Paulriddler

VIP Member
My van went for its first service at the dealers last Friday, they phoned me and said I had an oil leak from between the engine and gearbox. They’ve taken the gearbox out now and told me that I have oil leaking from the flywheel bolts and from an oil cooler seal above the gearbox, has anyone else had a similar problem?

I'm fairly sure the oil seen leaking from the flywheel bolts actually came from the leaking seal above.

Im inclined to agree, I get an oil cooler seal leaking but getting past flywheel bolts seems very unlikely.

I had a crankcase oil seal go, the cause was crank out of line, replacement engine at 12k Miles......

I read that thread when I was looking into this, I’m just hoping they know the difference in auto oil and engine oil.

Mine has been in for the same issue - it was picked up on the first inspection service. I have a Euro 5 140 DSG. I seems to have been OK since, done about 4K miles. Fingers crossed!

Hi my 2014 180dsg had same issue in first year I owned it from new, went into Vw, flywheel bolts or bolt letting oil leak out as the bolts pass through end of crankshaft and apparently are not sealed with correct loctite. Never leaked since.

Well mines due for another service and check before the warranty expires, looking under the van today it appears to be leaking again, not sure I want this hassle when it’s out of warranty so they better come up with a real fix because I’m not paying for them to fix oil leaks every year

Must be known problem because my 67 plate went in for its 1st service today, 23000 miles, year and a half old.
The technician has noted leaking flywheel bolts and egr pipe split.
Under warranty but to see an oil leak on a service and say the gearbox has got to come out? They are aware of an issue?
Mines a 204ps

Yep gearbox out of mine and they say they have sealed it again, I’ll get under it after a month or 2 and see if I can find any leaks again

Just been in for service - 2016 180 DSG 28k miles. Same issue reported. It's right on the warranty deadline, but they're fixing it. Seems like a known issue... Attached a picture of the problem (I think). It's from the mechanics health check video they send you after service.

IMG_4134.PNG

Not a dsg owner but surely when fixed at whatever age it gets a further 2 years on work carried out? Or at least some extended period?

Not sure James. I'd assume they'd put a warranty on the work done...

Anyone had an AC service and Brake Fluid change recommendation also?

Seems like it might be a trend for the dealer to suggest these after a few years, but it's not 'required', just a 'recommendation' - doesn't seem to a consensus on the forum wether to do it or not do it, with either issue. As in, if you left it they would cause damage, be dangerous...

Back