Clunk clunk clunk

Daft maybe… but have you made sure calipers are tight/ not rattling on the sliders…

Had this on my crafter, upon looking found the one caliper was loose on the sliders! ( I reckon it had new sliders installed and they cleaned/ drilled the bores with a 18mm drill) worth a nose?

There are no daft suggestions at this point! I'll add it to the list.

Toi reinforce a point I made in the previous post though. The worst clunking is resolved. You no longer feel large clunks resonating up through the floor. What we have now is just an irritating noise.

I only mention this since other people with 'the dreaded clunk' would be well advised to take a look at the lower ball joints. Occam's razor and all that, they should always be a first thing to check. Only issue was that they are tricky to check on the driveway and, somehow, the first garage we used just missed them.

The new garage didn't think the wishbone bushes were worn enough to be the culprit but I do still really like the sharper feel that has come with the powerflex bushes. As others have said, no apparent increase in road noise or deterioration in ride.

Okay, so after living with it for a couple of weeks. I think it's quiet enough. From the front.....

There is now a loud squeacking/creaking noise coming from the back of the van. What the h*ll is that now?

Honestly, it's driven me to start looking at one of these new Fordswagen Transitsters.....

Okay, so after living with it for a couple of weeks. I think it's quiet enough. From the front.....

There is now a loud squeacking/creaking noise coming from the back of the van. What the h*ll is that now?

Honestly, it's driven me to start looking at one of these new Fordswagen Transitsters.....

Just look up the problems with the Transit and its rather daft "wet belt" design, that should change your mind. A failed DPF regen results in diesel getting dumped into the sump which then attacks the belt, leading to engine failure. Not to mention rubber particles in the oil is bad news. There's been a recall on all 2.0 litre euro 6 Ford diesels.

The new 2.5 Duratech hybrid (230hp!) does not use the wet belt as far as I can tell. Seems to be a very old/unstressed engine with a bit of hybride wizadry

Looks like this too:

1714061874494.png

TBH though, I'd take a an old Leyland truck if it didn't perpetually clunk/squeak....

We had a clonk on ours , new shocks, springs, top mounts and drop links and it turns out that it was the arb bushes (despite not being able to find any movement in them ).

Just look up the problems with the Transit and its rather daft "wet belt" design, that should change your mind. A failed DPF regen results in diesel getting dumped into the sump which then attacks the belt, leading to engine failure. Not to mention rubber particles in the oil is bad news. There's been a recall on all 2.0 litre euro 6 Ford diesels.
There’s a wet belt on the Transporter driving the oil pump, no planned maintenance schedule, what could possibly go wrong?!

Back