Help!!! Waeco CRX50 Low Voltage Error - Renogy Lithium Battery

Rapt0rUK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folks, have an issue with my fridge or potentially the lithium battery.

Setup is a Renogy 100ah Lithium, Renogy DC-DC charger. I have a strange issue where if the fridge has been switched off, when I turn it on there's a low voltage error (single flash of the warning light, first in the table below).

1000019156.jpg

It's been installed a couple of years and never had anu issue, just appeared out of nowhere.

The strange thing is, I can 'wake' it up and get it working by switching my diesel heater on (and off). It's almost as though the leisure battery isn't kicking out sufficient voltage until there's a big draw that seems to wake it up and the fridge compressor can't do it alone.

I've also had a situation where it won't switch on at all and my USB socket also goes dead yet the lights and the sink pump still work. I start pulling fuses and wiggling wires, nothing happens then all of a sudden I hear the fridge kick up and the USB socket comes on and it's all fine again.

Have checked all cables and connections and nothing obviously wrong...

I also have the Renogy battery display and that shows no obvious issues, good voltage, full charged etc.

Does this sound like the battery playing up, any ideas?

*Update*

I'm convinced there's an issue with the battery, just had an instance where the fridge was erroring, turned on the heater...light in the fridge started flickering, then completely went dead, fridge off, USB socket dead, diesel heater dead...despite that the LED lights still worked...few seconds later, everything comes back on like the battery BMS is doing some sort of reboot.

@Dellmassive any idea if these batteries can be hard reset to reset the BMS... it's a Renogy 100AH lithium... will get the seat out tomorrow and see if putting it in and out of shelf mode helps.

*Update*

Got the fridge going with the heater trick with the intention of leaving it on overnight to see if it stayed on. Came out this morning and fridge is warm and error light flashing.

Took the seat out and plugged the Bluetooth monitor directly into the battery and everything looks good with the battery.

Screenshot_20230611_085959_DC Home.jpg

I've stuck the battery on charge using the Victrom 15A charger and whilst plugged in the fridge still won't come on unless I do the heater trick...

No idea whether I'm dealing with a battery or fridge issue but need to get it sorted this week as I'm off to Glastonbury in the van next week and will be a bugger without a fridge!!

Basically the fridge only wants to stay on if I've got another large draw like the diesel heater pulling from the battery. Then once up and running it doesn't stay running which makes me think the battery is somehow going to sleep, even though the lights still work?

Because I need it sorting this week I'm in the place of buying new fridge or new battery and dealing with customer services later but need to know which one I should be buying...

Last edited:
If your ok with getting stuck into the electrics i would remove everything off the leisure battery, after turning off your dc-dc. Check voltage on the leisure battery, connect the fridge , switch on and see if it works. If it does work clean all connectors as you re-connect the other runs.

Weird behaviour like your describing suggests to me a connector issue, likely on the ground.
Does your fridge have an onboard dedicated on off switch or are you using the power setting control?

Maybe remove the vehicle battery and use it for a test. Disconnect the fridge from the leisure battery and connect the vehicle battery just to the fridge using the same wiring / fuse and connections.
You may have to fully charge the vehicle battery with a stand alone charger if it’s fitted with a smart alternator.
If the fridge runs without issues the problem must be with the leisure battery.

If your ok with getting stuck into the electrics i would remove everything off the leisure battery, after turning off your dc-dc. Check voltage on the leisure battery, connect the fridge , switch on and see if it works. If it does work clean all connectors as you re-connect the other runs.

Weird behaviour like your describing suggests to me a connector issue, likely on the ground.
Does your fridge have an onboard dedicated on off switch or are you using the power setting control?
thanks buddy, took your advice and stripped everything back and narrowed it down to a faulty earth connection. Think you were right. When I wiggled the cable from battery negative to my earth bus bar the fridge went on/off. Disconnected it and had a good look at the crimp/lug and there was a tiny build up of what looks like carbon on the lug. For good measure I made up a new cable with a new heavier grade lug and wired everything back up and low and behold it seems to be working so far, fingers crossed! No idea how thats happens as the bolt into the battery was nice and tight?

Back