Clunk clunk clunk

Fair points. I was hoping to get out last night for another look at it but the torrential rain put paid to that.

Powerflex bushes turned up yesterday, just waiting for the garage appt to get them fitted (along with whatever else they find).

ta.

Hi any joy with this? We have a T6 with a very similar issue, I'm literally at the point of wanting to get rid of the van but my wife loves it ( its hers ). We have put brand new bluebird customs coilover kit on it, new meyle hd top mounts, d bushes changed, drop links changed, no joy. I have an almost rattle type clunk when going over pot holes rough ground.

Its driving me mad, literally. I've taken under trays off, thinking its those as one was damaged, I've even had arch liner out passenger side as that's where it sounds like the rattle is coming from.

Any help genuinely appreciated.

Fair points. I was hoping to get out last night for another look at it but the torrential rain put paid to that.

Powerflex bushes turned up yesterday, just waiting for the garage appt to get them fitted (along with whatever else they find).

ta.
any joy???

Nothing yet. I’ve basically given up and booked it in to a garage on the 8th. I’ll post as/when I have any sort of update.

Ok, stay in touch then as its driving me bananas, have to get to bottom of it. Tried attaching a video but its too big?? bloomin forums, facebook far easier for sharing media.

Put your video on YouTube and the link to it on here, Facebook is local news compared to the global reach of this forum.:thumbsup:

I've had another thought on the rattle clunk, the springs can sometimes break at the top. That would cause a noise when going over bumps.

I've had another thought on the rattle clunk, the springs can sometimes break at the top. That would cause a noise when going over bumps.

Not srpings in my case. I'll re-sumarise items changed below:

1. Springs
2. Shocks
3. Top mounts
4. Thrust bearings
5. Top caps and nuts
6. Drop links (checked torque on these, all good). Actually changed these twice since the noise sounds so like drop link failure. I also removed one drop link and took it out for a drive. The noise remianed so I don't think it can be the ARB bushes of clamps (which also look to be in perfect condition).

@kjb1, what have you tried/changed so far?

But not ball joints, which is definitely a source of clunking in my experience. Trouble is these days they're often riveted to the arm and so you have to try and get them out first.

But not ball joints, which is definitely a source of clunking in my experience. Trouble is these days they're often riveted to the arm and so you have to try and get them out first.

Indeed, these will be checked on the 8th along with a more comprehensive check on the lower arm bushes.

Occam's razor does suggest lower ball joints, just not been able to provoke in them when I checked myself.

Just an off the wall thought, have you checked the exhaust?

I chased a noise for ages on the the XC70 that turned out to be the mid exhaust box but as it reverberated along the lines of the exhaust it didn't seem to be coming from that location when driving.

Just an off the wall thought, have you checked the exhaust?

I chased a noise for ages on the the XC70 that turned out to be the mid exhaust box but as it reverberated along the lines of the exhaust it didn't seem to be coming from that location when driving.

I did think to mention that, but felt like because the clunk was near the front that it wouldn't be that. But it's so easy to check. I've had the heatshields come loose on two cars now, one VW, one Toyota.

Always worth checking the exhaust!. I've given it a good 'waggle' and it barely moves. Doesn't make a sound either.

Only section I've not really checked is right behind the engine. It's on the list of checks for the garage to do on their ramps.

Random one but I have noticed my airbox has a lot of front to back movement and I wonder wether that is causing clunking noises in mine?

Update:

Van went into a different (seemingly better) garage yesterday. I gave them the list of parts already replaced and the powerflex bushes to install.

They called back pretty quickly to say that the lower ball joints showed excessive movement. they weresurprised that the previous garage doing the shocks/springs hadn't already reported them to me. The lower arm bushes were worn but likely not the clunking issue.

They fitted the new bushes and a set of new lower ball joints. And.......

Well, it's better. The worst of the clunking (the really percussive thud) has gone but there is still a 'clattering sound' on some road surfaces. It feels much better and I'm happy to drive it again but I'm now left with nothing else to change to get ride of this last noise.

All I can imagine is that the really bad clunking from the lower ball joints was masking some other noise. maybe the ARB bushes are gone after all? They are the only parts left that I can change!

On the upside, the powerflex bushes have (as is widely reported) sharpened up the steering and stability under braking no end. So, that's a win I guess.

Maybe I'll just need to turn the radio up and ignore this last residual clattering sound.......

I was discussing this very idea at the garage yesterday!
Daft maybe… but have you made sure calipers are tight/ not rattling on the sliders…

Had this on my crafter, upon looking found the one caliper was loose on the sliders! ( I reckon it had new sliders installed and they cleaned/ drilled the bores with a 18mm drill) worth a nose?

Back