Fridge power requirements

depends on your needs, but you could have a small removable chest fridge...

1591171884577.png

some of the above run of 12v cigar socket...

look at the mobicool fr40 compressor box.

stay away from thermo electric/peltier units. they are very power hungry.

I would be tempted just to use a cool box with ice blocks if it’s for day use. It’s a lot of money to buy a decent fridge.
It’s more portable too.

Pete

i fish a lot, pretty much every weekend throughout the year( beach fishing)
can be gone for 12--48 hrs a time, and have come to the conclusion that a decent igloo coolbox if far far more effie=cient than a fridge / freezer set up

keeps bait all well frozen, and all fillets fresh as well, over the full weekend as long as you pack it well with ice
dont mess about with food in it though as only eat bombay bad boy pot noodles and doritos when fishing :), and drink coke :)

You heathen, why no dessert?

haribo starmix mate

always got a bag or 4 in the van lol :)
las weekend when it was baking hot, foiund a bar of dairy milk in the door pocket, was almost liquid
10 mins in the igloo, and it was bang tidy again, just a little mishapen :)

i fish a lot, pretty much every weekend throughout the year( beach fishing)
can be gone for 12--48 hrs a time, and have come to the conclusion that a decent igloo coolbox if far far more effie=cient than a fridge / freezer set up

keeps bait all well frozen, and all fillets fresh as well, over the full weekend as long as you pack it well with ice
dont mess about with food in it though as only eat bombay bad boy pot noodles and doritos when fishing :), and drink coke :)
Thanks a lot mate,that’s spot on

Hi. Initially I was looking for a portable 3 way fridge that I can take out of the van and run on gas. I know compressor are better in many ways but how much power will this draw from a simple leisure battery system? Using only solar power is this a viable option or best go with plan A 3 way fridge ?

3way fridges are very poor on 12v dc power.

my 3way box draws about 80w and 6A-9A continuously ( 5hr on 100ah battery till flat )

compressor fridges are most economical and draw 2-6A cycling as the compressor runs on / off.

( 10-20hr on 100ah battery till flat )

solar with good kit will give you 6A per 100w in good sun.

so a 200w solar, generating around 12A, charging a 100ah AGM battery, should run indefinitely (provided its sunny during the day)

so i take the 3way frisge to EHU places or camping on gas.

and take the compressor fridge if its off grid 12v use.

you can get some good deals on compressor fridges these days . . .

have a look at these two. (Dometic cloans)

1591729711186.png

1591729690068.png

3way fridges are very poor on 12v dc power.

my 3way box draws about 80w and 6A-9A continuously ( 5hr on 100ah battery till flat )

compressor fridges are most economical and draw 2-6A cycling as the compressor runs on / off.

( 10-20hr on 100ah battery till flat )

solar with good kit will give you 6A per 100w in good sun.

so a 200w solar, generating around 12A, charging a 100ah AGM battery, should run indefinitely (provided its sunny during the day)

so i take the 3way frisge to EHU places or camping on gas.

and take the compressor fridge if its off grid 12v use.

you can get some good deals on compressor fridges these days . . .

have a look at these two. (Dometic cloans)

View attachment 73379

View attachment 73378

If a fridge was ran on 230v from an 12/230v inverter would this be more efficient?

If a fridge was ran on 230v from an 12/230v inverter would this be more efficient?
It depends on the fridge.

Some are more efficient on 240vac.

You need to test with a clamp meter..... 12v current drawn from 12v battery from 12v fridge vs 12v current drawn from battery thats running a inverter thats running the fridge.

It depends on the fridge.

Some are more efficient on 240vac.

You need to test with a clamp meter..... 12v current drawn from 12v battery from 12v fridge vs 12v current drawn from battery thats running a inverter thats running the fridge.
80w divided by 12v = 6.6a
80w divided by 230v = 0.33a

I have little electrical knowledge when it comes to DC and vehicles so I’m curious as I’m currently doing a conversion.

Yes.

But you need to add in the inverter conversion factor. About x10 times.

100w inverter will draw 10A from 12v battery (average approx).

1000w inverter will draw 100A.

So your 80w 240v 0.3A will actually draw around 8A by the inverter at 12v .....

Just try the power equation.

W=v*a

You also get inverter efficiency losses of 5-25%.

So you can get a rough idea on paper...... but a current meter will reveal the true numbers.

Yes.

But you need to add in the inverter conversion factor. About x10 times.

100w inverter will draw 10A from 12v battery (average approx).

1000w inverter will draw 100A.

So your 80w 240v 0.3A will actually draw around 8A by the inverter at 12v .....

Just try the power equation.

W=v*a

You also get inverter efficiency losses of 5-25%.

So you can get a rough idea on paper...... but a current meter will reveal the true numbers.

Thanks for the help

She has arrived. Plugged in and 22c down to 3c in about 15mins on mains supply. Looks good so fingers crossed. Quality looks ok and bag is better than expected.

Back