks in advance

Yes, pretty sure it is. Will check tomorrow.

What do you think it could be based on that?

Dundee Kev will have a lot more idea than me would just throw in given all that you have replaced and the between forward and reverse info I have had duff engine/ gearbox mounting give a similar result.

What about engine mounts? Just done mine at 90k miles and they were done in. The lower arm joints are a weak point too, my originals only lasted 30k miles and shagged my front dampers they were moving around so much. Now on Powerflex bushes for those and still good but just about to refresh the other bits you have already done, top mounts and drop links, and all the rear bushes at the same time as everything is getting a little noisy over bumps.

Yes, pretty sure it is. Will check tomorrow.

What do you think it could be based on that?
You can get very loose brake pads in their carriers. When you hit a bump, they rattle like mad.

Also, when the pads are loose like that when you brake going one direction it lifts the pads and they clunk, when you go the opposite way it will pull the pad the opposite direction and clunk again. Normally if you thump the wheel, you would hear the rattle.

Do you have a small local garage that has an MOT ramp or pit with one person testing setup? It might be worth popping in to ask them to put the van on the shaker plates to see if it shows up the rattle on them

Today I had the top mounts replaced but still have terrible clunking sound at low speed especially when turning.

Just to recap:
New knoni suspension fitted allround
New drop links
New top mounts
New Front ARB Bushes

Still sounds and feels dreadful at low speeds especially when turning over speed bumps, pot holes in carparks etc

Also get clunks sometimes when changing between forwards and reverse

Its driving me mad and really taking the shine off the a van I’ve only had 8 weeks!

(I won’t mention the new Egr valve and cooler I’ve just had fitted - that’s another story!)

Any advice or tips anyone??

Thanks in advance
Have you checked the track rod ends?
If they're very worn you could get clunking noises travelling over broken surfaces or potholes.

All good suggestions here. If the clunking is anything like I had, clunking but more like loud bangs on occasion, I would put my money on front control arm bushes. I changed a whole lot at once and it’s been good ever since.

I’ve noticed today that I get the clunks when the wheel drops into a put hole at low speed. Almost as the suspension extends rather than compresses - if that makes sense.

Back